CFZ 4 games in: Where we’re strong; Where we’re vulnerable

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re approximately 1/4 of the way into a long season so it’s too early to know exactly what this team is but so far. IMO, here are the team’s strengths and its vulnerabilities:

STRENGTHS
  • The pass rush. Going into Sun’s game vs the Washington Whatevers, Dallas had the most sacks in the NFL. Parson wreaks havoc and D-Law has also been very active.
  • The pass defense. Through 4 games, we’ve given up less than 200 net yards passing in any game. That’s the best pass D we’ve seen through 4 games since 1977- Doomsday II. (A team that won a SB)
  • Young players showing immediate impact- Tyler Smith, Jake Ferguson, and UFA Payton Hendershot have been immediate impact players. Sam Williams has shown major upside. Tyler Smith has been excellent at LT. Imagine if we found our next LT for a decade.
  • Backup QB- Cooper Rush has been outstanding. He doesn’t possess a great arm or much athleticism, but his mental grasp of the game is his strength. He’s probably a liability as DCs get a book on him, but for a backup QB for a few games, he’s perfect.
  • Zeke and Pollard are a potent tandem- it appears the team has finally recognized the importance of Pollard getting more snaps. And a fresher Zeke is a better Zeke.
  • Dan Quinn- he has shown great ability to utilize his players at every position and his rotations in the DL have kept players fresh. The players love him.
VULNERABILITIES
  • Stopping the run-as good as our defense has been, we’re still vulnerable to a good running game. Tampa ran all over us, avg 6 yds a carry. Wash had 100 yards rushing- in the first half yesterday. This MUST improve if this team wants to be a serious contender. Because if we get behind and can’t stop the run, we’re in trouble.
  • Developing a consistent running game- we’ve had some good moments in the running game, but have lacked consistency. We ran well against the giants, but struggled against the commanders.
  • Kellen Moore- now in his fourth season as OC, Moore continues to struggle finding more creative ways to use his talent. Tampa Bay defenders laughed at how easy it was to know what we’re going to do. And his play calling has lacked any kind of rhythm. He does deserve some credit for helping Cooper Rush stay within himself. I don’t see a young genius when I look at Moore. I see a guy JJ really likes.
  • Vulnerable to physical teams- the Bucs have a very physical defense. And going back to last season, the Cowboys struggled against teams (like the 49ers) who play smash mouth football. The Cowboys have been too soft for many years. They still need to prove they can handle teams that try to mug you.
What else?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re approximately 1/4 of the way into a long season so it’s too early to know exactly what this team is but so far. IMO, here are the team’s strengths and its vulnerabilities:

STRENGTHS
  • The pass rush. Going into Sun’s game vs the Washington Whatevers, Dallas had the most sacks in the NFL. Parson wreaks havoc and D-Law has also been very active.
  • The pass defense. Through 4 games, we’ve given up less than 200 net yards passing in any game. That’s the best pass D we’ve seen through 4 games since 1977- Doomsday II. (A team that won a SB)
  • Young players showing immediate impact- Tyler Smith, Jake Ferguson, and UFA Payton Hendershot have been immediate impact players. Sam Williams has shown major upside. Tyler Smith has been excellent at LT. Imagine if we found our next LT for a decade.
  • Backup QB- Cooper Rush has been outstanding. He doesn’t possess a great arm or much athleticism, but his mental grasp of the game is his strength. He’s probably a liability as DCs get a book on him, but for a backup QB for a few games, he’s perfect.
  • Zeke and Pollard are a potent tandem- it appears the team has finally recognized the importance of Pollard getting more snaps. And a fresher Zeke is a better Zeke.
  • Dan Quinn- he has shown great ability to utilize his players at every position and his rotations in the DL have kept players fresh. The players love him.
VULNERABILITIES
  • Stopping the run-as good as our defense has been, we’re still vulnerable to a good running game. Tampa ran all over us, avg 6 yds a carry. Wash had 100 yards rushing- in the first half yesterday. This MUST improve if this team wants to be a serious contender. Because if we get behind and can’t stop the run, we’re in trouble.
  • Developing a consistent running game- we’ve had some good moments in the running game, but have lacked consistency. We ran well against the giants, but struggled against the commanders.
  • Kellen Moore- now in his fourth season as OC, Moore continues to struggle finding more creative ways to use his talent. Tampa Bay defenders laughed at how easy it was to know what we’re going to do. And his play calling has lacked any kind of rhythm. He does deserve some credit for helping Cooper Rush stay within himself. I don’t see a young genius when I look at Moore. I see a guy JJ really likes.
  • Vulnerable to physical teams- the Bucs have a very physical defense. And going back to last season, the Cowboys struggled against teams (like the 49ers) who play smash mouth football. The Cowboys have been too soft for many years. They still need to prove they can handle teams that try to mug you.
What else?

