CFZ 4 games in: Where we’re strong; Where we’re vulnerable

JonesBoys

Reaction score
We’re approximately 1/4 of the way into a long season so it’s too early to know exactly what this team is but so far. IMO, here are the team’s strengths and its vulnerabilities:

STRENGTHS
  • The pass rush. Going into Sun’s game vs the Washington Whatevers, Dallas had the most sacks in the NFL. Parson wreaks havoc and D-Law has also been very active.
  • The pass defense. Through 4 games, we’ve given up less than 200 net yards passing in any game. That’s the best pass D we’ve seen through 4 games since 1977- Doomsday II. (A team that won a SB)
  • Young players showing immediate impact- Tyler Smith, Jake Ferguson, and UFA Payton Hendershot have been immediate impact players. Sam Williams has shown major upside. Tyler Smith has been excellent at LT. Imagine if we found our next LT for a decade.
  • Backup QB- Cooper Rush has been outstanding. He doesn’t possess a great arm or much athleticism, but his mental grasp of the game is his strength. He’s probably a liability as DCs get a book on him, but for a backup QB for a few games, he’s perfect.
  • Zeke and Pollard are a potent tandem- it appears the team has finally recognized the importance of Pollard getting more snaps. And a fresher Zeke is a better Zeke.
  • Dan Quinn- he has shown great ability to utilize his players at every position and his rotations in the DL have kept players fresh. The players love him.
VULNERABILITIES
  • Stopping the run-as good as our defense has been, we’re still vulnerable to a good running game. Tampa ran all over us, avg 6 yds a carry. Wash had 100 yards rushing- in the first half yesterday. This MUST improve if this team wants to be a serious contender. Because if we get behind and can’t stop the run, we’re in trouble.
  • Developing a consistent running game- we’ve had some good moments in the running game, but have lacked consistency. We ran well against the giants, but struggled against the commanders.
  • Kellen Moore- now in his fourth season as OC, Moore continues to struggle finding more creative ways to use his talent. Tampa Bay defenders laughed at how easy it was to know what we’re going to do. And his play calling has lacked any kind of rhythm. He does deserve some credit for helping Cooper Rush stay within himself. I don’t see a young genius when I look at Moore. I see a guy JJ really likes.
  • Vulnerable to physical teams- the Bucs have a very physical defense. And going back to last season, the Cowboys struggled against teams (like the 49ers) who play smash mouth football. The Cowboys have been too soft for many years. They still need to prove they can handle teams that try to mug you.
What else?

Still two issues they had last season. Stopping the run and penalties although they did better yesterday on penalties. I'm not sure how they fix the run defense but they better figure it out by playoff time if they make it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We’re approximately 1/4 of the way into a long season so it’s too early to know exactly what this team is but so far. IMO, here are the team’s strengths and its vulnerabilities:

STRENGTHS
  • The pass rush. Going into Sun’s game vs the Washington Whatevers, Dallas had the most sacks in the NFL. Parson wreaks havoc and D-Law has also been very active.
  • The pass defense. Through 4 games, we’ve given up less than 200 net yards passing in any game. That’s the best pass D we’ve seen through 4 games since 1977- Doomsday II. (A team that won a SB)
  • Young players showing immediate impact- Tyler Smith, Jake Ferguson, and UFA Payton Hendershot have been immediate impact players. Sam Williams has shown major upside. Tyler Smith has been excellent at LT. Imagine if we found our next LT for a decade.
  • Backup QB- Cooper Rush has been outstanding. He doesn’t possess a great arm or much athleticism, but his mental grasp of the game is his strength. He’s probably a liability as DCs get a book on him, but for a backup QB for a few games, he’s perfect.
  • Zeke and Pollard are a potent tandem- it appears the team has finally recognized the importance of Pollard getting more snaps. And a fresher Zeke is a better Zeke.
  • Dan Quinn- he has shown great ability to utilize his players at every position and his rotations in the DL have kept players fresh. The players love him.
VULNERABILITIES
  • Stopping the run-as good as our defense has been, we’re still vulnerable to a good running game. Tampa ran all over us, avg 6 yds a carry. Wash had 100 yards rushing- in the first half yesterday. This MUST improve if this team wants to be a serious contender. Because if we get behind and can’t stop the run, we’re in trouble.
  • Developing a consistent running game- we’ve had some good moments in the running game, but have lacked consistency. We ran well against the giants, but struggled against the commanders.
  • Kellen Moore- now in his fourth season as OC, Moore continues to struggle finding more creative ways to use his talent. Tampa Bay defenders laughed at how easy it was to know what we’re going to do. And his play calling has lacked any kind of rhythm. He does deserve some credit for helping Cooper Rush stay within himself. I don’t see a young genius when I look at Moore. I see a guy JJ really likes.
  • Vulnerable to physical teams- the Bucs have a very physical defense. And going back to last season, the Cowboys struggled against teams (like the 49ers) who play smash mouth football. The Cowboys have been too soft for many years. They still need to prove they can handle teams that try to mug you.
What else?
This is a very good write up.

