Drafted by Cowboys 4th Round - Pick 129 - TE Jake Ferguson (Wisconsin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-ferguson/32004645-5214-6119-2797-33878db83d5a

Overview
Durable, reliable and consistent, Ferguson comes from a football family. He had copy-and-paste receiving production throughout his career despite playing in a limited passing attack with inconsistent quarterback play. He has outstanding ball skills, including a rare level of concentration to make challenging catches in the face of oncoming collisions. While he gives effort as a blocker, he wasn't a great fit for what Wisconsin asks of their tight ends in the running game and he's likely to be overmatched if asked to take on defensive ends in the NFL. He is a solid receiver and a below-average blocker with TE2/3 potential.
Strengths
  • Holds school record for consecutive games with a catch.
  • Clever release stems and skilled hand usage to slip pressure.
  • Routes were more crisp in 2021.
  • Speed to threaten seam vertically and hops to snare at the high point.
  • Outstanding catch focus no matter the traffic jam.
  • Certified tough guy, catching through very heavy contact.
  • Makes instant adjustments to the football.
  • Lateral quickness as zone blocker.
  • Adequate effort to sustain blocks in space.
This means he can catch all those accurate Dak passes

Jimbo123

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-ferguson/32004645-5214-6119-2797-33878db83d5a

Overview
Durable, reliable and consistent, Ferguson comes from a football family. He had copy-and-paste receiving production throughout his career despite playing in a limited passing attack with inconsistent quarterback play. He has outstanding ball skills, including a rare level of concentration to make challenging catches in the face of oncoming collisions. While he gives effort as a blocker, he wasn't a great fit for what Wisconsin asks of their tight ends in the running game and he's likely to be overmatched if asked to take on defensive ends in the NFL. He is a solid receiver and a below-average blocker with TE2/3 potential.
Strengths
Weaknesses
  • Lacks desired physicality as in-line blocker.
  • Needs to add core strength and determination.
  • Defensive ends play through him too easily.
  • Average burst off the line and into his routes.
  • Average leverage at the break point.
  • Would benefit by settling in space more quickly.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There are folks on here complaining about this pick that probably want to resign Schultz long term. What’s comical is that Ferguson is Dalton Schultz, and you’ll see why paying retail for Schultz is absolutely ridiculous.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Overview
Strengths
Answered all my questions. I was thinking he looks to have really good hands, not afraid of contact, and has a nose for the first down. What I couldn't see in the video was whether he could block or not, and apparently the answer is "not".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Answered all my questions. I was thinking he looks to have really good hands, not afraid of contact, and has a nose for the first down. What I couldn't see in the video was whether he could block or not, and apparently the answer is "not".
That’s what I’ve read and heard watching the draft. Good routes and hands and tough over the middle, but very average athletically and not a particularly strong blocker

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ticket radio suggesting that Cowboys wanted Chris Kolar TE, but Baltimore picked Kolar who went one pick earlier b4 Cowboys ....
Cowboys were going to take a TE in the 4th or 5th, and this is the pick.
Next.....
Drafting need and specific positions lol, not BPA.
So they say they will go BPA, then dont lol.

This guy looks ok .

I was impressed by the qb hornibrook, all his passes were on target and tight windows. He didnt even get drafted.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Probably the best highlight of any nfl draft prospect in this class

impressive

cowboys probably considered him at 24 and were able to get him in the 4th. They dominate this draft game.

I’ll promise you he wasn’t considered at 24. lol Had we taken him with our first pick they would’ve had to shut this board down for at least 24 hours for fans cool to off. :laugh:According to Kiper he’s a better pass catcher than blocker and a backup TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.