4 Years Ago Today, Crazy Ray Left Us

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
crazy-ray.jpg

Don't know about the rest of you, but I miss him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3880147 said:

I would take Crazy Ray back right now in his current condition if it meant that Rowdy would never ever ever ever ever ever return again. And that includes the possibility that he was cremated.

Crazy Ray was a great ambassador of the Dallas Cowboys, especially during Cowboys/Commanders games. His spirit and energy will always be missed by those who had the opportunity of knowing him through his work, even though I know he didn't consider what he did as work at all. :)

Fmart322

Reaction score
He was a part of growing up a Cowboys fan in the 70's & 80's. He was great to see on Sundays. To bad he had to go, I miss him in the stands.

shnagy

Reaction score
Hostile;3880147 said:
crazy-ray.jpg

Great guy right there. Miss him being in the stands.

Since this thread sparked my curiosity, I read over his wiki page and then checked out the Skins "Chief Zee" and ran across this little nugget of amazing Eagle fan history:

"In 1983, Chief Zee attended a game against the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. While at the game, he was attacked by Eagles fans angry at their team's 10-point loss to the Commanders - the fans broke his leg, tore off his original costume, and left him hospitalized"

I didn't know about this since it happened before I was born, but looks like Eagle fans have always been pretty classy. :rolleyes:

Gadfly22

Reaction score
Can someone with a better recollection than mine clear something up?

I seem to recall that before "Crazy Ray" was called "Crazy Ray" he was called "Whistling Ray" because of the wild whistling he would do. Am I thinking of someone else or am I just not remembering correctly at all?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gadfly22;3880188 said:

I seem to recall that before "Crazy Ray" was called "Crazy Ray" he was called "Whistling Ray" because of the wild whistling he would do. Am I thinking of someone else or am I just not remembering correctly at all?
I remember a player (Tony Dorsett?) referring to him as Whistling Ray once, so he must've been called that at one time.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
shnagy;3880177 said:
Great guy right there. Miss him being in the stands.

Since this thread sparked my curiosity, I read over his wiki page and then checked out the Skins "Chief Zee" and ran across this little nugget of amazing Eagle fan history:

"In 1983, Chief Zee attended a game against the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. While at the game, he was attacked by Eagles fans angry at their team's 10-point loss to the Commanders - the fans broke his leg, tore off his original costume, and left him hospitalized"

I didn't know about this since it happened before I was born, but looks like Eagle fans have always been pretty classy. :rolleyes:

He and Chief Zee were great friends if I remember correctly. It was at Crazy Ray's memorial that CZ for the first time ever while in "Character" took off his war bonnet in honor of someone.

There is an article somewhere about this and I wished I could find it. Google was no help.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gadfly22;3880188 said:

You are absolutely correct. He could whistle like a bird man.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3880219 said:
Yep.

And it makes me tear up as well.
I almost posted it in the OP, but relented. I probably shouldn't have.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v735/BoyzMama/Boyz_Irvin-CrazyRay.gif

Two of my all-time favorite Cowboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
And by the way...in my opinion, Crazy Ray ought to be in the Ring of Honor.

Warick

Reaction score
I miss seeing ol' Crazy Ray on the sidelines, and I agree about the ring, Hos.

RIP Crazy Ray..

dwdj75

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
In, I think 1999-00, I was waiting at a clinic to take a drug test for a new job when I looked over and thought to myself "I know this guy from somewhere". It took about two minutes of furiously wracking my brain to remember where when *ding* it hit me !

I asked "Are you Crazy Ray?" and he said "Yeah !" and we talked for a good twenty minutes or so about the Cowboys and stuff, and right when they called for him at the last minute I asked for his Autograph. He was the coolest guy, great man.