:clap::hammer:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I would add special teams as a strength. Besides the one whiff on that punt yesterday, Maher and Anger have been incredible.

Also blocked a kick, coverage has been incredible, and the return game has been serviceable.

rambo2

Reaction score

STRENGTHS
VULNERABILITIES
What else?
A huge strength is the overall team depth. The front office has done an excellent job of putting this team and coaching staff together. Team youth is also a strength going forward. It is an exciting time to be a Cowboy fan.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A huge strength is the overall team depth. The front office has done an excellent job of putting this team and coaching staff together. Team youth is also a strength going forward. It is an exciting time to be a Cowboy fan.
That may be true. But I will hold off on how well our roster has been built until at least late November. Four games is too small a sample size for me.

Sydla

Reaction score
I still think that OL has to be better. They struggled with a good DL yesterday running the ball. You can't be that inept on the ground against teams with good offenses like the Rams or Philly that can put you in a hole early.

I still don't trust our DT play, especially against the run. A team like Philly with an elite OL can present problems (although, they have health concerns with Mailata and Seumalo who both got hurt yesterday).

Strength wise, I think we can get after the passer a variety of ways (blitz, straight four man line) and that on the backend, we are probably one of the 5-7 best pass defenses right now in the NFL. Obviously Diggs' improved play has helped but I think we are getting really good safety play from Hooker and Wilson.

rambo2

Reaction score
That may be true. But I will hold off on how well our roster has been built until at least late November. Four games is too small a sample size for me.
I've been bullish on the roster for months. They have a good shot at having an outstanding season.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The team is strong, it's the fan base that's weak. Some can't take joy in our 3-1 team without crying about something.
:facepalm:

Creeper

Reaction score

STRENGTHS
VULNERABILITIES
What else?

Those long running plays between the tackles and DEs have been a problem and if you look at those plays you will see some consistent mistakes by the Cowboys LBs. But the problem is Cowboys defenders not getting off their blocks. The DTs and DEs are getting pushed out of the gaps and the LBs are either late seeing the play or too slow to get outside and cut off the RB. We never see LVE or Barr slicing through the noise and getting to the ball carrier. I am going to catch some flak for this but teams run right at #11 and he struggles to get off blacks too. Washington, ran the same plays as the Bucs and had the same success. When I see an OT 10 yards downfield blocking LVE out of the play it drives me crazy.

If you watch teams with good run defenses, first the control the gaps. Then they can run support from the LBs and safeties. The Cowboys defense seems to allow offenses to get more blockers to the point of attack than defenders.

I have said this before and I will repeat. Barr has been a huge disappointment and I think he is impeding the development of Jabril Cox who has shown the ability to use his speed to slice through the garbage to get to the ball carrier. I am not anointing Cox, just recognizing the Barr is not the same player he was. He is playing like a JAG right now. Barr had a good game against the Bengals but the other 3 games he has been pretty average.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Zeke and Pollard are a potent tandem but we don't have a consistent running game?

We expect more from you, Robert.