4th Down Fears? - Going for it, Missouri style

JBS

Reaction score
not in the playoffs not for a big RS game where you have to win to get in..nope.

no analytics tells coach to go for it on 4th down and 4 on our 40 if its tight playoff game..you punt ummkkk..analytics used with common sense ok..instincts used with coming sense you get into one and done playoffs matchup you actually take less risks until the games on the line and you become bit desperate.
.theres common ground between old football instincts and new age analytics when its a not team you should beat in the regulars season and team that can easily take advantage of mistakes and make you pay, you use common sense old football instincts with some analytics..

its who you are playing and when you are playing them..when its not the regulars season weak teams , coaches make different decisions..

yeah, like I said, I will take this bet..and point to a time this season where Dallas went for it on 4th and 4+ on their own 40..mmmmmmmK

blueblood70

Reaction score
yeah, like I said, I will take this bet..and point to a time this season where Dallas went for it on 4th and 4+ on their own 40..mmmmmmmK
they went at least 3 times last and this season from memory on our side of the field , so yes MM has done it , saying he wont come crunch time , bet against YOURSELF IF YOU CANT EVEN REMEMBER THE FACT THAT MIKE HS GONE FOR IT ON OUR SIDE OF THE FIELD ON 4TH DOWN..that my claim he would do no such thing in a playoff game and punt more then he goes for 4th downs until its necessary.

there will be far less fakes and aggressiveness from bones as well in bigger games against better opponents and especially in the playhoffs..ie no 60 yard attempts etc more punts coming trust me the playoffs are different animal..

JBS

Reaction score
they went at least 3 times last and this season from memory on our side of the field , so yes MM has done it , saying he wont come crunch time , bet against YOURSELF IF YOU CANT EVEN REMEMBER THE FACT THAT MIKE HS GONE FOR IT ON OUR SIDE OF THE FIELD ON 4TH DOWN..that my claim he would do no such thing in a playoff game and punt more then he goes for 4th downs until its necessary.

there will be far less fakes and aggressiveness from bones as well in bigger games against better opponents and especially in the playhoffs..ie no 60 yard attempts etc more punts coming trust me the playoffs are different animal..

you are absolutely clueless. 4th and 4+ …can you read?

lkelly

Reaction score
McCarthy's got brass ones.

Protected by several layers of fat but they're there.
screen-shot-2017-05-25-at-6-35-25-am-1495690657.png

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'd say TODAY is the day to be aggressive and take chances more so than when you're the better team playing at home.

Considering what we are missing (probably three of our top five players) and being on the road....I would do everything possible to keep the ball and maximize scoring opportunities and leave Mahomes on the sidelines.

I have a feeling we are going to see the Chiefs A game today.

For me, it comes down to pressuring Mahomes. He is a different player under fire....we've all seen that.

We will miss Gregory today but I'm hoping Armstrong can build off last week and they aren't shy about rushing Parsons.

Flamma

Reaction score
The only thing I worry about by missing these 4th down tries is giving the opponent momentum. Especially if Dallas doesn't have any points yet. Get the first points up and then take your chances. And don't go for it anytime a FG can put you up by an extra score. Otherwise have at it!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Then again one could just clap and play conservative and boring for 10 years till you get fired like a certain ex-HC we all know.

I don't believe I said to do that. I was just pointing out that sometimes punting can work out well. Just because going for it has become more trendy does not mean we have to do that every time. A good punter is an asset to his team, especially if he can pin the other team way back.