8-30 Mock draft from Sports Illustrated

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
link: https://www.si.com/college-football...tm_campaign=si-extra&utm_content=2017083011AM

Cowboys pick:

27. Dallas Cowboys: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
The guard position doesn’t tend to see much Round 1 love. When an elite talent comes around, though, teams pay attention. The Cowboys know this better than anyone—their ’14 Zack Martin pick was an absolute home run. Setting Nelson’s bar near the Martin level is an unfair ask, but it may not be an unrealistic one.

quenton-nelson-twitter.jpg

Bad news, is this means my guy Jonathan Cooper didn't work out, and yet another valuable asset used on the O Line.

Good news, is this kid is a bigger, almost as mean version of Zack Martin. I would be thrilled with this pick.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
link: https://www.si.com/college-football...tm_campaign=si-extra&utm_content=2017083011AM

Cowboys pick:

27. Dallas Cowboys: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
The guard position doesn’t tend to see much Round 1 love. When an elite talent comes around, though, teams pay attention. The Cowboys know this better than anyone—their ’14 Zack Martin pick was an absolute home run. Setting Nelson’s bar near the Martin level is an unfair ask, but it may not be an unrealistic one.

quenton-nelson-twitter.jpg

Bad news, is this means my guy Jonathan Cooper didn't work out, and yet another valuable asset used on the O Line.

Good news, is this kid is a bigger, almost as mean version of Zack Martin. I would be thrilled with this pick.

Better news, picking this kid would mean they think Collins has been successful as a right tackle.

Sydla

Reaction score
Would have no problem with that pick. There are also a guy there that I love - Derrick Nnadi. But we know Rod M doesn't like the idea of using top picks on DTs.

But Nnadi next to Collins would be a ridiculous duo inside IMO.

Hurst, taken right before us, is another name I like but he's a tweener. Only listed around 280 so is he a DT or a big DE?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Why do we have to have an all star oline? There will be a good DE available in the late first. Why not get Taco a partner?

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I'd be fine with it. I'd also love Martez Ivie--OG, Florida--in the 2nd or 3rd.

RS12

Reaction score
Love the player and the pick, but only way it happens is if there is a major regression in O Line play year. IE: run game stalls and constant pressure up the gut.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Assuming, and I know this is a big assumption here, but assuming Chaz Green doesn't stay healthy for, I don't know, 13 games or so, I'd likely draft a guard and a tackle with two of my first 3 picks.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
People who beat the best player available drum. It's always more complicated than that. If you have two similarly ranked players, with one mildly lower ranked on the board, but at a position of need. You would take the position of need. We certainly wouldn't take the best player available if they were a center or running back if the next defensive end or corner were only slightly lower.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Meh, I could be talked into a TE or WR if the value lines up but other than that we need to continue to add talent to the defense.

DT
SS
RE
CB

That order for me.