53 man roster predictions

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wont be surprised if a player or two is added before the season opener in San Diego (ie, kicker) but with whats here now, here's my thoughts:

QB (3) Bledsoe, Henson, Romo
RB (3) J Jones, Barber III, A Thomas
FB (1) Polite
WR (5) Key, Glenn, Morgan, Crayton, Copper
TE (4) Witten, Campbell, Ryan, J Robinson
OL (9) Adams, Allen, Johnson, Rivera, Rogers, Peterman, Gurode, Petitti, Vollers
DL (9) Ellis, Ferguson, Spears, Glover, Canty, Ratliff, Coleman, Ogbogu, Carson
LB (7) Ware, Burnett, Nguyen, James, Fowler, Shanle, Thornton
CB (6) Newman, Henry, Glenn, Frazier, Hunter, N Jones
S R (4) Williams, Davis, Beriault, Reese
K/P (2) free agent in place of Cundiff, McBriar

I really doubt they'll keep 4 RB's and I dont think they'll keep 6 WR's because they never have more than 3 on the field at once...I dont think J Robinson is in danger of being cut now after the reported awful showing of his potential replacements at the mini camps..I could see any of Ogbogu, Carson or Coleman released in favor of someone else, especially if the Van Hoy kid shows enough to warrant staying on the active roster as a true NT prospect...obviously they are still looking at veteran safeties, so Reese or maybe Hunter could end up gone...I dont think there's anyway Cundiff is the opening day kicker this yr...he'll either get beat out by this Visintainer kid or (more likely IMO) they'll sign a proven veteran after the final cutdown...they have to know that Bledsoe isnt capable of throwing 30-40 passes a game and us be competitive, and with the focus being run the ball and play good defense odds are we'll be in alot of close games...Cundiff isnt who I'd want out there with these close games on the line...

David

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Why don't people get off Billy's back he's a good kicker. his only problems have been over the 40yard kicks his kickoffs are fine and only needs to work on his leg strength. He missed 2 40+ kicks last season by a hair and even the top kickers only one adam V didn't miss under 40 which Billy didn't miss any kicks under40.

and no way we get rid of McB

Reaction score
Parcells would never go into a season wih just 9 Offensive Linemen, also carrying 7 Linebackers is a stretch. Although I could see 9 Defensive Linemen, where normally there would be just 8. Also one FB is a bit risky, you'd better hope Ryan (if that's your pick) can also play FB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cannonball44 said:
no way we keep FOUR tight ends...

if Robinson makes the team he'll be listed as a TE...we kept 4 TE's (counting Robinson) on the roster most of last yr by the way

David

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
I just don't see it happening...

Witten does his job, Campbell does his job,

Robinson deep snaps, and plays VERY limited snaps if someone gets injured...

I don't know why Ryan is there...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Why don't people get off Billy's back he's a good kicker. his only problems have been over the 40yard kicks his kickoffs are fine and only needs to work on his leg strength. He missed 2 40+ kicks last season by a hair and even the top kickers only one adam V didn't miss under 40 which Billy didn't miss any kicks under40.

and no way we get rid of McB

I had McBriar on the team....

and if you are going to mention that Cundiff only missed by a hair on a couple of kicks, you better mention that he only MADE several kicks by a hair as well...rarely does he nail fg's right down the middle...most are an adventure with him...

and yeah kickers miss more the further they go out, but he kicks in Texas Stadium 8 games a yr (almost dome like) and still struggles with 40-49 yd kicks...kicking at Texas Stadium should be almost automatic inside 49 yds...

David

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
if Robinson makes the team he'll be listed as a TE...we kept 4 TE's (counting Robinson) on the roster most of last yr by the way

David
:hammer:

Manster68

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
wont be surprised if a player or two is added before the season opener in San Diego (ie, kicker) but with whats here now, here's my thoughts:

FB (1) Polite
OL (9) Adams, Allen, Johnson, Rivera, Rogers, Peterman, Gurode, Petitti, Vollers

Need to find room for Ben Noll.

Also, you think Darian Barnes will ge cut? Not so sure here.

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
FB (1) Polite
WR (6) Key, Glenn, Morgan, Crayton, Copper, Crowder
OL (9) Adams, Allen, Johnson, Rivera, Rogers, Peterman, Petitti, Vollers, Noll
LB (7) Ware, Burnett, Nguyen, James, Fowler, Shanle, K. Thornton
CB (5) Newman, Henry, Glenn, Frazier, Hunter
S R (4) Williams, Davis, Beriault, B. Thornton

I think Crowder will edge out Reese with his special teams play, and improved WR play. And we will keep Bruce Thornton as a reserve FS/CB IF he can recover from his injury. If not then we keep N. Jones and Hunter is the reserve FS. And Gurode still does not get it and is a suprise cut.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
That 53 is pretty much the same one I had in mind, although I'am not sure Eric O makes it. Torrin Tucker and Ben Noll better show something quick in Training Camp. Jamica Rector is a longshot, I don't see him beating out Crayton or Cooper. Watch out for Mike Goolsby at inside linebacker, I think he's this years Shanle.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
FB (1) Polite

I think that's a pretty good list... probably very close to the actual final roster.

