4 Wide Receiver

plasticman

Reaction score
No reason to pay money for a guy that will only be used during those rare 4 WR sets. How is he going to earn his contract during the other 90% of the offensive plays?

The Cowboys have two late draft picks from 2017 and 2018. Let's see how they have progressed. Then again, Jarwin is athletic enough to line up in a slot. There are options other than paying an "experienced" guy who couldn't make it as a 3rd receiver on another team.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I truly believe the NFL season will start on time. I believe fans will be in the stands.

Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.
I said what I thought.

My concern is for our players.

People will go back to work becuz they can not eat or pay rent or whatever.

Playing or watching live football is just a very weird choice.

Not a risk I would do. And it's not like you do it once and if you stay healthy..

It repeats again the very next day. And on and on.

They are saying next year before a vaccine and maybe longer.

Those are short odds you will get sick to me.

I hope otherwise but I never trust the government about stuff like this.

They will lie to buy time and later say..

Oops..we were wrong.

Seen it much whole life.

Control freaks..groan.

Verdict

Reaction score
I said what I thought.

My concern is for our players.

People will go back to work becuz they can not eat or pay rent or whatever.

Playing or watching live football is just a very weird choice.

Not a risk I would do. And it's not like you do it once and if you stay healthy..

It repeats again the very next day. And on and on.

They are saying next year before a vaccine and maybe longer.

Those are short odds you will get sick to me.

I hope otherwise but I never trust the government about stuff like this.

They will lie to buy time and later say..

Oops..we were wrong.

Seen it much whole life.

Control freaks..groan.

Life is going to move on. The people who are afraid will stay in. Those who are not will re-enter society.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Id go w Tavon Austin any day or use Pollard in the slot. Anything is better than this sorry 3-4 td te core is.

If any of these tes play any significant amount of passing snaps then this coaching staff is blind and sucks like carrot top.

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson/Pollard.

Backup with ...... .... I like are options when finding the best 4 to line up wide. After that with injuries. I get nervous. I guess we go with Smith, and maybe Johnson to round out 6 WR's on the roster.

Personally, I would not mind one more cheap 1 year contract on someone with experience to have one more safety net but would they really matter over a UDFA or rookie undrafted signing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This spot is probably going to be a bit more important than years past. I see us going to a 4WR set often. If so who will that 4th WR be?

The team needs to be on the lookout for an experienced WR in the final roster cuts. And don’t say Dez. I would rather have an open roster spot and play with 10 guys on the field than bring Dez back in.

They're unlikely to play 4 WRs very often. Jarwin is already a big WR and Kellen Moore likes Jarwin.

If they do play 4, it will likely be Tony Pollard at WR.

Verdict

Reaction score
They're unlikely to play 4 WRs very often. Jarwin is already a big WR and Kellen Moore likes Jarwin.

If they do play 4, it will likely be Tony Pollard at WR.
I am interested to see how much that changes under MM. Think about it.... If you have 4 wides, and Zeke and spread the field that is going g to be poison for the defense. If you speak the field Zeke will beat you to death.

If you stack the box, then the WR are going to big play you to death. That 4WR will determine how much the formation gets used.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am interested to see how much that changes under MM. Think about it.... If you have 4 wides, and Zeke and spread the field that is going g to be poison for the defense. If you speak the field Zeke will beat you to death.

If you stack the box, then the WR are going to big play you to death. That 4WR will determine how much the formation gets used.

MM rarely used 4 Wide in Green Bay.

The #1 TE always had a lot of targets in Green Bay.

Even the #2 TE Richard Rodgers (Dick-Rod as I.a call him) averaged almost 50% of the offensive snaps.

If the Cowboys still had Cobb or Beasley at slot WR and then drafted CeeDee then it might be more likely to see 4 Wide, but with the best 4th WR probably being the backup RB it seems doubtful to see much reason for the coaches to go 4 Wide other than I think Kellen Moore wants to utilize Tony Pollard more.

The 2 players that I'm convinced that Kellen Moore wanted to utilize more in 2019 if Garrett had not prevented it were TE Jarwin and RB/WR Tony Pollard.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with 4 WRs sets is you take Blake Jarwin off the field and you never want to do that.

Verdict

Reaction score
MM rarely used 4 Wide in Green Bay.

The #1 TE always had a lot of targets in Green Bay.

Even the #2 TE Richard Rodgers (Dick-Rod as I.a call him) averaged almost 50% of the offensive snaps.

If the Cowboys still had Cobb or Beasley at slot WR and then drafted CeeDee then it might be more likely to see 4 Wide, but with the best 4th WR probably being the backup RB it seems doubtful to see much reason for the coaches to go 4 Wide other than I think Kellen Moore wants to utilize Tony Pollard more.

The 2 players that I'm convinced that Kellen Moore wanted to utilize more in 2019 if Garrett had not prevented it were TE Jarwin and RB/WR Tony Pollard.
It will be interesting to see how the touches get distributed and if the formation usage changes under MM.

The most frustrating thing I have ever seen was Garrett’s propensity to go “heavy” with two tight end on the goal line, pack everyone in tight and then have the RB run between the tackles with the tight ends blocking no one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be interesting to see how the touches get distributed and if the formation usage changes under MM.

The most frustrating thing I have ever seen was Garrett’s propensity to go “heavy” with two tight end on the goal line, pack everyone in tight and then have the RB run between the tackles with the tight ends blocking no one.
They ran a lot of 3 TE sets in 2017 and 2018 & it was often not even goalline or short yardage. The season Rico played almost all of his snaps were as the 3rd TE.

They've had better success running with 3 WR, 1 TE sets than 2 or 3 TEs but Garrett was Garrett.

Verdict

Reaction score
They ran a lot of 3 TE sets in 2017 and 2018 & it was often not even goalline or short yardage. The season Rico played almost all of his snaps were as the 3rd TE.

They've had better success running with 3 WR, 1 TE sets than 2 or 3 TEs but Garrett was Garrett.
True bro. Very true.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Devin Smith is easily the most talented of our down-roster WRs, couple that with his special teams ability and he's a lock to make it IMO.

Ced Wilson's not a bad possession receiver - we last saw him go 5/46 vs the Jets, plus a horribly timed OPI call when he was just doing what he was coached to do on a pick play. So he can function as the next man up, plus he can return kicks... I think he's your #5 if healthy.

Pollard has some manufactured-touch potential, but I don't think he has the route running chops to scare NFL DBs, and they can match him on speed.

Last edited: