4-3 defense > 3-4 defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
McCarthy has emphasized several times that they will be primarily a 4 man DL.

I'm certain that he wants to assure DLaw that his role will have minimal changes.

New DC Mike Nolan has used a hybrid 4-3/ / 3-4 in the past. He likes hybrid 4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB type players. Basically a stand-up 4-3 DE.

They can play a 3 man DL with the stand-up DE being considered an OLB. With the stand-up DE on the right side, they can keep DLaw in his same LDE spot with the same role that he had in the previous scheme.

Mike Nolan was doing many of the same things back in 2014 and earlier that Belichick has been doing the past couple of seasons.

Everything you said MAY, repeat MAY, happen on passing downs but as I said McCarthy has said several times that schemes he uses will be used that best fits the players he has. I take that as since the Cowboys defensive players are geared as a 4-3 defense that will be the base defense.
. No team plays their base defense 100% of the time. The all have sub packages they use in different situations but defenses are called base defenses for a reason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything you said MAY, repeat MAY, happen on passing downs but as I said McCarthy has said several times that schemes he uses will be used that best fits the players he has. I take that as since the Cowboys defensive players are geared as a 4-3 defense that will be the base defense.
. No team plays their base defense 100% of the time. The all have sub packages they use in different situations but defenses are called base defenses for a reason.
Nope. The primary changes will be in run defense.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nope. The primary changes will be in run defense.

Then what you're saying is the Cowboys will change to a base defense of 3-4 and they don't have the personnel to run the 3-4 as a base defense. You may want them to, but as McCarthy has said the Cowboys will run schemes that the players skill sets dictate. The Cowboys don't have the type of players to run the 3-4 as a base defense no matter how you think they can and still be an effective defense. If by some extraordinary miracle they do, you can come back and tell me so, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then what you're saying is the Cowboys will change to a base defense of 3-4 and they don't have the personnel to run the 3-4 as a base defense. You may want them to, but as McCarthy has said the Cowboys will run schemes that the players skill sets dictate. The Cowboys don't have the type of players to run the 3-4 as a base defense no matter how you think they can and still be an effective defense. If by some extraordinary miracle they do, you can come back and tell me so, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

No, that is not what I'm saying. I spelled it out very clearly in multiple posts in this thread.

Put some effort into and read through the entire thread.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, that is not what I'm saying. I spelled it out very clearly in multiple posts in this thread.

Put some effort into and read through the entire thread.

I will quote you so you can't say that wasn't what you said AGAIN. "They can play a 3 man DL with the stand-up DE being considered an OLB. With the stand-up DE on the right side, they can keep DLaw in his same LDE spot with the same role that he had in the previous scheme." If you're taking a down defensive lineman off the line and standing him up and "considering" him an OLB or adding a OLB you are saying a 3-4 defense.

Mike Nolan hasn't used just 3-4 or hybrid 3-4 defenses as a defensive coordinator. He has used 4-3 defenses too. Again McCarthy has stated that he will use schemes that fit the skill sets the players have. From that people would presume that he's given that same message to his coordinators too. The Cowboys don't have the personnel to run a successful 3-4 defense as a base defense and like all teams the Cowboys have and will continue to have sub packages used in certain situations. Again those are used in certain situations not as a base defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.