39yr Old College Player

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Link
Holtz says 39-year-old wideout will play when eligible
Sept. 20, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Lou Holtz wants to give "Pops" a chance. He's waiting on the NCAA to agree.

Holtz said Monday 39-year-old walk-on receiver Tim Frisby, nicknamed "Pops," will get to play for South Carolina this season once his eligibility is approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

South Carolina athletic spokesman Kerry Tharp said the review of Frisby's academic work is standard and the school expects no problems.

Frisby recently retired from the U.S. Army, where he was a Ranger-qualified military man with the 82nd Airborne. He served in Desert Storm and during the Kosovo conflict. He joined the Gamecocks during winter workouts and was invited back with the club after fall camp.

Frisby got to dress with the team for the Georgia game on Sept. 11 but did not play.

Tharp said there was no clearinghouse when Frisby finished playing at Allentown Catholic High in the mid-1980s.

"There wasn't even college boards when he graduated," the 67-year-old Holtz quipped. "He's back in my era. College boards, I thought that was back at the carpenter shop."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
wow, that's some crazy stuff.... and i thought weinke was old at FSU :confused: