News: 5 Worst Contracts for 2019 Dallas Cowboys

John813

Reaction score
Top 2 I agree with.

Lee at 6 is a lot for his expected position(SOLB) but he does provide excellent depth and leadership on and off the field(film room). Still understand the reasoning for him being on the list.

Witten at 4.25m isn't a lot for a starting TE. Yea, I'm not a fan of bringing him back, but his cap hit for what he should bring is fair.
We know he's slow, but as long as he can perform that Y-option route like years before he'll be worth the $.

Charlton at 2.75m isn't that bad. Talking about a rookie contract for a DE. It actually shows how well their contracts are set up when he makes this list.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I agree with the first two. Hurns will be the #4 WR at best, and that's assuming he comes out of training camp 100%. Crawford is a JAG.

Lee, Witten, and Taco (who has some upside) at those prices are good value.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ehhh, I can't get worked up over the Charlton contract. $2.7MM for a backup DE who has some upside (admittedly hasn't reached that potential)? That's not a terrible contract.

If that's our fifth worst, then we're in pretty good shape.

IMO, the only bad contracts on that list are really Crawford's and Hurns, both of whom are getting paid too much for the roles they are expected to play. Crawford should be on Quinn's level for the money he's receiving, and while he's a solid rotational player, he's not on that level. Hurns should at least be the starting slot receiver for his contract amount.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ehhh, I can't get worked up over the Charlton contract. $2.7MM for a backup DE who has some upside (admittedly hasn't reached that potential)? That's not a terrible contract.

Targets for next season and how this year's bump, to be signed yet, can still allow for contracts for such players as Jaylon Smith, Anthony Brown, and Byron Jones.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

IMO, the only bad contracts on that list are really Crawford's and Hurns, both of whom are getting paid too much for the roles they are expected to play. Crawford should be on Quinn's level for the money he's receiving, and while he's a solid rotational player, he's not on that level. Hurns should at least be the starting slot receiver for his contract amount.

Yeah, really not all that bad. I think Hurns will add more than what people think. He is a good player, just not to the usuals liking. :laugh:
I wish Crawford was more productive than he is, but he also does a lot to help other players that do not show up in the stats. The dirty work.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, really not all that bad. I think Hurns will add more than what people think. He is a good player, just not to the usuals liking. :laugh:
I wish Crawford was more productive than he is, but he also does a lot to help other players that do not show up in the stats. The dirty work.

His leadership on the defensive line is an element very relevant. Rotation strong...is my thought.

J12B

Reaction score
Yeah, but Crawford is a leader.

He leads bar fights.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If these are the worst that is not too bad. Crawford and Charlton contracts are the only ones that extend beyond this season the rest are on the final year of their contracts.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Jason Witten is a sure-fire Hall of Famer ; I know he's a shadow of what he used to be , but I realize he's a life-long (illustrious) Cowboy and a Garrett and Jones boys favorite...........................

Crawford at $10 million per is a head-scratcher to me.....................................But hey , it ain't my money...........................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's the draft pick cost there - and the fact that they took Taco over the better option - rather than the salary cap cost.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

If our receivers look good in camp and without injury, Hurns could be cut or dealt.

Flamma

Reaction score
Nitpicking. I do agree that Crawford is a bit over paid even though I like the guy. Hurns? Sure. But Lee, Witten and Taco? They're not exactly breaking the bank. You want overpaid? Look at La'el Collins. Him, Crawford and Hurns alone could free up some nice space for 2020.