49ers shopping Solomon Thomas

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
Thomas was a tweener from the start who never should've been drafted that high. He's a typical example of ignoring measurables. His are not great. However, he does have a great motor and is a smart player.

If he could be had for a late round pick, I suppose that'd be fine.

He was not terrible last season for SF, just wasn't disruptive. SF played him at DE, prolly needs to bulk up and play DT. He's basically Crawford part deux, but Crawford is better.

There ya go, he's Crawford light. Still want him?

Verdammung

Reaction score
The problem with Solomon Thomas is that he was an underweight interior rusher propsect who has been played primarily as a right defensive end in SF's 4-3. They didn't use him often in the interior, because they had DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead already.

I'd rather give up a day 3 pick taking a flier on him than use a day 2 pick on the players they're interested in at 3-tech.

kskboys

Reaction score
The problem with Solomon Thomas is that he was an underweight interior rusher propsect who has been played primarily as a right defensive end in SF's 4-3. They didn't use him often in the interior, because they had DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead already.

I'd rather give up a day 3 pick taking a flier on him than use a day 2 pick on the players they're interested in at 3-tech.
Going to be taking on a pretty monstrous salary for a backup.

Verdammung

Reaction score
Thomas was a tweener from the start who never should've been drafted that high. He's a typical example of ignoring measurables. His are not great. However, he does have a great motor and is a smart player.

If he could be had for a late round pick, I suppose that'd be fine.

He was not terrible last season for SF, just wasn't disruptive. SF played him at DE, prolly needs to bulk up and play DT. He's basically Crawford part deux, but Crawford is better.

There ya go, he's Crawford light. Still want him?

To be nitpicky, Solomon Thomas has world class measurables; he just has the wrong weight for his natural position.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Saw something from Andrew Brandt. This year and next here he makes less than a million each year. His 5th year option would be expensive, but similiar to Rosen, the 49ers have already obsorbed most of the cost for the player.

kskboys

Reaction score
To be nitpicky, Solomon Thomas has world class measurables; he just has the wrong weight for his natural position.
He does? I guess he blew the combine apart?

By measurables, I mean burst and bend and straight-line speed which he lacks at DE.

Serious question: What are these world class measurables he possesses? I really don't see them.

Verdammung

Reaction score

It's fair to bring up the contract. The two points I'd make in contrast to this is A) if he can live up to his draft status and projection, he won't be a backup, and B) I'm not a cap expert, so please feel free to correct me on this, but a quick google search has led me to believe that his $18 million signing bonus would count against SF's cap, and that the total guarantees the Cowboys would be liable for about $7 million spread out over two years. So basically, you could cut him at any time.

And in response to your inquiry about measurables, yes I'm talking about his combine performance and not the things you listed because they're measured, which is why they're called measurables.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He does? I guess he blew the combine apart?

By measurables, I mean burst and bend and straight-line speed which he lacks at DE.

Serious question: What are these world class measurables he possesses? I really don't see them.
Without looking it up, his combine numbers were very good for his size... with ‘for his size’ being the key phrase. They weren’t that great for a RDE but they were very good for a DT.

He’s a tweener who shouldn’t be a DE IMO and really doesn’t fit a lot of schemes. I think he should be a 3 tech in a 1 gap penetrating defense just like Dallas has.

I would like to see Marinelli get him and try to make a 3T out of him.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Without looking it up, his combine numbers were very good for his size... with ‘for his size’ being the key phrase. They weren’t that great for a RDE but they were very good for a DT.

He’s a tweeter who shouldn’t be a DE IMO and really doesn’t fit a lot of schemes. I think he should be a 3 tech in a 1 gap penetrating defense just like Dallas has.

I would like to see Marinelli get him and try to make a 3T out of him.
Me too...and that would round out the draft, up front.