50th anniversary of The Exorcist

Hardline

Reaction score
I haven't seen this movie in over 20 years. I remember it being a very disturbing movie.
I'm sure most of you have seen it.
Hard to believe it's been 50 dang years.

78c48c1ea8724436a2c49098b06c4f01.jpg

The+Exorcist+21.jpg

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
W84eFyl.png

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium Winner
William Peter Blatty

Best Sound Winner
Robert Knudson, Christopher Newman

Best Picture Nominee
William Peter Blatty

Best Actress in a Leading Role Nominee
Ellen Burstyn

Best Actor in a Supporting Role Nominee
Jason Miller

Best Actress in a Supporting Role Nominee
Linda Blair

Best Director Nominee
William Friedkin

Best Cinematography Nominee
Owen Roizman

Best Art Direction/Set Decoration Nominee
Bill Malley, Jerry Wunderlich

Best Film Editing Nominee
Jordan Leondopoulos, Bud S. Smith, Evan A. Lottman, Norman Gay

quickccc

Reaction score
Even after 50 years, The Exorcist (1973) still remains the horror movie to which all other horror movies, past, present
and future, will be compared to and measured by.

It has a sheer, extraordinarily unique dark macabre, controversial subject matter, and graphic imagery that other
horror movies could not, have simply not been able to touch and surpass. It possessed unique gore graphic scenes
Pea soup spit, head spin, Regan's dark room, and even some deleted scenes that would have surely added to the
film even more. There remains a documentary that displayed the public effect and impact it had on move goers.

It had an effect on the public viewers personal religious belief And what other movie could surpass
the mass hype and hysteria that it generated during it's time era, into today's time area has been as
phenomenal a horror film as there have ever been in existence.

I've seen hype stories from such horror classics such as Dawn of the Dead, the Shining, The Omen,
Amityville Horror, and even now with James Han's the Conjuring.

But still William Friedkin's 1973 classic still remains supreme above all.
In many and most polls, it is still considered and ranked as the Scariest Horror movie of All Time

First horror movie ever to be nominated for Best Movie Picture.
It simply remains in a class and league of it's own.

538cbdaab20a35f3fc519b6fc347bb6f.jpg

1e93342853d3ce539cec7b8e17cd8358.jpg

6b391ea5074957b132390b872813617e.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
BTW, there's gonna be a new Exorcist movie due very soon.
But the trailers already look so lame, it doesn't even look scary and creepy.

It looks like yet another ripoff of the Exorcist's name and reputation.

efd1760ca99b94301fdedd5458a06dcd.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
Such a great movie, all time classic. It's such a high bar and can never approach the impact it had, but I hope the new one does it justice. I'm looking forward to it.
One would think that with today's era of advanced age of A.I. and CGI graphic imagery and special effects
ditto with specialize cosmetic makeup, and some directors and screen play writers have had decades to study
upon what made the Exorcist so extraordinarily unique that it could be challenged for No.1.

But perhaps the Exorcist is far much more than special effects and makeup element.
There's such a dark macabre and creepiness about it so many of it cannot touch or compare.
Then there's the character Regan, the creepy dark room, dark corners she dwelled in.
The screen play write, the way it was directed,... etc.

The only film I think has similar a dark macabre and creepiness is James Han's " the Conjuring "
and it had some impressive startling " jump scare scenes " but
even the Conjuring as a overall whole movie does not compare shoulder to shoulder to the 1973 classic.
just imho.

9480cae9b6a27e7bf010db7429434b70.jpg

f1497e042dc2e6b50324accb700361e4.jpg

74cb7fd0942db1d9a3701e66219f463a.jpg

StarGazer1

Reaction score
I saw the Exorcist at a drive-in theater when it came out. I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to see. Also, The Shining book is much better than the movie.

quickccc

Reaction score
I saw the Exorcist at a drive-in theater when it came out. I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to see. Also, The Shining book is much better than the movie.
Interesting.

Doesn't it seem like most great books and novels are always better than the movie itself ?
Much more descriptive details to go further into ?

Are movies limited to how much time, investment, budget and details they can put it to it's featured films?

quickccc

Reaction score
Well, now I have that tubular bells song stuck in my head. Thanks for nothing.
Oh Yes , ..as classic a movie theme tune as any other movie film in Hollywood that I can ever recall..
I cannot think or recall any other one that is just as famous or popular.

Didn't Exorcist actually win an Oscar for this music score and mixing ?

StarGazer1

Reaction score
Interesting.

Doesn't it seem like most great books and novels are always better than the movie itself ?

Are movies limited to how much time, investment, budget and details they can put it to it's featured films?
You're right, the books always have more details. Sometimes the movie producers/directors seem to want to put their spin on things.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Oh Yes , ..as classic a movie theme tune as any other movie film in Hollywood that I can ever recall..
I cannot think or recall any other one that is just as famous or popular.

Didn't Exorcist actually win an Oscar for this music score and mixing ?
I can think of four without even trying, "Jaws", admit it any time you get into the ocean you hear that song in your head....lol
"Casablanca" the song 'As time Goes By' play it again Sam, even if Bogey never said that....lol
"Star Wars" that song starts and you become a kid all over again
"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" the Ice Cream/Snowcone/Raspa truck that came through our neighborhood growing up, didn't play the usual circus music, they played that theme song which explains my weird urge for a Rainbow Bullet Snowcone whenever I watch the movie.....lol

quickccc

Reaction score
I can think of four without even trying, "Jaws", admit it any time you get into the ocean you hear that song in your head....lol
"Casablanca" the song 'As time Goes By' play it again Sam, even if Bogey never said that....lol
"Star Wars" that song starts and you become a kid all over again
"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" the Ice Cream/Snowcone/Raspa truck that came through our neighborhood growing up, didn't play the usual circus music, they played that theme song which explains my weird urge for a Rainbow Bullet Snowcone whenever I watch the movie.....lol

Yep, .. I'll give you " The Good, the Bad ,and the Ugly " music theme. It's my phone ring and somehow I still forgot
about that theme. I can see it being considered an even bigger, popular them than the Exorcist.

Ditto with " Jaws ",.. aka the " Kenneth Gant " theme.

I could even see how " Rocky " could be considered ahead of Exorcist - I dunno how I could've forgotten it.

With Star Wars, is it the music theme a stand out more because the movie itself is such an extraordinary unique
stand out ?

Sorry, I'm not familar with Casablance theme at all , and just YouTubed to hear for first time ever.. never heard it before and it wouldn't make my list. In fact I would think " Chariots of Fire " would be rated way ahead of this one. :)

Flamma

Reaction score
Interesting.

In almost every case the book is better. In a few cases I've found, the book was great, and the movie sucked.

Here's the main problem, in order to properly do a book of 300-400 pages any justice, you'd need a 10-12 hour mini series. A 2 hour movie just can't cover it. But even that cannot fully cover a novel. In many novels you can read what people are thinking. That can't be replicated in a movie.

Flamma

Reaction score
They were showing ads of the new exorcist movie during some of the NFL games. Did anyone find that a little off putting? Good Lord! Get these creepy little girls off my screen. What if kids were watching? When I was little, I couldn't handle that. I think I was 30 when I finally watched Exorcist. By far the creepiest movie I ever saw.