49ers will not franchise Peterson

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
49ers | Team not tagging Peterson as franchise player
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:54:19 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers do not plan on tagging LB Julian Peterson as the club's franchise player. The 49ers would have to make a one-year, $8.75 million commitment if they designated him. 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said he's not sure if the team will make an effort to re-sign Peterson once the March 3 free agency period begins. "I know we'd love to have him back, but when 31 other teams are out there, it's hard to say," said Nolan. "If the (salary) number takes us out of the realm where it hurts the football team, we have to be smart about how far we go."

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
He isn't the same player he was before the injury-- pass.

I agree, I have a friend thats a 9er fan he has been 2wanting to get rid of Peterson for a couple years. Says he doesnt stick to assignments and gets ate up by blockers

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Right on MW. He may eventually get back to where he was, but for the money he'll command... it just isn't worth the risk. More likely, he'll always be a shell of what he once was, athletically speaking.

Pass.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
I wish these athletes who have become a shell of their former selves would stop asking for the big money contracts. Sure there are dumb GM's out there(Matt Millen), but no one would pay a slowed down Julian Peterson the kind of money a top tier OLB would get. He hasn't proven he's elite once again.

Same goes for Ray Lewis. Why would a broke down former elite think he deserves the big money contract? He has slowed down physically and spiritually, and he can barely stay on the field now. Is Al Davis really a sucker enough to give Ray-Ray the big $$$?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not big enough for OLB in Parcells scheme. Tall enough, not big enough.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Not big enough for OLB in Parcells scheme. Tall enough, not big enough.

That's true. I'm still in awe on how much better that giant man Shanle was as compared to Dat. :)

Hailmary

Reaction score
Pass on Peterson. I think we'd be better off trading down and picking up Carpenter if available.

Does anyone know if the 9ers are planning on cutting Rashaun Woods? He would intrigue me at the right price.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
I'd rather take a chance on drafting Bobby Carpenter than signing Peterson

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
torrescatch22 said:
I'd rather take a chance on drafting Bobby Carpenter than signing Peterson

BINGO!

Bobby Carpenter... welcome to the Dallas Cowboys.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Lord knows Kevin Smith never was. It's a ***** injury.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun said:
Lord knows Kevin Smith never was. It's a ***** injury.

Exactly.

I'm anxious to see how Tikeo Spikes comes back or attempts to come back from his.

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
Pass on Peterson. I think we'd be better off trading down and picking up Carpenter if available.

Does anyone know if the 9ers are planning on cutting Rashaun Woods? He would intrigue me at the right price.

Man he's not that good..geesh!!