A few points though:

Ben Noll. Parcells apparently likes the guy a lot but I'm not sure he'll be able to find a spot for him on the final roster. I think Gurode makes the team because he can play C and G... that will free up another roster spot (only 3 guards on team, not including Gurode), but it will cause a pretty good prospect like Noll to maybe get cut.

Ogbogu. I think he's done here. Not because he doesn't have any value, because he could be used at 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB and we're full there. I think he'll be gone just because we have so many difficult cuts and prospects that we'd like to keep. For instance, if Parcells really likes Tyson Thompson as a returner and reserve tailback, I can't see cutting him and keeping Ogbogu. We already have Ellis, Spears, Ratliff, Canty and Ware who can play 4-3 DE... and we already have Ware and Thornton who can play the rush LB in a 3-4. I think it'll be a numbers game for Ogbogu, who has some value, but is what he is: a decent player who is probably already as good as he'll ever be. I think we keep a prospect with some upside at another position instead of him. Maybe someone like Noll, Thompson, etc.

Bruce Thornton. He seemed to be doing pretty well last year before blowing out his knee. He was a fourth round pick and hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do. He was specifically mentioned as a player who might could make the switch to safety and will probably offer some value as a good special teams player and someone who could play two different positions in a pinch. I think he might just find a way to sneak on the roster and is a versitile player with upside that might displace a player like Ogbogu who's already topped out.

Anyway, that's a few things that jumped to mind.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
I think that's a pretty good list... probably very close to the actual final roster.

A few points though:

Ben Noll. Parcells apparently likes the guy a lot but I'm not sure he'll be able to find a spot for him on the final roster. I think Gurode makes the team because he can play C and G... that will free up another roster spot (only 3 guards on team, not including Gurode), but it will cause a pretty good prospect like Noll to maybe get cut.

Ogbogu. I think he's done here. Not because he doesn't have any value, because he could be used at 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB and we're full there. I think he'll be gone just because we have so many difficult cuts and prospects that we'd like to keep. For instance, if Parcells really likes Tyson Thompson as a returner and reserve tailback, I can't see cutting him and keeping Ogbogu. We already have Ellis, Spears, Ratliff, Canty and Ware who can play 4-3 DE... and we already have Ware and Thornton who can play the rush LB in a 3-4. I think it'll be a numbers game for Ogbogu, who has some value, but is what he is: a decent player who is probably already as good as he'll ever be. I think we keep a prospect with some upside at another position instead of him. Maybe someone like Noll, Thompson, etc.

Bruce Thornton. He seemed to be doing pretty well last year before blowing out his knee. He was a fourth round pick and hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do. He was specifically mentioned as a player who might could make the switch to safety and will probably offer some value as a good special teams player and someone who could play two different positions in a pinch. I think he might just find a way to sneak on the roster and is a versitile player with upside that might displace a player like Ogbogu who's already topped out.

Anyway, that's a few things that jumped to mind.

Yeah that makes sense on Ogbogu. Maybe Noll for Ogbogu? Wouldn't surprise me. Especially since Ware can play DE too.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

FB (1) Polite

I really doubt they'll keep 4 RB's and I dont think they'll keep 6 WR's because they never have more than 3 on the field at once...I dont think J Robinson is in danger of being cut now after the reported awful showing of his potential replacements at the mini camps..I could see any of Ogbogu, Carson or Coleman released in favor of someone else, especially if the Van Hoy kid shows enough to warrant staying on the active roster as a true NT prospect...obviously they are still looking at veteran safeties, so Reese or maybe Hunter could end up gone...I dont think there's anyway Cundiff is the opening day kicker this yr...he'll either get beat out by this Visintainer kid or (more likely IMO) they'll sign a proven veteran after the final cutdown...they have to know that Bledsoe isnt capable of throwing 30-40 passes a game and us be competitive, and with the focus being run the ball and play good defense odds are we'll be in alot of close games...Cundiff isnt who I'd want out there with these close games on the line...

David

This is pretty good.

I think the only way Gurode makes it is because he can play C, too. You might watch out for OL from Syracuse (Tur...??)

I think you are right on with the numbers of each position.

Reaction score
FB (1) Polite
WR (6) Key, Glenn, Morgan, Crayton, Copper, Crowder
TE (3) Witten, Campbell, J Robinson
DL (7) Ellis, Ferguson, Spears, Glover, Canty, Ratliff, Carson
LB (8) Ware, Burnett, Nguyen, James, Oneil, Shanle, Thornton, Ogbogu
CB (8) Newman, Henry, Glenn, Frazier, Hunter, B. Thorton, Reeves
S R (4) Williams, Davis, Scott, Reese
K/P (2) Cundiff, McBriar

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

FB (1) Polite

Good list, David... I agree with almost all of it.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Tucker gone if he doesn't get his act together.

As you mention, I'd like to see Van Hoy make it as a true 34 NT, though practice squad is more likely. Maybe they groom him for a year and plan to release or trade Glover next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crowder make it, with the team keeping 6 WRs and Jacques Reeves playing a swingman CB/S. I like him much more than Parakeet Jones as a cornerback anyway. Also, as Asthma said, I'd keep an eye on Bruce Thornton. Obviously I haven't seen much of him, but think he has more potential than Frazier. Frazier and Hunter might both be gone.