What I'd add:
+++
Special teams has been a massive plus. We went from media/beat guys focused on guys missing 30 yarders in stiff winds in California to Maher making everything shy of 59 yards. Turpin has been a weapon in return game.
Overcoming injuries. QB is noted but just in general the next man up stuff has worked well. Dono Wilson's role has increased in absence of Kearse and he's been very good. Young TE were/are fine fill ins. Bland had an INT last night filling in.

---
Penalties have remained a negative. Defense is too good to commit penalties because it gives the other offense a reprieve from the beat down that's coming.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They need a lead dog at the QB position. Rush has been outstanding, but the Cowboys need the Dak who played the 1st half of last season to compete for a Chamionship. At least the Cowboys know that they have the QB2 position covered.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep. Good plus and minus points to all of the above, Bob.

My addition after yesterday's game would be the continued Red zone futility/settling for field goals.
i see Coogi mentioned it as well.

This prob dates back a few years and continues regardless of QB. I guess you could lump it under the OC's responsibility.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
I agree our Offense cannot handle physical teams,Rams under Mcvay have shown they will murder us with the run game if we let them.their goal is to win games without relying on Stafford to be a hero and they do that with their Run game and stout D.

rambo2

Reaction score
They need a lead dog at the QB position. Rush has been outstanding, but the Cowboys need the Dak who played the 1st half of last season to compete for a Chamionship. At least the Cowboys know that they have the QB2 position covered.
This defense competes regardless.

offlimits

Reaction score
I should have mentioned penalties as a vulnerability. You’re right Coogs. That’s till a problem for this team.

Agree but they did a much better job yesterday in cleaning up the pre-snap penalties. Hope it continues.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

• VULNERABILITIES
What else?

Spot on on the vulnerabilities , unfortunately some of those are our div rival Eggles strength’s, so we need to fix them or at least mask them quickly.

offlimits

Reaction score
they shut it down for the most part in the 2nd half shows it was talked about at the half and made adjustments, at least they didn't give up 250 ie never adjusted like in yards past.

Agree, they were gashing us up the middle and beating us to the corner in the 1st half. The DQ Cowboy made HT adjustments and limited their running game in the 2nd half.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

STRENGTHS
VULNERABILITIES
What else?
Excellent write up.
Appreciate your efforts, Bob.

CB0711

Reaction score
I really appreciate a thoughtful analysis on this board rather than the typical idiotic knee jerk reactions from the less, shall I say, intelligent posters.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spot on on the vulnerabilities , unfortunately some of those are our div rival Eggles strength’s, so we need to fix them or at least mask them quickly.
The next two weeks are going to tell us a lot about this team. The rams this week and the e-girls game in a couple will give us an excellent measuring stick on where this team really is.

The other thing is, all NFL teams evolve. The question is- will they evolve better or worse? Last year we were 6-1 going into that broncos game where we got spanked. From that game on the Cowboys we’re 6-6 including the playoff loss to the niners. Essentially, we devolved after the Denver game last year. Hopefully this year we are evolving into a better team each week. Too early to tell.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I should have mentioned penalties as a vulnerability. You’re right Coogs. That’s till a problem for this team.

Shultz, penalties.

LVE scared to tackle and whiffs too much.

Opposition runs to the left side, then the gut with ease. Especially when Bohanna is not in.

tunahelper

Reaction score

STRENGTHS
VULNERABILITIES
What else?

Good post.

Our offense needs Tyler Smith at guard. We can compete at LT with Peters, but our inside running game needs more movement. The consistency I'm the running game would improve in my opinion.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Good post.

Our offense needs Tyler Smith at guard. We can compete at LT with Peters, but our inside running game needs more movement. The consistency I'm the running game would improve in my opinion.

Tyler Smith started at LT for three years in college, and all of his NFL starts to date have been at left tackle. He's never played a game at guard.

As for Peters, he's not in condition to play LT. He's playing less than 40% of the snaps at guard. This isn't 2012 All Pro Jason Peters.

They do need to find a full timer at the left guard position, though, whether it's Peters or someone else. A line needs continuity.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Tyler Smith started at LT for three years in college, and all of his NFL starts to date have been at left tackle. He's never played a game at guard.

As for Peters, he's not in condition to play LT. He's playing less than 40% of the snaps at guard. This isn't 2012 All Pro Jason Peters.

They do need to find a full timer at the left guard position, though, whether it's Peters or someone else. A line needs continuity.

Peters missed all of training camp, so he is rounding into shape. He is not a good run blocking guard. His size helps at LT where he can drop step quick and mirror defenders. As a guard he lacks the ability to bend/flex to uproot DT's. His value is at LT and Smith has more "current" value at LG for this team.

Batman1980

Reaction score

Rushing defense is definitely an issue. Need Dak to come back so we can build leads and stay up on teams to rush the passer.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The coaching staff have also been making much better adjustments.