50 million reasons why Dak does not have to cave on his salary demands

RonnieT24

Reaction score
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/dak-prescott-endorsements-cowboys-contract

I think this article is actually from the beginning of last season but it blew me away to learn that Dak is making that much money off the field. My Lord!!!! The flipside is that he's not making that kind of endorsement scratch with any other team. But I thought his number was in the 10-12 million range. I had no idea he was raking it in like this. The devil's advocate in me also believes that if you're getting that kind of money off the field then you don't need to be crippling the team against the cap on it. Take a team friendly deal so you can keep being in the playoffs, keep being in the spotlight and keep making that endorsement money. Nobody wants a pitchman from a guy who leads a 6-10 team every year.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He would make the $$ anywhere else because hes a baller. If that were my son or friend and i had his ear i would tell him to give the jones' the finger and play elsewhere

EST_1986

Reaction score
He would make the $$ anywhere else because hes a baller. If that were my son or friend and i had his ear i would tell him to give the jones' the finger and play elsewhere
well I'm a Cowboys fan so I wouldn't advise my son or friend to leave but for sure would advise on giving the Jones family the finger and get paid.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I go back to 2016 up until his extension. He and Elliott were both on rookie deals. Now he's supposed to take one for the team when the front office obviously has no idea how to build a properly balanced team? I don't know about that logic. This ankle injury is a perfect example of why athletes should get as much as they can. In the cap era, your career can be cut short at any second. Except for guaranteed contract money, that can also be taken away and a player can just be cut.

We need to get rid of the real problem here. The GM.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I go back to 2016 up until his extension. He and Elliott were both on rookie deals. Now he's supposed to take one for the team when the front office obviously has no idea how to build a properly balanced team? I don't know about that logic. This ankle injury is a perfect example of why athletes should get as much as they can. In the cap era, your career can be cut short at any second. Except for guaranteed contract money, that can also be taken away and a player can just be cut.

We need to get rid of the real problem here. The GM.

With as much leverage as Dak has he could include a "you must draft defense with the first pick in the next two drafts" clause in his contract. And Dak doesn't necessarily have to "take one for the team" to take a team friendly deal. He could sign a 5 year 200 million dollar deal and structure it so that the cap hit is minimized (< 20 million) the next two years and he would still get a 75-80 million dollar signing bonus and get about 120+ million guaranteed. Yes his cap hit would jump to the 50 million range in 2023 but isn't that the year of the new TV deal when the cap is projected to jump 30-40%? There are ways to get this thing done such that it benefits both sides.

cern

Reaction score
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/dak-prescott-endorsements-cowboys-contract

I think this article is actually from the beginning of last season but it blew me away to learn that Dak is making that much money off the field. My Lord!!!! The flipside is that he's not making that kind of endorsement scratch with any other team. But I thought his number was in the 10-12 million range. I had no idea he was raking it in like this. The devil's advocate in me also believes that if you're getting that kind of money off the field then you don't need to be crippling the team against the cap on it. Take a team friendly deal so you can keep being in the playoffs, keep being in the spotlight and keep making that endorsement money. Nobody wants a pitchman from a guy who leads a 6-10 team every year.
it's not quite that easy, ronnie. a large part of the supposed 50 million is tied up by the purchase of loss of value and liability insurance policies. more than likely costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. and they're not the easiest policies to collect in the advent of injury. if it's loss of value, dak could claim it was because of the injury. and the ins. company could just as easily say it's due to the cowboys record when you got injured and the record the previous year. insurance companies don't like to pay up and are very skillful at delaying things for a long time.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
it's not quite that easy, ronnie. a large part of the supposed 50 million is tied up by the purchase of loss of value and liability insurance policies. more than likely costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. and they're not the easiest policies to collect in the advent of injury. if it's loss of value, dak could claim it was because of the injury. and the ins. company could just as easily say it's due to the cowboys record when you got injured and the record the previous year. insurance companies don't like to pay up and are very skillful at delaying things for a long time.

That's an interesting take. But I suspect that as good as the insurance company's lawyers are, Dak can afford decent lawyers too. Either way, the only way Dak really loses is if he can't play again. The minute he signs, no matter who it's with he's going to collect a bonus check of over 50 million bucks. And it might be closer to 80 if things keep going they way they have been. I don't think he and his camp are particularly focused on the insurance angle since every indication is that he will be suited up and playing next fall. But say for the sake of argument, he suffers a setback with the ankle and never plays again.. That would seem a pretty strong case for collecting on the insurance policy. But I'm certainly no expert on actuarial matters.

cern

Reaction score
That's an interesting take. But I suspect that as good as the insurance company's lawyers are, Dak can afford decent lawyers too. Either way, the only way Dak really loses is if he can't play again. The minute he signs, no matter who it's with he's going to collect a bonus check of over 50 million bucks. And it might be closer to 80 if things keep going they way they have been. I don't think he and his camp are particularly focused on the insurance angle since every indication is that he will be suited up and playing next fall. But say for the sake of argument, he suffers a setback with the ankle and never plays again.. That would seem a pretty strong case for collecting on the insurance policy. But I'm certainly no expert on actuarial matters.
if he can't play again, the liability policy would be easier to claim than loss of value. personally, i think he wants to play. but renegotiations will remain problematic.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
With as much leverage as Dak has he could include a "you must draft defense with the first pick in the next two drafts" clause in his contract. And Dak doesn't necessarily have to "take one for the team" to take a team friendly deal. He could sign a 5 year 200 million dollar deal and structure it so that the cap hit is minimized (< 20 million) the next two years and he would still get a 75-80 million dollar signing bonus and get about 120+ million guaranteed. Yes his cap hit would jump to the 50 million range in 2023 but isn't that the year of the new TV deal when the cap is projected to jump 30-40%? There are ways to get this thing done such that it benefits both sides.
If I was a player or him, I wouldn't agree to a contract that was more than 4 years. He's already been tagged. Less years gives him an opportunity for another extension in the future. Whatever he's making off the field shouldn't change what he makes on it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If I were in Dak's (or any top NFL quarterback) shoes, I am pretty sure I'd also "shoot for the moon" in salary demands.
But maybe not. Personally, if I was raking in tens of millions of dollars a year for doing nothing more than making commercials, etc. I'd not worry at all about my NFL salary, as long as I got a decent offer. My main concern would be other guys on the team and other NFL players, if I play too cheap it'd be too easy for Jerry to tell someone like LVE or Lamb that they should take a small salary because "Dak did it, you know".

That of course depends on what you want to accomplish in the NFL. With Brady's SIX Super Bowl rings, Montana and Bradshaw's four, and especially Aikman's three, I would not want to be another Danny White, a "pretty good" Dallas quarterback, who got money but no rings. My focus would be on winning titles, and if that took my taking a relatively low salary to do it, so be it. (And as far as not doing so because Jerry doesn't know how to build a team around him so I need to get money at least, that's an unknown, despite the history of the last 25 years, it's still an uncertainty). One day you'll be dead, and nobody will care how much money you made, when they talk about you, being able to say you won SBs is far better than saying you made a lot of money.

Fame lasts longer than a good time with your money...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
looks to me like 50 million reasons why the team should be looking at QBs in the upcoming draft.