5 year deals

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Those are fine because outside of the 5th year option, they are relatively cheaper contracts. I'm talking specifically more about resigning players after their rookie contracts expire.
You can easily do that at any time, any team, the reason why peeps get so upset is because they want to go all in, Jerry really wet the bed when he said that.
It was the worst thing he could have said, but it got everyone's attention and Jerry likes that, and actually this is the best-off season I have seen in quite some time.
May not be appealing to those that enjoy shopping, but there is a time and place to be ultra conservative, and 2014 is definitely the time.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The one player FORCED them into giving him a shorter deal
To players and owners NFL football is a business. It’s a form of entertainment for fans. Players and owners have a vastly different perception of their team than fans do. Dak didn’t force Jerry Jones to do anything. If his agent out negotiated Jerry Jones that’s Jerry Jones’ fault. Get better at it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
To players and owners NFL football is a business. It’s a form of entertainment for fans. Players and owners have a vastly different perception of their team than fans do. Dak didn’t force Jerry Jones to do anything. If his agent out negotiated Jerry Jones that’s Jerry Jones’ fault. Get better at it.
I agree, it's their job to get their client the best deal, as fans we love it when the player has actually done well to get the contract, but when said player has a down year or whatever, it's WHY did we give that player that ridiculous contract

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This team needs to get the salary cap and more importantly our contracts under control. We seem to just be absolutely in love with 5 year deals and I'd like to see us implement more 3 year deals. The league seems to be changing in this direction; meanwhile, more 5 year deals seem likely on the table with Lamb / Parsons.
The Saints had by far the most money over the cap at the end of the league year and have been more active than us

It's a choice by the front office to not be active

We could extend Dak, CeeDee and Micah today and be fine

But they'd rather not over pay now and play hard ball

However that almost always results in the team paying more in the future

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One reason 5 year deals are appealing to a front office - 5 years allows the team to have more flexibility with the cap. Sometimes a 3 year deal is good - sometimes a 5 yr deal is good.
For bonafide top players at their position in the start of their prime years, like Parsons and Lamb, I’m fine with 5 year deals. You’re generally getting a better deal because they don’t get back to market as quickly as they do on a 3 year.

You’ve also mentioned the cap flexibility which is spot on.

Got to be very particular about who you’re handing those out to though.

Havic

Reaction score
The Saints had by far the most money over the cap at the end of the league year and have been more active than us

It's a choice by the front office to not be active

We could extend Dak, CeeDee and Micah today and be fine

But they'd rather not over pay now and play hard ball

However that almost always results in the team paying more in the future

Frustrating. I’d much rather trade these guys for picks as opposed to going this route. Unnecessary drama

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Frustrating. I’d much rather trade these guys for picks as opposed to going this route. Unnecessary drama
I agree it’s a horrible strategy. I’m more on the side of pay this guys now before other players raise the market for them, but anything is better than this wait them out strategy