CFZ 49ers more deserving than Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This will be the 49ers 3rd NFC Championship game in 4 years . No doubt the more proven and established team in recent years than the Cowboys.

And they have won 12 games in a row now rolling with 7 games in a row since Purdy took over after Jimmy G went down.

They have the #1 defense in the NFL and Star talent at the key positions on offense . Only weakness or question mark is a Rookie QB who was last pick in the draft.

No Rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl but the 49ers are a seasoned veteran playoff and championship caliber roster .

Something the Cowboys haven’t accomplished in recent years despite having a roster which has been in the playoffs. But not consistently and without much proven success.

Hopefully the Cowboys after making the playoffs in back to back seasons for only the second time in 21st Century and first since 2006-2007 will begin a more consistent playoff run. We did win our first road playoff game since 1992 which is one hurdle or monkey to get off of our back.

The next and probably greatest Monkey on our back is overcoming 7 straight Divisional Round losses, the longest in NFL history. And until we do we will not be considered a playoff team expected to go deeper or further into the playoffs .

The good news is the more consistent a playoff team you become with more consecutive appearances and more wins in playoffs then you can begin to raise your expectations while also increasing your chances of finally knocking the door down.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The 49ers made more plays, scored more points and made less mistakes, so yes, they are more deserving. If we are going to rely on on what teams did in previous years as the benchmarks for future success, there would be no turnover in the NFL.

The Cowboys matched up well vs. the 49ers and had opportunities to best them outright. Mistakes are a critical part of football and can determine outcomes as we saw last Sunday.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The 49ers made more plays, scored more points and made less mistakes, so yes, they are more deserving. If we are going to rely on on what teams did in previous years as the benchmarks for future success, there would be no turnover in the NFL.

The Cowboys matched up well vs. the 49ers and had opportunities to best them outright. Mistakes are a critical part of football and can determine outcomes as we saw last Sunday.
Correct , each season stands on its own merit .

But the bigger point is teams that are perineal playoff teams and have recently been to championship games naturally have higher expectations based on recent success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Having opportunities to beat SF doesn’t mean we were the better team or should have won.

Over our history we had opportunities to beat the 60’s Packers , all of our SB losses in 70’s and other championship losses and playoff losses. This era as well.

And I’d argue we were good enough to win any of those championships . I’m just not sure for most of those we expected to win. The Packers were in the midst of their record 5 NFL titles , the Steelers their dominating 70’s run. Only as defending champs in 1978 did we think were the better team and expected to win.

And in the playoffs there are upsets as well . In 1980 the “ catch” game was basically an upset . Same in 1981 against Philly. Our divisional round losses in 2007 and 2016 at home both were upsets . It happens . The best team doesn’t always win.

We had opportunities to beat SF Sunday. But we didn’t . And I think most see it as the best team winning. Doesn’t mean we couldnt have won . I’m not here to decipher thru all of the deatails of the game . Just making generalization overview and historical perspective.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
This will be the 49ers 3rd NFC Championship game in 4 years . No doubt the more proven and established team in recent years than the Cowboys.

And they have won 12 games in a row now rolling with 7 games in a row since Purdy took over after Jimmy G went down.

They have the #1 defense in the NFL and Star talent at the key positions on offense . Only weakness or question mark is a Rookie QB who was last pick in the draft.

No Rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl but the 49ers are a seasoned veteran playoff and championship caliber roster .

Something the Cowboys haven’t accomplished in recent years despite having a roster which has been in the playoffs. But not consistently and without much proven success.

Hopefully the Cowboys after making the playoffs in back to back seasons for only the second time in 21st Century and first since 2006-2007 will begin a more consistent playoff run. We did win our first road playoff game since 1992 which is one hurdle or monkey to get off of our back.

The next and probably greatest Monkey on our back is overcoming 7 straight Divisional Round losses, the longest in NFL history. And until we do we will not be considered a playoff team expected to go deeper or further into the playoffs .

