6'5, 220, 4.5 speed and its not Mike Williams

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Larry Brackins Fellas. This guy was the number 1 JUCO receiver and he decided to skip going to College and go straight to the pro's.

This kid is supposed to be an absolute stud and every big College in the Nation wants him and he has decided to just go straight to the league. We could probably get this guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Just thought i'd let you guys know about him.

Let me post some articles that I can find

--------------------------------------------------------

also, remember the name Larry Brackins, a 6-5, 220-pound wide receiver from Pearl River CC in Mississippi... he had 11 catches for 166 yards and two touchdowns in the Junior College National Championship game... and with is 4.5 speed and near 40" vertical has made a large number of NFL teams scramble to find game film and background information on this virtual unknown.
----------------------------------------

Larry Brackins WR 6’5 220 Pearl River(MS) Community College
By: Robert Davis

Larry Brackins is not a well known name not, but come draft time, he may be a hot ticket. He has declared for the draft out of the junior college ranks, but he has dominated at that level. Brackins signed with Troy St. out of high school, but ended up at Feather River(CA) CC and played basketball. He transferred to Pearl River a year later and hauled in 45 catches for 772 yards, and 9 touchdowns. His sophomore season at Pearl River, he led them to a National JuCo title and topped the 1,000 yard mark on the season. He was recruited by elite programs such as Southern Cal, Miami, and Florida St, among others this season.

It’s hard to imagine a better looking wideout than Brackins. He has a great frame, but at the same time possesses very good athletic ability and speed. He can make plays with the ball in his hands or go over the middle and take a hit. What makes Brackins standout though is his ability to adjust to the ball in mid air. He is one of the best in the draft at going up and making a play on the ball with his combination of size, athleticism, and jumping ability.

Playing at the JuCo level clearly raises questions about the talent he was facing. He hasn’t had the ability to showcase his ability against top flight talent on a weekly basis. Brackins lacks experience on the field also. Two years of playing after the high school level, and none of them at the 4 year level, mean he is going to need some coaching to reach his full potential. Brackins could also show more maturity by taking care of business in school, which he has not done. Brackins did not play for Troy St. out of high school because he did not have his diploma at the time, and getting eligible to play at the schools mentioned above looked like a reason why Brackins ended up signing with an agent and entering the draft.

Larry Brackins could be a big riser come draft day, or he could just be a guy who never realizes his potential. It is up to him and the work he shows on the football field. I see a lot of Terrell Owens in Brackins with his all around physical ability on the field. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brackins hear his name called on the first day of the draft when all is said and done, but at the same time, wouldn’t be surprised to see him still on the board in the 5th. The post season circuit of workouts and interviews will determine everything with Brackins.
-------------------------------------------------------

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has great size and a huge frame...Is a tremendous leaper...Very strong...Is an amazing natural athlete...Has decent speed and quickness...Is physical and also a willing blocker...Runs well after the catch...A playmaker who knows how to go up and get the ball...Was very productive at his level...Has a ton of upside and could eventually develop into a star.

Weaknesses: Extremely raw and has a lot to learn...Has only played two years of college football...Was a big fish in a small pond and has not played against anything near top competition...There will be major questions about his learning capabilities since he couldn't get into a four year school...A lot of time will need to be invested in him and he won't pay immediate dividends...Downside is just as great as his upside and any team choosing him early will be taking a major risk.

Notes: The #1 JUCO recruit in the country according to Rivals...Was being recruited by the likes of Florida St., USC and Louisiana State...Developmental prospect with loads of potential but will need a lot of work and coaching...May be able to bulk up and become a dynamic, playmaking tight end...His will be a very interesting situation to watch play out as the Draft nears.

LARRYBRACKINS200.JPG

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
6'5, 220, 4.5 speed

But can he play football?

Sounds like he's got a lot of potential. If he can play special teams he'd be a good pick late in the draft. He can run down kicks while he develops at WR.

Buckeye

Reaction score
I'd like to take him the 2nd round if he's still available. Nice find.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
But can he play football?

Sounds like he's got a lot of potential. If he can play special teams he'd be a good pick late in the draft. He can run down kicks while he develops at WR.
Isn't this the type of player we use those 7th round draft picks on? If we can carry Randal Williams all these years, this kid has a shot!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've seen video of him on rivals because one of my friends has a pass and he was pretty dang amazing.

