49ers look at some top young junior offensive linemen, one cowboys might draft!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/02/combine-questio-1.html

Combine questions for potential Niner picks
The annual scouting combine is around the corner. Over the next week I'll be looking at the players that could tempt the 49ers with their two first-round picks in April. Each of those players has questions that scouts and front-office officials will hope to answer at the combine. Some of them will be answered with a medical test, some in the interview portion. Other answers will come on the field and weight room as players are asked to perform strength and agility drills. As always, NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang spent a lot of time on the telephone helping me compile the list. Remember, the 49ers pick 13th and either 16th or 17th depending on coin flip with the Titans, which will be conducted at the combine. The list is alphabetical. The first three prospects happen to be junior offensive tackles ...

Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa, 6-6, 312, junior.
Because Bulaga is an underclassmen, he did not take part in the Senior Bowl and was not weighed and measured there. Scouts obviously will be interested to find out exactly how he and the other underclassmen stack up. Bulaga's biggest question mark is medical. He was diagnosed with a thyroid condition three days after the season opener and missed three games. Bulaga suffered from shortness of breath in practice and was briefly hospitalization. The good news is that he seems to have overcome the issue. His play steadily improved as the year went on, and he had a very good showing in the Orange Bowl against a Georgia Tech team that had one of the best defenses in the country last year. New 49ers offensive line coach Mike Solari said he plans on running both gap and zone-blocking schemes this season. Of all the offensive linemen projected as first-round picks, Bulaga and Maryland's Bruce Campbell seem to have the best feet for zone blocking.

Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland, 6-7, 310, junior.
When I visited the Maryland campus last year for a story on Vernon Davis, I, of course, had to check in with Terps strength coach Dwight Galt. As predicted, Galt gushed about Davis' weight-room prowess. But he also mentioned he had another pupil in Davis' mold. That's Campbell, who like Davis is a muscular, freakish athlete who will put up eye-popping numbers in the weight room. Rang said that Campbell is expected to perform so well in the 40-yard dash and agility tests that if he doesn't it could take him down the boards. In that way, he is a victim of high expectations. The most important part of the combine for Campbell, however, may be the interview process. Campbell only has 17 career starts at Maryland. He missed three starts as a junior last season --his first season as a full-time starter - due to an MCL sprain and turf toe, and he probably could have benefited from another full season. Because of that, there was some surprise that he chose to enter the draft as an underclassmen. Teams will be very interested in how he responds when they ask, "So, why are you here?"

Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers, 6-6, 325, junior.
The interview portion will be perhaps more critical with Davis than any prospect I'll be writing about. There's no question the big offensive lineman has talent, but he didn't have the best work ethic at Rutgers and struggled to maintain his weight. In that way, he's similar to former Alabama offensive lineman Andre Smith. The Bengals, who ended up selecting Smith sixth overall last year, reportedly have a "weight clause" in his contract. Davis, meanwhile, was suspended a game for violating team rules in 2008 and missed a team meeting in 2009. You can bet he'll get grilled about those incidents in Indianapolis. "Those are the types of questions they're going to hit him with," Rang said. "It's all going to come down to the interview with him."

Next up: Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati and Sergio Kindle.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Interesting tidbits of info Joe. Who is your favorite OT that you think we could possibly trade up for?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3277533 said:
Interesting tidbits of info Joe. Who is your favorite OT that you think we could possibly trade up for?

I like Brian Bulaga, (I think he is the next player like a Larry Allen) OT-OG and Bruce Campbell from Maryland, along with Trent Williams. I think Bulaga will go way to high for us, somewhere around the 17th pick along with Trent. We might have a chance with Campbell,but I think he might go to the Cardinals right before we pick. The cardinals got exposed at their OT play last year too somewhat.

But Bulaga I really like, he can do it all, really is super strong and nasty. Only iffy thing on his was his thyroid gland issue.

Anthony Davis I am kinda leary of with his work ethic lack of, thats a big no no to me when drafting a player, he has disappeared in some games and has had some personal type issues in his past.

Campbell might be the next Erik Williams type player with his speed and strenght and nastiness, if he has his head on right. I still think by the time we draft though, the players will all be gone by the 16th pick. I see the Steelers and the Packers possibly picking offensive linemen too right before we draft too.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3277549 said:
I like Brian Bulaga, OT-OG and Bruce Campbell from Maryland, along with Trent Williams. I think Bulaga will go way to high for us, somewhere around the 17th pick along with Trent. We might have a chance with Campbell,but I think he might go to the Cardinals right before we pick. The cardinals got exposed at their OT play last year too somewhat.

But Bulaga I really like, he can do it all, really is super strong and nasty. Only iffy thing on his was his thyroid gland issue.

Anthony Davis I am kinda leary of, he has disappeared in some games and has had some personal type issues in his past.

Campbell might be the next Erik Williams type player with his speed and strenght and nastiness, if he has his head on right. I still think by the time we draft though, the players will all be gone by the 16th pick. I see the Steelers and the Packers possibly picking offensive linemen too right before we draft too.

Yeah my fears as well. That leaves trading down to the top of the 2nd round...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3277552 said:
Yeah my fears as well. That leaves trading down to the top of the 2nd round...

Exactly, if those players are gone, the offensive linemen and Jared DE from Penn State, then trade down and pick up someone like Ducasee or Fox, or maybe both of them with Ducasse playing OG and Fox OT.

burmafrd

Reaction score
you don't want any lazy fat boys. A lot of O line play is about attitude.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;3277830 said:
you don't want any lazy fat boys. A lot of O line play is about attitude.

This.

Can anyone name a good "lazy" offensive lineman? They don't exist.