The good news is the more consistent a playoff team you become with more consecutive appearances and more wins in playoffs then you can begin to raise your expectations while also increasing your chances of finally knocking the door down.
They are more deserving because they won the game vs the Cowboys. Nothing else matters. No history, nothing that happened prior this season even.

If the Cowboys had won they would have been more deserving, well, because they won.

All that other stuff is meaningless.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

Your last point is extremely important. While we as fans can say Super Bowl or bust every season and the franchise can say it - it’s extremely hollow. We haven’t been super bowl or bust for a long time. Hell, 2 postseason appearances in a Row didn’t happen for nearly 15 years.

That’s why despite all the doom and gloom here I’m still optimistic about where we are. I think mm is building a team that competes for the division and conference year in year out. A team that consistently can win 10,11,12 wins and get into the playoffs. The more playoff appearance the better the chances are you get hot go on a run and bust through the door and hoist a lombardi.

I like where the franchise is for the most part. I say that realizing how bad we’ve been and what a fall from grace we’ve had. I say that knowing dak is maddening at times to watch and not truly elite. Until this team wins a super bowl people here and cowboys fans will walk around with a black cloud over their head- down playing anything remotely positive. I’m not all sunshine and rainbows either as I can criticize and critique with the best of them and have before but I feel we are in a much better spot than we’ve been in a long time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
More deserving because in an evenly matched defensive effort game, a rookie QB did not turn the ball over whereas Dak turned it over twice, resulting in a net 9-point loss for Dallas who lost the game by 7.
No doubt that was a key element in the game . We had failed opportunities to intercept the ball from Purdy . Two easy drops . One would have thwarted one of their scoring drives . You have to make those plays .

We were the #1 team in league in creating turnovers . And on a day when our QB and offense were struggling against the #1 defense how much could those turnovers have helped. Just saying…

Bottomline , they made more plays and less mistakes . And when the game was on the line drove down to score.

Their last two scoring drives to take the lead and extend the lead were championship caliber . Something we were unable to do or overcome.

Is it more about what we are unable to do or how much credit goes to them for not allowing us? Those are all speculative arguments. But bottomline is they got it done and we didn’t . And I’d argue they are more deserving.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I was proud of the defense. Last year they got pushed around and this year they pushed them around. Just keep getting better on that side and we will be tough to beat.
I agree with you. But the front office and coaching staff have to be on the same page. A great defense protects a young QB or protects an offense when the run game gets off to a slow start.

The problem is...you cannot "market" a great defense...and that is why I said the front office and the coaching staff have to be on the same page in terms of the best way for this team to win. Do you want to be relevant or do you want to win?

I have no doubt in my mind that with the money Dak and Zeke were being paid...Jerry wanted them "featured". People that don't believe that are naïve. Will Jerry allowed Dak to be reigned in for the betterment of the team...and still pull down 50m? Would Jerry sit back and let Dak be used like Purdy while making 50m? He will wonder aloud why am I paying all this money. Well...it's too late now Jerry...so do you want to win...or do you want to get your moneys worth? Because to me...as long as you win...you got you money's worth! He has to stop making this personal.....Dak and Zeke beat him at the negotiating table....and I think that eats him up more than on the field losses.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

Yep, it took us 32 years, but we finally got that road win. Step 1 complete.

Next step, get a divisional win. It might take us another 32 years to achieve Step 2, but that's ok....slow and steady wins the race. 2054 is gonna be a SWEET year!!! NfC Championship Game Baby!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you. But the front office and coaching staff have to be on the same page. A great defense protects a young QB or protects an offense when the run game gets off to a slow start.

The problem is...you cannot "market" a great defense...and that is why I said the front office and the coaching staff have to be on the same page in terms of the best way for this team to win. Do you want to be relevant or do you want to win?

