4 Cowboys who conceivably legitimately could be cut or traded before season starts

_sturt_

Reaction score
Name the last time Jerry Dumbo GM Jones without Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles and John Wooten traded a legitimate starter getting good draft picks?
Reading into the OP that I was suggesting what will happen is a mistake. It's simply not an accurate read of my mind. Just a genuine attempt to put some potentially interesting information out there.

Having said that, if they went that route, the point here would not be to get good draft picks necessarily, but to create some cap space for other purposes in an off-season when things are tighter than most off-seasons I can recall.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So what if all this happens and you save 32 mil? Cap boy is still there and we all know how cheap he is. He would just sit on that money and do nothing with it. ...........
.........OR.....they could spend it on a big extension for Dak! :facepalm:

Siroky

Reaction score
Reviewing OverTheCap.com, and specifically as it pertains to post-June 1...

• Cutting or trading Demarcus Lawrence would save $10m... but the only way that happens is if he sustains a serious injury (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting Terence Steele would do almost nothing, but trading him would save $8m... not the craziest notion if we were to see someone relatively unexpected emerge in preseason as a legitimate RT option. Serious injury doesn't necessarily make him expendable since he's signed for a few more seasons beyond; however his cap number will swell by $6m next season to hit $17m, so that still could be a factor (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting or trading Brandin Cooks would save $8m... he's vulnerable in both ways--if someone unexpected emerges as a legitimate #2 WR option, or if he has a serious injury (... knocks on wood). Still, from where I sit, it's harder to imagine any of our JV squad WRs rising up to that level so quickly, whereas there are a few different O-line scenarios I could imagine could evolve to make Steele's services dispensable.

• Cutting Donovan Wilson wouldn't do much, but trading him would save nearly $6m. It's not hard at all to imagine that being a consideration, given the proven depth we have at the safety position. He's got one more season at essentially the same cap savings this year or next, so serious injury (... knocks on wood...) doesn't necessarily rule him out, but if he's playing well, there's no added financial incentive to make a trade this year.

(Not advocating anything here, just passing along some intel that might merit knowing.)
Anyone is tradable for the right price but just to save cap space I don’t see any of those 4 being realistic. 1 D law is the most reliable lineman and best run defender on a weak run defense. 2 Steele is an injury season removed from the future at right tackle and we’re trying to strengthen the o line and running game not weaken it. 3 cooks is the only # 2 wr on the team, and spent last year learning the offense and creating chemistry with Dak- so who fills the 2 role? 4 wilson and hooker are the only safety s signed behind next year and have for the first time in how long aren’t the weakness of the defense? If I had to trade one it would be wilson - but only if we resign both thomas and bell ( betting one will step up as the starter)

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Reading into the OP that I was suggesting what will happen is a mistake. It's simply not an accurate read of my mind. Just a genuine attempt to put some potentially interesting information out there.

Having said that, if they went that route, the point here would not be to get good draft picks necessarily, but to create some cap space for other purposes in an off-season when things are tighter than most off-seasons I can recall.
Each senario had a trade of a starter to get cap space. So I responded to you original post

_sturt_

Reaction score
Each senario had a trade of a starter to get cap space. So I responded to you original post
Right. And that's fine to make the observation you did. I merely wanted to make sure the distinction is understood that I'm only illuminating what OverTheCap.com tells us about each of those players' situations... cut, or trade. So I responded to your reply. It's all good.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Considering Guyton, I could see us trading Steele.

Of the 4 possibilities, this sticks out as more than plausible. But "plausible," not at all likely.

What it would take is

(a) at least one of the young-un OTs showing up in preseason as more impressive than anticipated, and

(b) a team with cap space discovering in preseason that their presumed starter at RT isn't sufficient or isn't available.

Neither of those are wildly rare eventualities in the NFL, of course.

jay94

Reaction score
No way can we get rid of Cooks, no one can convince me we have a no 3 wr on this team. Steele I would not be opposed to how absolutely poorly he played last year. Lawrence in no world is happening, and who cares about Wilson.