The kid looks like he has amazing skills and he was the #1 Juco coming out. Kid has tremendous athletic ability and is worth taking a risk on imo.

I wish I could post some reels of this guy so you guys could see him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Isn't this the type of player we use those 7th round draft picks on? If we can carry Randal Williams all these years, this kid has a shot!

This guy will go way before that. 2nd - 4th round.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WAY too big of a gamble for us. I don't want anything to with this type on nonsense.

No way. We have enough holes to fill elswhere anyways.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
He looks good on paper, but I wouldn't take him until the 6th round. He definitely sounds better then Deveron (whatever his last name was).

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
This guy will go way before that. 2nd - 4th round.

How bout a sig bet on that one? I say he goes after the 4th round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He looks good on paper, but I wouldn't take him until the 6th round.

I think it just depends. I think Parcells is going to trade down and get a lot of picks. I think if we trade down and get maybe a extra 4th rounder then we should take him but he will most likely be gone by then.

I could see Atlanta taking him.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
I think it just depends. I think Parcells is going to trade down and get a lot of picks. I think if we trade down and get maybe a extra 4th rounder then we should take him but he will most likely be gone by then.

I could see Atlanta taking him.

Don't we have a supplemantal pick or two coming to us for Edwards and Ekuban?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
There's a reaon Brackins didn't end up at Troy St. There's also a reason he didn't transfer from Juco to a real school. I heard Brackins is so dumb that AB called him dumb.

Another issue I have is if you're going to play against 9th tier competition at least dominate. 45 catches and 9 TD's is not even close to dominating to me. Vincent Jackson: 2003 21 TD's, 2004 11 TD's at Northern Colorado. That's more like it.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Don't we have a supplemantal pick or two coming to us for Edwards and Ekuban?
yes we do Thank u for reminding me, we get a Dozen donuts from Krispy Creme for Edwards and a 12 packs of Pabst beer for Ekubust.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
There's a reaon Brackins didn't end up at Troy St. There's also a reason he didn't transfer from Juco to a real school. I heard Brackins is so dumb that AB called him dumb.

Another issue I have is if you're going to play against 9th tier competition at least dominate. 45 catches and 9 TD's is not even close to dominating to me. Vincent Jackson: 2003 21 TD's, 2004 11 TD's at Northern Colorado. That's more like it.

Well I'd like to know who the QB was and what type of offense his team runs. Might have something to do with his numbers being low. That said his measurables are good and his JUCO rank is as good as it can get. He'd be a good pick in round 4. But a 2nd? This team needs immediate starters and he won't be that with his inexperience.

BadKarma

Reaction score
He sounds more of a project than a sure thing. He's got the physical attributes but with his lack of major college competition, he's not going to be able to contribute as receiver for some time. Probably more of a ST player at this point. If we're going to go WR, let's get someone who in all likelihood will be able to compete for the starting job now - like Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.

We need to draft guys that will have significant impact now, especially on defense. I'd consider him a second day pick, maybe in the 5th or 6th - definitely but not earlier.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Rack said:
He looks good on paper, but I wouldn't take him until the 6th round. He definitely sounds better then Deveron (whatever his last name was).

Deveron(sp) Johnson. Thats exactly what I was thinking. We already drafted (essentially) this guy a few years ago.
Of course, knowing the 'boy's luck this guy will turn out to be the real deal for someone else...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Deveron(sp) Johnson. Thats exactly what I was thinking. We already drafted (essentially) this guy a few years ago.
Of course, knowing the 'boy's luck this guy will turn out to be the real deal for someone else...

No we didn't Johnson was never thought of by anyone to be good. This kid could go play anywhere he wanted to in the nation in College. Dev Johnson couldnt because he sucked. Brackins definetely does not suck. Other than RB, WR has to be one of the easiest positions to go to in the NFL.

It also doesn't take experience to run downfield and out jump a corner for a football and he can do that right now much like Burris did in his first couple of seasons.

This kid is highly touted, 5 star recruit, and could go play for anybody because everyone wants him.

If I were him i'd go ahead and go to USC and end up being a 1st round pick but thats the choice he has made.

But this guy and Dev Johnson should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It'll take him three years before he's up to speed in the NFL, if he can even cut it.

For us, 4th rounder tops.