7 round mock

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
2nd round- S Juan Thornhill- Virginia(6-0 210lbs)
3rd round- QB Brett Rypien- Boise State(6-2 205)
4th round- TE Matt Sokol- Michigan State(6-5 260)
4th round Comp- 3tech Marquise Copeland- Cincinnati(6-2 287)
5th round- OT Jackson Barton- Utah(6-6 313)
6th round- K John Barron ll- San Diego state(5-10 190)
6th round Comp- OLB Dante Booker- Ohio State(6-2 235)
7th round- WR/Slot Andy Isabella- UMass(5-10 190)

in this scenario Earl Thomas retires after his latest leg surgery Woods(FS) and Thornhill(SS) start with Heath(SS) and Thompson(FS) as backups at Safety.
Dak isn't the answer.... so the Cowboys start White for first 6 games and tryout Rypien as starter after that, letting Ryp learn the offense a bit. They do this to see it they can hit on a QB while also tanking for a QB for 2020 draft if it doesn't work.
They keep 4 TE on the roster and cut Rico
Irving is gone so Copeland and Collins run 3 tech with Crawford being the utility line replacement guy for all positions up front
they resign Fleming at swing for 1 more year and let Barton learn and get stronger to eventually take that role in a year or if he over does it get a starting spot in a few years
Barron wins starting kicker job in the off-season camps
Booker learns defense for depth at Strong Side Linebacker and fills in on special teams duty
The team lets Beasley walk in FA and Isabella and Wilson fight for starting slot receiver, Williams is also cut along with Lenoir. Cooper, Gallup, Wilson, Isabella, Hurns, and Brown make the rotation.

Hardline

Reaction score
It's cute you factored in the QB position even though there's not a snowballs chance in hell that will happen.
I don't want to wait until the 4th round to address the TE position. That most likely only gets you what we already have now.
There will be some outstanding TEs on the board at three and depending on who's left on the board at 2 I would pull the trigger on one there.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Interesting take although I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. Every year we have turnover of seems to be at least ten guys either through the draft, undrafted and free agency. So my take is two folded, taking the best player available in rounds 2 and 3 and seeing who might fall in any round. Second would be where and what do the coaches see as areas of upgrade.

Many want a new TE although based on the improvement of Schultz, Gathers and with Swaim probably coming back, just don't see a TE drafted by Dallas unless one of the top guys fall to round 3. Schultz has become a good blocker and pass catcher. Jarwin is a pass catcher who will also be a free agent so don't see him coming back. Gathers is getting more snaps as a potential target and a good blocker. Swaim is both a good blocker and good pass catcher. Everyone is looking for the next Witten but appears coaches like what we have.

Have to see where we need help the most. Right now it appears with all the injuries that the OL is the spot needed most, but is it. It appears Frederick will be back to full strength next year and Martin will undoubtedly undergo some type of surgery on him MCL but should be back to full strength. Williams will be much stronger after an off season. Fleming should be resigned as the backup OT. Smith's back is troublesome and definitely could see us draft a OT early as insurance. Most forget that we have Parker Ehinger and Marcus Martin on IR and along with Looney and Filo give us excellent depth at OC and OG. Will be draft an OT, believe we will early on.

There is also the QB question and lots of speculation be it hate or whatever. Facts are facts, stats are stats, and Dak will be the QB in 2019. Beyond that is anyone's speculation unless we sign him to some big time contract although I don't believe that will be the case. Will Rush or White be factors, maybe. What most likely will happen first and foremost is a change at the OC and QB coach area. Have to believe Jerry is going to insist on it after the year. We might draft a QB but sure wouldn't look for it before the 5th round.

As to the other areas on offense, RB is just fine although we probably look for a change of pace guy and resign Rod Smith. Thinking it is more of a free agency fix than draft. At WR, with Cooper, Gallup, Brown and Wilson coming back from IR, it looks pretty good. Not sure Beasley will be resigned for various reasons so could see us looking for a slot guy unless Lenoir sticks. Would be surprised to see Austin come back or Hurns for that matter.

On defense, we do have the making of a dominant group. I was worried about DT but Collins has been good along with Crawford and Woods was one of those great finds. I do suspect with the draft being deep on the D line that we make a couple of picks there. Based on what we are hearing about Taco, wouldn't be surprised to see him traded sometime during the draft as Armstrong looks like a better player overall. I know some are counting on Irving being around, I just look at wasted talent at this point until otherwise proven.

Linebacker is pretty much set although I suspect we lose Wilson in free agency. We will most likely draft a guy late at LB. Many want to see changes at FS or S as a whole starting with Earl Thomas. Unless Thomas comes at a discounted price due to the foot injury, sort of doubt he will be a Cowboy. I could see us drafting a FS although it will be difficult to get value drafting around the 25 spot as projected in the second round. Have to wonder if Landon Collins isn't on the Cowboy radar in free agency with the Alabama connection with Saban and appartently Giants not going to offer a big contract. Something to watch although he is a true SS.

So here in December, my guess is that in free agency we sign Collins at SS as the big signing, resign Lawrence at DE and Cooper at WR and maybe a couple of others. As to the draft, I definitely see us making some noise possibly with the trading of a guy like Charlton to move up a few spots maybe in the second and/or third.
2nd round: David Edwards OT Wisconsin - could him late 2nd round and possible Smith replacement in couple of years
3rd round: Taylor Rapp FS Washington - probably have to move up some to top of 3rd to get him but worth it
4th round: Renell Wren DT/DE Arizona St. - fits the defense with his versatility, great size, quick first step (if we get a high comp (3rd) then we take him
5th round: Riley Ridley WR Georgia - can play slot, outside and screens, WR are going to fall in this draft and he would be a nice pickup in the 5th
6th round: Kalil Hodges OLB/ILB/ST Buffalo - lots of potential upside, great tackler
7th round: Kyle Kempt QB Iowa St. - I am a proponent of drafting a QB every year, kid has high upside, quick release, sees and processes the field great, can make all throws but needs time to translate to NFL

UDFA: John Baron II K San Diego St - betting we sign two or three to compete with Mahler

Just my Christmas thoughts and hoping the board and fans have a great Christmas.