News: 5 Things to Know About Doug Nussmeier by Kristi Scales

CCBoy

Reaction score
5 Things to Know About Doug Nussmeier
by Kristi Scales

http://www.5pointsblue.com/5-things-to-know-about-doug-nussmeier/

Nussmeier and Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan Are a Couple of Vandals!

Nussmeier and Linehan are both Vandals (that would be University of Idaho Vandals!!!). Both starred at QB. Linehan played from 1982-86; Nussemeir from 1990-93. Linehan was Nussemeir’s offensive coordinator with the Vandals during Nussmeier’s final two seasons, including his final year in which Nussmeier won the 1993 Walter Payton Award which is presented annually to the Division I-AA Player of the Year (yes, the same award that Tony Romo won at Eastern Illinois in 2002). Years later when Linehan was head coach of the St Louis Rams, Nussmeier was his QBs coach for two seasons (2006-07).

He’s Coached for Top College Football Programs

Nussmeier left Canada to begin his collegiate coaching career at Michigan State where he served as QBs coach from 2003-05. The 2006-2007 seasons are when he reunited with Linehan; those two seasons as Linehan’s QBs coach were Nussmeier’s first years on an NFL coaching staff. Nussmeier returned to college football in 2008 to become the offensive coordinator at Fresno State. Since then, Nussmeier has worked with several of the biggest college football programs in the country including Washington (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2009-11); Alabama (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2012-13); Michigan (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2014); and Florida (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2015-17).

This upcoming 2018 season with the Cowboys marks the first time he will work as a tight ends coach and will be his second stint on an NFL coaching staff...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 Things to Know About Doug Nussmeier
by Kristi Scales

http://www.5pointsblue.com/5-things-to-know-about-doug-nussmeier/

Nussmeier and Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan Are a Couple of Vandals!

Nussmeier and Linehan are both Vandals (that would be University of Idaho Vandals!!!). Both starred at QB. Linehan played from 1982-86; Nussemeir from 1990-93. Linehan was Nussemeir’s offensive coordinator with the Vandals during Nussmeier’s final two seasons, including his final year in which Nussmeier won the 1993 Walter Payton Award which is presented annually to the Division I-AA Player of the Year (yes, the same award that Tony Romo won at Eastern Illinois in 2002). Years later when Linehan was head coach of the St Louis Rams, Nussmeier was his QBs coach for two seasons (2006-07).

He’s Coached for Top College Football Programs

Nussmeier left Canada to begin his collegiate coaching career at Michigan State where he served as QBs coach from 2003-05. The 2006-2007 seasons are when he reunited with Linehan; those two seasons as Linehan’s QBs coach were Nussmeier’s first years on an NFL coaching staff. Nussmeier returned to college football in 2008 to become the offensive coordinator at Fresno State. Since then, Nussmeier has worked with several of the biggest college football programs in the country including Washington (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2009-11); Alabama (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2012-13); Michigan (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2014); and Florida (offensive coordinator/QBs, 2015-17).

This upcoming 2018 season with the Cowboys marks the first time he will work as a tight ends coach and will be his second stint on an NFL coaching staff...

Linehan has been empowered since the end of the season.
Moore in as QB coach
Pollack out as OL coach
Nussmeier in as TE coach.

Dooley - They appear to have tried to keep him but he didn't seem to be in agreement with Linehan based on his comments; therefore Linehan wins this one even if it was not the front office pushing Dooley out.

I think Garrett is likely completely out of the offensive game planning now and the "Linehan is running Garrett's offense" concept is gone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Linehan has been empowered since the end of the season.
Moore in as QB coach
Pollack out as OL coach
Nussmeier in as TE coach.

Dooley - They appear to have tried to keep him but he didn't seem to be in agreement with Linehan based on his comments; therefore Linehan wins this one even if it was not the front office pushing Dooley out.

I think Garrett is likely completely out of the offensive game planning now and the "Linehan is running Garrett's offense" concept is gone.

X...and finally a defineable line of authority and accountability!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Linehan. I don't see how bringing more of his like into Dallas is going to help. 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line and he continued to pass the ball. No faith.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Linehan. I don't see how bringing more of his like into Dallas is going to help. 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line and he continued to pass the ball. No faith.

Did you bother to read this newest addition's credentials?

diefree666

Reaction score
You can fluff up anyone's resume. Can the guy actually coach well? THE record is VERY spotty.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hopefully he improves the TE core, but it's a "wait and see" for me. Many college coaches didn't have the same success in the NFL.

diefree666

Reaction score
Oh, for sure...Michigan and Alabama always choose the throw away discounts...
just how WELL did he do there and then there is of course Florida? Or do you want a list of failed College coaches in the NFL?

you act like those schools do not make mistakes. Just for your education why don't you look up Alabama in the ten years or so before Saban?

visionary

Reaction score
X...and finally a defineable line of authority and accountability!

I'm sorry but having the HC out of decision making is not good
Having a HC so incompetent that you are forced to take him out of line of authority in his area of 'expertise ' is worse
Line of authority going from OC to incompetent GM is worse than above 2

You think players or coaches will be accountable when the HC and GM are not?

So I can't really see how this is a positive in any way

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hopefully he improves the TE core, but it's a "wait and see" for me. Many college coaches didn't have the same success in the NFL.

Yea, Jimmy Johnson carved that in stone and then Seattle has a pretty successful 'college' coach...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I presume that this now includes some significance of performance beyond expansion of misleading categories whether relevant in a discussion or not...
I thought my opinion point was fairly clear.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I thought my opinion point was fairly clear.
th

Care to include a single comment now, that included the OP topic: Nussmeier