Twitter: 5 battles for starting jobs

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
According to both Jerry and Ben Grimaldi (the writer) Steele isn't a lock to be secure as a starter at RT. Both Ball and Waletzko are in the running to compete with him for that honor. Jerry had stated previously that an experienced OT wasn't destined to be in the Cowboys' plans this year, according to Grimaldi. This is the first I've heard of that. It'll be fun for sure.

It does appear that Steele must overcome the challenges of those two to retain his job at RT. Despite Steele having the experience, Ball and Waletzko will challenge. May the best man win! This battle should provide an interesting facet of training camp. We'll be obliged keep up. Let the battle begin -- all three should benefit from the experience. Ah lak it a lawt. :D

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • DE: Rotational position in Quinn's defense.
  • DT: Rotational position in Quinn's defense.
  • Safety: They used 3 Safeties on 40% of snaps in 2021.
  • RT: Steele has the job locked up for 2022.
  • OC: Farniok will challenge Biadasz for the starting spot.
A bigger question than any of those positions, is Swing Tackle.

Biadasz job to lose. Dont act like this is an open competition.

And you still havent answered my question about Farniok. What has this guy done to receive so much praise? Peronally I think its just some fans not liking Biadasz and hoping it happens. Farniok has shown NOTHING since he has been here to warrant praise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
According to both Jerry and Ben Grimaldi (the writer) Steele isn't a lock to be secure as a starter at RT. Both Ball and Waletzko are in the running to compete with him for that honor. Jerry had stated previously that an experienced OT wasn't destined to be in the Cowboys' plans this year, according to Grimaldi. This is the first I've heard of that. It'll be fun for sure.

It does appear that Steele must overcome the challenges of those two to retain his job at RT. Despite Steele having the experience, Ball and Waletzko will challenge. May the best man win! This battle should provide an interesting facet of training camp. We'll be obliged keep up. Let the battle begin -- all three should benefit from the experience. Ah lak it a lawt. :D

Im not buying that at all. They moved on from Collins specifically because of Steele. I suspect they are just talking about these other guys to make it look like its a competition. NO different then Biadasz and Farniok.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Im not buying that at all. They moved on from Collins specifically because of Steele. I suspect they are just talking about these other guys to make it look like its a competition. NO different then Biadasz and Farniok.

Ouch -- just when I was beginning to think there might have been a shred of hope for honest-to-goodness progress! I suppose Steele's progress gave them an excuse to rid themselves of a player (La'el) who turned out to be a turd in disguise. I guess we'll see what we have in house that's worthy of hanging on to with a glimmer of hope to succeed. Ball and Waletzko are rookies, at best, so it's not like they come with any guarantees.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ouch -- just when I was beginning to think there might have been a shred of hope for honest-to-goodness progress! I suppose Steele's progress gave them an excuse to rid themselves of a player who turned out to be a turd in disguise. I guess we'll see what we have in house that's worth of hanging onto for a glimmer of hope to succeed.

I think if they are hoping one of Steele, Ball, Fohelzko turns out to be a legitimate starting RT. If they do, that will be great. Tyler Smith is your new LT probably next year. They will be dipping into the draft next year to find another guard or center.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think if they are hoping one of Steele, Ball, Fohelzko turns out to be a legitimate starting RT. If they do, that will be great. Tyler Smith is your new LT probably next year. They will be dipping into the draft next year to find another guard or center.

It's like we favor exhausting every outside chance of making our cheapie acquisitions work, before actually doing anything worthy of praise. This drafting emphasis thing seems to be an endless process of doing something resembling progress. Jerry and Son mean well but, no #2 vet FAs? Help! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's like we favor exhausting every outside chance of making our cheapie acquisitions work, before actually doing anything worthy of praise. This drafting emphasis thing seems to be an endless process of doing something resembling progress. Jerry and Son mean well but, no #2 vet FAs? Help! :rolleyes:

If the defense takes a big step forward with all the young players this year. I think next year if it falls right they go back to building the new future OL.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the defense takes a big step forward with all the young players this year. I think next year if it falls right they go back to building the new future OL.

Well, that surely serves to validate the idea that it's a process. An endless one, perhaps, but a process, nevertheless. Patience, be with me.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

And you still havent answered my question about Farniok. What has this guy done to receive so much praise? Peronally I think its just some fans not liking Biadasz and hoping it happens. Farniok has shown NOTHING since he has been here to warrant praise.
Its Biadasz job to lose but we better hope that Farniok is there to push, next up would be Lindstrom then Emprey.
Would be great if B wins the gig, if he does it wasn't by appointment this season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The drafting emphasis thing is amazing. Love it and they are succeeding at it. But you have to use FA as well to not only speed up the process but fill in the gaps for a run.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
  • DE: Rotational position in Quinn's defense.
  • DT: Rotational position in Quinn's defense.
  • Safety: They used 3 Safeties on 40% of snaps in 2021.
  • RT: Steele has the job locked up for 2022.
  • OC: Farniok will challenge Biadasz for the starting spot.
A bigger question than any of those positions, is Swing Tackle.
All highly relevant and looking forward to seeing the different alignments, personally will be keeping a close eye at safety, and some of the back seven rooks in this camp and how they fit into Quinns scheme.
Have some good talent to look at and will be interesting how Bland, Harper, Jackson, and Hansford find a role.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its Biadasz job to lose but we better hope that Farniok is there to push, next up would be Lindstrom then Emprey.
Would be great if B wins the gig, if he does it wasn't by appointment this season.

We actually might be better off if Farniok actually won the job outright. That would mean that he is better than Biadasz. That would be amazing.

quickccc

Reaction score
Would have to be some major surprises, such as

- Either Ball or Matt Waletzko overtaking a failing Steele at RT.
- Farniok would have to surprise over Biadasz in all phases.
- Donovan would have to overtake Hooker
- Jabrail Cox over LVE
- Fowler vs Armstrong
- Nashon Wright vs Anthony Brown

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:facepalm: