'76 Oakland Raiders Voted Greatest NFL Team Of All-Time

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think the 85 Bears are the best SB team ever, but they aren't as one sided as one might think. They had a very strong running attack finishing first in rushing attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns that season. They were not a prolific passing attack, but they were somewhat efficient in that area. The strong defense and rushing attack took a lot of pressure off of the passing game.

This is true and McMahon played at BYU, which was a crazy pass happy team in those years. McMahon set like over 30 NCAA records while at BYU. So Sweetness, as you mentioned but also Willie Gault and a really, really good OL with Covert, Bortz, Hilgenberg, Thayer and Van Horne. They were not exactly weak little sisters on that side of the ball. That's true Josee.

EGTuna

Reaction score
The Steelers team that beat the Cowboys in SB 10 was better than the Raiders that won the following year. Stallworth, Swan, Harris and Bradshaw in their primes plus a defense every bit as good and scary as the Raiders.

The 49ers that won SB 24 55-10 over Denver is another contender. Average margin of victory in the playoffs was 33.3. Ridiculous.

Of course the 92 and 93 Cowboys are right there. Particularly the 93 team. They beat 3 Future HOF QBs in their prime en route to the title (Favre, Young, Kelly). How many teams can say that? After week 1, they gave up >20 pts just 2x; once in an inexplicable loss to ATL, and the other in NFCCG when they were already ahead 38-14 and the Niners got a garbage TD run from Young. Oh yeah, their offense was pretty great with unstoppable balance between run and pass and a QB who did WIT to win, even if that meant taking a back-seat at times to a dominant running game.

The Pats have the best dynasty and coach/qb combo, but none of their teams are in contention for best all time. They never capped a season with a blow-out SB win, they often faced the likes of Mark Sanchez (who they lost to) or other such drek from Houston in the divisional round, and blew their one chance at being a best all time by letting Eli Manning make winning plays. 'Nuff said.

The 85 Bears are in contention, but that team was all defense, and won a SB in a year where the Niners were in a transition year, the Skins were in a down year, and the Giants were a year away from being what Parcells envisioned. And the AFC was utter garbage (as it was for most of the 80s).

So give me the 93 Cowboys with the 89 Niners as runner up.

cowboyec

Reaction score
:starspin:'77 COWBOYS:starspin:
BEST COACH.
BEST QB.
GREAT DEFENSE.
GREAT WEAPONS.
MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE TEAM.
:thumbup::flagwave::flagwave::thumbup:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
As a best of all time team, you're looking at voting between 92-93 Cowboys, 70's Steeler, or 80's 49ers. And if you want to go further back, 60's Packers, 30's Packers, 40's Bears, 50's Browns.

IMO, our 90's super bowl teams would've squushed the 85 Bears.
yeah I agree, those cowboy teams might do a job on 76 oakland team too,
But you really should not compare teams from different era's. So to me there is no all time best team.
The ones who were the best that year, or that era proved it, and we know who they are, pretty simple.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the '77 Cowboys were every bit as good as the '76 Raiders. And we can compare those two teams.

rags

Reaction score
What about the 1972 Dolphins. Weren't they the only NFL team to go unbeaten? Where do they fit?

Flamma

Reaction score
What about the 1972 Dolphins. Weren't they the only NFL team to go unbeaten? Where do they fit?

Good question. I totally forgot about them.

IMO the '72 Dolphins had the best season of any team. And if you're not going to compare the actual teams to eachother, then yeah, the '72 Dolphins should probably be #1. But like someone else said, you really can't compare teams from different eras. That '92 Cowboys team would have pushed that '72 Dolphins team up and down the field all game long. Their QB would have had about .05 seconds to throw and Dallas would probably have won 63-0. But if you're going to compare different eras then I don't see how the '72 Dolphins aren't #1.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboy's early 90's teams were absolute monsters. We were already very good, but once Charles Hayley arrived, no one stood a chance. The 70's teams did not play by the same rules though, and the Raiders were known as the meanest, unruliest bunch of misfits ever gathered on one team.
And Erik Williams was known as one of the meanest OL's of all time!!!

Honestly, that 90's team would squushed their meanness into nothing. That OL laughed at mean players and knocked their hoohoos in the dirt.

kskboys

Reaction score
Good question. I totally forgot about them.

IMO the '72 Dolphins had the best season of any team. And if you're not going to compare the actual teams to eachother, then yeah, the '72 Dolphins should probably be #1. But like someone else said, you really can't compare teams from different eras. That '92 Cowboys team would have pushed that '72 Dolphins team up and down the field all game long. Their QB would have had about .05 seconds to throw and Dallas would probably have won 63-0. But if you're going to compare different eras then I don't see how the '72 Dolphins aren't #1.
Yeah, you'd have to make major adjustments to truly compare different eras. The only real test is how a team fared against teams from their era.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is true and McMahon played at BYU, which was a crazy pass happy team in those years. McMahon set like over 30 NCAA records while at BYU. So Sweetness, as you mentioned but also Willie Gault and a really, really good OL with Covert, Bortz, Hilgenberg, Thayer and Van Horne. They were not exactly weak little sisters on that side of the ball. That's true Josee.
They were most definitely one of the top all time teams. I prolly have them around 5th or so.