4 and 12 record = Zeke

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'll agree with what you're trying to say here, but if they perform at this level who cares how high they were ranked coming out? To go back to your original comment I think the scouting that allowed us to have great drafts for the last half decade has a lot more to do than getting Zeke alone. Having a high pick doesn't mean you will make the right pick.

I'm referencing them as prospects. There are some guys who are solid prospects who come in as superstars. It happens. There are some great prospects who flop. Zeke was a great prospect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Losing last year put us in position to win it all this year. We drafted high in every round and the difference in the quality of players drafted last year is head and shoulders above prior years.

I am glad we had the 4 and 12 record last year no matter how bad it hurt last year. The 8 and 8 mediocrity that we have had over the years has kept us below the threshold of being a super bowl contender and too good to acquire the talent we needed to put us over the top.

We are doing great drafting. It would be nice to see us trade back in one of the rounds this year and get a pick that is likely to be higher next year if the situation is right to do that.

This team is drafting well enough that I really hate to see us taking chances on weak minded players like Randy Gregory. I'm ok with the Jaylon Smith gamble because if he gets well we won't have a weak minded player who we can't depend on.

If we are going to take a risk with a player let's keep it to a reasonable health risk rather than a mental health/chemical dependency risk unless the risk we are taking is not with a premium pick.

1 step back and 10 steps forward with last years bad season.

This is why you should hope we lose when the Cowboys are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The draft stragedy will depend on the compensation we get for Romo.

It still hurts me to think about trading Romo.

I can't see us getting anything more than a 3rd rounder for him. He's been brittle and he'll be 37 years old.

I really want to see him in Denver.

Imagine if we played Denver in the Superbowl..... My gosh.

T-RO

Reaction score
Are you saying you would rather draft at the bottom of the round because that is where all the talent is? Of course not. That wouldn't make any sense.

Winning teams don't win because they pick at the bottom of the round, they win in spite of it.

Exactly your second round pick is virtually a late 1st round pick

your third round pick is virtually a late 2nd round pick...etc.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It still hurts me to think about trading Romo.

I can't see us getting anything more than a 3rd rounder for him. He's been brittle and he'll be 37 years old.

I really want to see him in Denver.

Imagine if we played Denver in the Superbowl..... My gosh.

I never, ever thought a team would trade a 1st for Sam Bradford at this point in his career. He is not that good and has an injury history. At least Romo is good when healthy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I never, ever thought a team would trade a 1st for Sam Bradford at this point in his career. He is not that good and has an injury history. At least Romo is good when healthy.

Yeah but Bradford still has some youth.

Romo gives you 2 or 3 years max and is brittle.

Not many teams can protect him as well as we did and he was still finding ways to get hurt.

We never got to find out if that clavicle can take a hit either. That thing broke almost everytime he fell on it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but Bradford still has some youth.

Romo gives you 2 or 3 years max and is brittle.

Not many teams can protect him as well as we did and he was still finding ways to get hurt.

We never got to find out if that clavicle can take a hit either. That thing broke almost everytime he fell on it.

Yep, it's not the most logical move, but teams do things that are not logical every year.

Coaches and GMs have a limited time to win before they get fired. That often drives some bad short terms deals. If a GM thinks that Romo can give them a winning year, he might overpay.

It will depend on Romo. A team would have to be convinced that he is not going to retire.

eyedoc

Reaction score
I'll agree with what you're trying to say here, but if they perform at this level who cares how high they were ranked coming out? To go back to your original comment I think the scouting that allowed us to have great drafts for the last half decade has a lot more to do than getting Zeke alone. Having a high pick doesn't mean you will make the right pick.
Great point thunderpimp. Just because you have an early pick does not automatically guarantee you will pick a starter on your team! Go Cowboys

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Draft position is an arbitrary concept past the first 10 picks or so......you can say we draft early in every round by going 4-12 or we could be drafting late in every round by going 12-4 but after the first player it is all the same.....is there a real difference between 2-64 and 3-65

It is not a huge deal but it still comes down to drafting the right players....Zeke was the prize for getting the 4th pick but the rest of the draft could have been exactly the same if we won the Super Bowl...teams like CLE, JAX and DET still flounder with all their 'top' picks