#41 to FS?

zack

Reaction score
What about moving Newman to FS, release Sensabaugh, draft a SS. Move Scandrick to the Newman's spot, and keep Jenkins where he is. Hopefully, pick up a real secondary coach to firm up Jenkins technique. Thoughts?

JVita17

Benched
Reaction score
Sickwitit;3780705 said:
No newman is fine where he is.

How about we take Barber from the closer role where he gets double digit TDs and make him an everydown back?

Lets break EVERYTHING that works. In the name of Madden. Amen.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea. He can barely handle the physical rigors of the CB position, much less the safety position.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
We REALLY need an FS that will whiff on tackles, have huge mental lapses and shy away from contact.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
It must be that during game broadcasts people hear "Newman" and "tackle" in the same sentence and take that to mean he doesnt like to tacke.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Patton;3780723 said:
We REALLY need an FS that will whiff on tackles, have huge mental lapses and shy away from contact.

Newman is probably our best tackling DB. He is a better tackler then both of our safeties, and definitely the best CB. What game have you been watching?

If you want to knock his coverage skills, then go for it, but he is a pretty sure tackler. He has made several great open field tackles this year.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
Ah, the Newman Defense Force. Get real, this guy makes business decisions on a fairly regular basis. As far as the most sure tackler of the DBs, I'm wondering if you people have actually seen Orlando Scandrick play. Horrendous cornerback, solid tackler.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Newman tackles well for a CB. I don't think he's up for the physical toll that it takes to run support as a safety though. Plus the fact that he appears to be a better man to man player than a zone player, so all in all safety just doesn't seem like a good fit for him. He's a solid CB and should stay there.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
so for being dubbed a heinous "Newman Defender" I just wonder, how many tackles does he have on the year and how does that compare to a corner that isn't as awful in the eyes of the Newman Lynch Mob?

[youtube]Uz9xgOOIjYI[/youtube]

:)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't we improve the pass rush back to one of the best in the NFL, bring in a real secondary coach and leave TNew at CB?

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3780769 said:
Why don't we improve the pass rush back to one of the best in the NFL, bring in a real secondary coach and leave TNew at CB?
yeah... well I guess that could work too.... lol

7footer

Reaction score
I've been a proponent of this move as well. Contrary to what some people are saying in this thread, Newman is a very good open field tackler. He has lost half a step at CB, but would make for an extremely fast/smart FS who would be an instant upgrade at the position.

Thew problem is, such a move is contingent on our team either drafting a highly talented CB with our #9 pick in the draft, or signing a talented CB in free agency.

However, I suppose that if we decieded to trade down a few spots from the #9 pick, we may be able to pick up a pretty good CB like Janoris Jenkins and still address our O-Line as well with someone like Soldier or Crimini. Either way, as long as we get some promising talent at CB in the first round or find someone in free agency, then think this plan would be a good one. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how the chips fall in the offseason to get a better idea of how we can utilize our talent.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
JVita17;3780711 said:
How about we take Barber from the closer role where he gets double digit TDs and make him an everydown back?

Lets break EVERYTHING that works. In the name of Madden. Amen.

You two are up for POTY.

Nothing but cold hard, factual truths:bow:

zack

Reaction score

He isn't getting younger and let's admit it, he really struggled this year. Ball is nothing to be desired.

Allen Ball - 6 1 - 195
TNew - 5 10 - 193

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
7footer;3780794 said:
I've been a proponent of this move as well. Contrary to what some people are saying in this thread, Newman is a very good open field tackler. He has lost half a step at CB, but would make for an extremely fast/smart FS who would be an instant upgrade at the position.

Thew problem is, such a move is contingent on our team either drafting a highly talented CB with our #9 pick in the draft, or signing a talented CB in free agency.

However, I suppose that if we decieded to trade down a few spots from the #9 pick, we may be able to pick up a pretty good CB like Janoris Jenkins and still address our O-Line as well with someone like Soldier or Crimini. Either way, as long as we get some promising talent at CB in the first round or find someone in free agency, then think this plan would be a good one. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how the chips fall in the offseason to get a better idea of how we can utilize our talent.

What makes you think Newman would be a much better Safety than CB? From all we've seen this year the guy is much better in man coverage than zone, and playing safety.. alot of his responsibility would be playing a zone type coverage.

He also tackles well for a CB, but he's too undersized and frail to to be able to withstand a pounding in run support as a safety. You have to be able to play closer to the line and move through the big bodies to make stops. I think he'd struggle with that aspect of it.

zack

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3780805 said:
What makes you think Newman would be a much better Safety than CB? From all we've seen this year the guy is much better in man coverage than zone, and playing safety.. alot of his responsibility would be playing a zone type coverage.

He also tackles well for a CB, but he's too undersized and frail to to be able to withstand a pounding in run support as a safety. You have to be able to play closer to the line and move through the big bodies to make stops. I think he'd struggle with that aspect of it.

It is not like Ball is making physical plays at the LOS. I hardly remember his play at the LOS. I think he could handle it. He is 2 inches shorter than Ball, and a couple lbs lighter. He is still a lot faster than Ball. It would be good to continue/extend his career.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
zack;3780820 said:
It is not like Ball is making physical plays at the LOS. I hardly remember his play at the LOS. I think he could handle it. He is 2 inches shorter than Ball, and a couple lbs lighter. He is still a lot faster than Ball. It would be good to continue/extend his career.

That was one of the problems with Ball.. he sucked in run support and didn't make many plays. Saying you didn't see Ball do it doesn't mean Newman should move there. Certainly playing safety is a more physical position than CB, and he gets hurt all the time playing CB.

Bottom line.. he's a solid CB. No reason to try and make him learn a new position when he's already solid at one.

Plus again, he's better in man coverage with his back to the play than he is in zone coverage, which is more like how a safety plays.

Nexx

Reaction score
if tnew is still around i want him as a nickle corner/safety. i want a new starting corner and i want jenkins's end out of his own arse.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Nexx;3780837 said:
if tnew is still around i want him as a nickle corner/safety. i want a new starting corner and i want jenkins's end out of his own arse.

Eww.. gross. :eek:

Wait, what does that even mean..