4 Cowboys who conceivably legitimately could be cut or traded before season starts

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So get rid of 4 key players Just to save some cap space. Who replaces them? Unless they really are into some sort of rebuild.

But the best way to do that is to cut the highest paid player as a June 1st cut. Use the 2 void years.
No better place to rebuild with a new young fresh player there.
Don’t worry. If you hear good things about Lance at OTAs, Dak will be added to the cut list too. :facepalm: If you cut any of these players what are you going to use money for???? All the quality free agents are gone and the Cowboys no matter what happens with Dak or CeeDee will have a 100 million in cap space next season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Reviewing OverTheCap.com, and specifically as it pertains to post-June 1...

• Cutting or trading Demarcus Lawrence would save $10m... but the only way that happens is if he sustains a serious injury (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting Terence Steele would do almost nothing, but trading him would save $8m... not the craziest notion if we were to see someone relatively unexpected emerge in preseason as a legitimate RT option. Serious injury doesn't necessarily make him expendable since he's signed for a few more seasons beyond; however his cap number will swell by $6m next season to hit $17m, so that still could be a factor (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting or trading Brandin Cooks would save $8m... he's vulnerable in both ways--if someone unexpected emerges as a legitimate #2 WR option, or if he has a serious injury (... knocks on wood). Still, from where I sit, it's harder to imagine any of our JV squad WRs rising up to that level so quickly, whereas there are a few different O-line scenarios I could imagine could evolve to make Steele's services dispensable.

• Cutting Donovan Wilson wouldn't do much, but trading him would save nearly $6m. It's not hard at all to imagine that being a consideration, given the proven depth we have at the safety position. He's got one more season at essentially the same cap savings this year or next, so serious injury (... knocks on wood...) doesn't necessarily rule him out, but if he's playing well, there's no added financial incentive to make a trade this year.

(Not advocating anything here, just passing along some intel that might merit knowing.)
Tank probably more so this is his last year! Cooks if you know a better option then fine! Steele is the big one for me, MAKE GUYTON THE RT!!!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would say zero on the chance of cutting Cooks since wr3 and wr4 are Jazzcat and gimmesix.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Remember, post-June 1 cuts mean that you are pushing CAP money into the following year. A post June 1 cut of Lawrence saves $10 million this year but you still have to account for the $17 million in pro-rated bonus he has left. They can take that as a hit this year or next. If they take it this year they only get about a $3 million CAP save. Next year it would become dead money.

My first question would be why cut or trade any of these players? Why do they need the CAP space? They are clearly not going to spend it.

Something tells me the Cowboys are not worried about this years CAP space. They can clear $16 million by extending CeeDee. They can clear more extending Dak. I think Dallas is worried about next year and the years that follow.
The reason to trade them is there is 100 million in cap space next year to sign Dak, CD, Parsons, Bland, Martin, Dlaw and others. Good luck doing that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just resign Dak Prescott. You'll have all the space you need.
Oddly it's not happening.o_O

fivetwos

Reaction score
The only reason I could see doing anything like this is if at the end of camp, we trade from a position of strength to try to fix a weaker position. If Richards did stand out at LT to the point where he deserved to win that job and we moved Guyton to RT, then trading Steele could be an option to fortify the defensive line, wide receiver, running back, etc. However, I can't see McCarthy wanting a first-year starter and a rookie at the two tackle spots, especially with how much they seem to like Steele and his work ethic.
At the time I posted this I didn’t realize his 2025 salary is already guaranteed.

Why would they do that? They were in no danger of losing this player and he wasn’t all that great but he was guaranteed 50 million.

These two don’t have a clue. They truly don’t. Seems to get worse constantly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So get rid of 4 key players Just to save some cap space. Who replaces them? Unless they really are into some sort of rebuild.

But the best way to do that is to cut the highest paid player as a June 1st cut. Use the 2 void years.
No better place to rebuild with a new young fresh player there.
Exactly they were not aggressive in the offseason because of these players that are on this team that he listed or some of them they are not getting rid of any of them we can't afford to what exactly we're gonna do for a #2 wide receiver just to save a measly 8 million if they need cat room they'll actually restructure or go ahead and get lamb done or guess what everybody's duck Prescott could end up getting his extension I mean if they need money they're bad they're other things they can do they're not going into the season missing those players on that list it's not happening...

You literally would just weaken the team that is not smart... Not one of those players should be moved. In the story let's move on you're right I agree with you I don't know why this guy is on a run of starting posts like this because they're not doing it we already weak at offensive line and we're gonna have two rookies you wanna get rid of steel and then shuffle it around even more dude that's insane...

blueblood70

Reaction score
These guys' contributions have a cost. Mess around and see the consequences of not having them. I would make none of these trades.
You're acting like Jerry said this this is a guy who just feels like seeing himself talk so he wrote a post about nonsense that none of those are happening you're right not any of them that to save cap space if they wanna give lamb or dak their contract before the season starts that's possible and there you go they're restructure in a way that they save money this year but yeah they're counting on those players on that list every single one of them...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well we are all in so trading 4 starters makes perfect sense. JJ is brilliant you know.
You mean the person who started this thread is brilliant which is the opposite of brilliant and now somehow you're on this notion that this was a Jerry's idea? that's not happening none of those players are moving because we weren't aggressive in the offseason we're counting on those players it's not happening

blueblood70

Reaction score
Reviewing OverTheCap.com, and specifically as it pertains to post-June 1...

• Cutting or trading Demarcus Lawrence would save $10m... but the only way that happens is if he sustains a serious injury (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting Terence Steele would do almost nothing, but trading him would save $8m... not the craziest notion if we were to see someone relatively unexpected emerge in preseason as a legitimate RT option. Serious injury doesn't necessarily make him expendable since he's signed for a few more seasons beyond; however his cap number will swell by $6m next season to hit $17m, so that still could be a factor (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting or trading Brandin Cooks would save $8m... he's vulnerable in both ways--if someone unexpected emerges as a legitimate #2 WR option, or if he has a serious injury (... knocks on wood). Still, from where I sit, it's harder to imagine any of our JV squad WRs rising up to that level so quickly, whereas there are a few different O-line scenarios I could imagine could evolve to make Steele's services dispensable.

• Cutting Donovan Wilson wouldn't do much, but trading him would save nearly $6m. It's not hard at all to imagine that being a consideration, given the proven depth we have at the safety position. He's got one more season at essentially the same cap savings this year or next, so serious injury (... knocks on wood...) doesn't necessarily rule him out, but if he's playing well, there's no added financial incentive to make a trade this year.

(Not advocating anything here, just passing along some intel that might merit knowing.)
that's not Intel that's the opposite of intelligent none of that is going to happen you're reading hypothetical scenarios and you're making it as if they need to get rid of players no they don't what is more likely to happen if they need money they're gonna sign Prescott or lamp to their new contracts restructure in a way where it saves all that money you just listed... None of those players are leaving it would be dumb for them to do this so you're saying you're not advocating you're passing on no you're not you're passing along a hypothetical rumor

_sturt_

Reaction score
For the record, I apologize to all of you who already knew the information conveyed in the OP. Sincerely thought I was doing a service by spending a little time on OverTheCap.com to discover what, if any, plausible salary-related player movement could occur between now and the first game.

To anyone else who has a problem with this thread... :) ...
giphy.gif

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dudes are gonna get cut.

post June 1.

The team still needs around 20 million in cap before week 1.

It’s gonna happen.