I have no doubt in my mind that with the money Dak and Zeke were being paid...Jerry wanted them "featured". People that don't believe that are naïve. Will Jerry allowed Dak to be reigned in for the betterment of the team...and still pull down 50m? Would Jerry sit back and let Dak be used like Purdy while making 50m? He will wonder aloud why am I paying all this money. Well...it's too late now Jerry...so do you want to win...or do you want to get your moneys worth? Because to me...as long as you win...you got you money's worth! He has to stop making this personal.....Dak and Zeke beat him at the negotiating table....and I think that eats him up more than on the field losses.
This^^^

One of the best post I’ve seen all week.
Spot on!!!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am really not trying to be facetious, but I don't think teams deserve anything .. they earn it.

I have always believed that good teams find a way to win games, especially important games.

Whether or not someone deserves something is usually a hindsight observation applied to justify or denounce an outcome.

The 49ers won the game because they played well and made less game-changing mistakes.

The Cowboys lost the game because they made more game-changing mistakes.

Based on that, you can say the 49ers deserved to win, but that's just a hindsight observation now that the game is over.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am really not trying to be facetious, but I don't think teams deserve anything .. they earn it.

I have always believed that good teams find a way to win games, especially important games.

Whether or not someone deserves something is usually a hindsight observation applied to justify or denounce an outcome.

The 49ers won the game because they played well and made less game-changing mistakes.

The Cowboys lost the game because they made more game-changing mistakes.

Based on that, you can say the 49ers deserved to win, but that's just a hindsight observation now that the game is over.
Well said . Earning the win IMO defines deserving.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
i feel like the 49ers is a team that's the definition of "right there"....the past few years they have been crazy competitive but always have to deal with big injuries to key players that always make you wonder what would've happened if they were at full strength.....Thought this year was gonna be the same situation after they lost both QBs buuuuut here we are. Think they found the right combo of scheme, drafting, and free agency

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The 49's should serve as an example to those that think Dak just needs better weapons and a stronger defense.

Better weapons and a strong defense have played a primary role in the 49's success in getting to those 3 NFCCGs, but average QB play has kept them from winning it all.

Their version of Dak had a championship in his hands, but he whiffed on hitting the wide open receiver in the waning moments of the SB. He was a limiting factor in losing the other CG.

The 49's also tried to move on from the same QB who got them to two of those CG's as well as a SB.

Eventually you need your QB to make a couple bigtime plays in bigtime moments to win the bigtime prize, no matter how good your weapons and defense are.

Ken

Reaction score

I am so impressed with how the niners have built their roster and the consistent success they have had. They should be getting the ESPN article and not the Eagles.

I had a LONG convo with my best friend Eagles fan yesterday. He swears they are going to destroy them. I had to bring him up to speed on why execting that, it could happen but you shouldn't EXPECT it, is ridiculous.

He swore the Eagles run defense is great. I said...your team has given up over 100 yards 7 straight games.
He swore the Eagles have the better pass D...i told him that the 49ers have the #1 ints in the league.
He said they would run the ball...i said the 49ers have the #1 rush defense.
He said bosa would not get sacks on Hurts....i sent him clips of Bosa sacking him twice last year vs the same line.
He said the eagles are playing too good...i told him the 49ers had won 12 straight. He really was not aware of this lol

I will be surprised if these 49ers don't win it all.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I will be surprised if these 49ers don't win it all.
I would. I just can't see a rookie, who doesn't even have a full NFL season under his belt, going through an NFC Championship game AND a Super Bowl. That's a lot of pressure. What the Niners have done is impressive, no doubt, but they're definitely playing with house money right now.

If they do win it all, I'll eat crow and be impressed. It'd be a story for the history books.

Ken

Reaction score
I would. I just can't see a rookie, who doesn't even have a full NFL season under his belt, going through an NFC Championship game AND a Super Bowl. That's a lot of pressure. What the Niners have done is impressive, no doubt, but they're definitely playing with house money right now.

If they do win it all, I'll eat crow and be impressed. It'd be a story for the history books.
I don't see any of it affecting Purdy's game. He should have thrown at least two picks last week...having said that.

He won't get away with those this week.