395 yards rushing

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember the LBs are also supposed to fill the gaps the RBs run through - it's not all on the down linemen.

erod

Reaction score
No, one was against the Super Bowl runner up Rams.

Not that I'm any happier about giving up a lot of yards against the Rams.
OK, that's right. And the game before those two, Dallas gave up 34 points to the Giants.

So that's three rough defensive outings in a row.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The cowboys have given up 395 yards rushing in their last two games(Rams/Giants).This will not work vs good teams. Our weakness is DT. Call up around the league see what DT we can acquire for Taco. Woods is a nice backup but just not good enough to start. Collins is the annual preseason champ. Get a big nasty DT in here to free up our LB’s.
the LBs are not playing well against the run either and where is the SS?

Cebrin

Reaction score
It's not purely the DL getting beat. As good as our linebackers are, they're not getting off blocks at all. Coaches need to be all over it. Playing contant soft zone doesn't help either. Either way, fortunately the red zone defense has done well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, that's right. And the game before those two, Dallas gave up 34 points to the Giants.

So that's three rough defensive outings in a row.

The Seahawks were sandwichded in their as well (str round of playoffs), and the defense was solid in that one, but the Colts game (game 14), Giants game (game 16) and Rams game (division round) were all poor showings for the run defense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not purely the DL getting beat. As good as our linebackers are, they're not getting off blocks at all. Coaches need to be all over it. Playing contant soft zone doesn't help either. Either way, fortunately the red zone defense has done well.

This is true. The Cowboys want the D-Line to get penetration and be disruptive, but that only works if the LBs are stepping into the running lanes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cowboys have given up 395 yards rushing in their last two games(Rams/Giants).This will not work vs good teams. Our weakness is DT. Call up around the league see what DT we can acquire for Taco. Woods is a nice backup but just not good enough to start. Collins is the annual preseason champ. Get a big nasty DT in here to free up our LB’s.

I agree, but I think thy need a more sound scheme than they're using as well. They're constantly selling out for a pass rush that doesn't happen and getting easily moved out of the way for huge run plays. This Marinelli trade-off of size and power for speed and agility has never paid off, and it isn't now. It's now reached the point where it's simply a liability with no assets.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got caught thinking of regular season.

As of this moment, we're highly overrating our defense, I fear. We'll know a lot more after we play the Saints and Packers.

I'm not overrating our defense. They weren't good and the DL is a real concern. We just got lucky the Giants decided to make it the Eli Manning show instead the Saquan Barkley show.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
if we score 35 a game we are going to be just fine....also remember saquan is an incredible RB

I wouldn't bank on us scoring 35 per game all season. As good as our offense looked Sunday, that was just one game and it was the Giants. We're going to face some much better teams than the Giants

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This is true. The Cowboys want the D-Line to get penetration and be disruptive, but that only works if the LBs are stepping into the running lanes.

Jaylon Smith was the lowest rated player on the team yesterday, surprisingly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not overrating our defense. They weren't good and the DL is a real concern. We just got lucky the Giants decided to make it the Eli Manning show instead the Saquan Barkley show.

I have to agree that not using Barkley more was a big mistake by the Giants.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Here's the problem with your rant. Yes the defense laid an egg against the Rams in the playoffs last season BUT for the season the Cowboys were the FIFTH best defense against the rush in the league. Now the first game of the season for many if not all teams do not play like they eventually will. The Cowboys also were running a makeshift defensive line without Quinn which will be one of the starting DE and not having Charlton. Also take away that 2nd rush of 59 yards for Barkley and he was held to under 65yards. A bad game in the playoffs after being one of the best rush defense for the season and then using the 1st game of a season as reason to hit the panic button is way way way way to early.