…and then there were 11

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee (sickeningly ironic, ain’t it?) appointed 48 players to the 1970’s NFL All-Decade Team. Two more from that unique group of players, Charlie Sanders and Roger Wehrli, were finally enshrined yesterday. Only 11 remain…

Louis Wright, Broncos. Jim Bakken, Cardinals. Dick Anderson, Dolphins. Garo Yepremian, Dolphins. Harold Carmichael, Eagles. Ray Guy, Raiders. Ken Stabler, Raiders. L.C. Greenwood, Steelers.

And

Cliff Harris. Harvey Martin. And Drew Pearson.

Congratulations to Michael Irvin. He belongs in the Hall along with every other Dallas player who have already been voted in, but enough is enough. It’s time for the Selection Committee to pay homage to the men they have already paid recognition to. That would remedy one injustice which still haunts the great Cowboys teams of the past.

The other injustice which should (immediately) be corrected are the omissions of Cowboys which the Selection Committee members have completely ignored. Like John Niland. Or Chuck Howley. Or Lee Roy Jordan. Etc., etc. Of course, some local guys like Jerry Jones should get on board too and correct a glaring void in the Ring of Honor by cementing Pearson in it. That would help the cause, imo. :rolleyes:

It’s time. Long past time.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Why isn't Pearson in the Ring of Fame? I was shocked to see that he isn't.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Bob Hayes should be the next Cowboy inducted in Canton, it is near criminal that he isn't there already.

calico

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1356872 said:

I don't know...all I can think of is that he and Jerry Jones do not get along because of some past business dealings.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way 'nuff;1356872 said:
I believe that a business relationship/deal between Jones and Pearson soured, but I could care less if there are personal reasons behind Pearson's omission. A great receiver for the Cowboys is being denied his place in the Ring of Honor and that supercedes any soap opera bs which may have occurred between them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikbach;1356879 said:
Bob Hayes should be the next Cowboy inducted in Canton, it is near criminal that he isn't there already.
Amen.

roy31

Reaction score
I think I heard Pearson patented the " Ring Of Honor " name and he wants a boatload of money for it.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think the new stadium should have two rings.....

The top ring is the HOF ring...listing all the Cowboys players in the HOF....the bottom ring is the ROH.....listing all those great Cowboys who made an IMPACT to the franchise, but were not quite good enough for the HOF..

I think JJ should add 1-2 players to the ROH every year, cause there are several deserving guys.....start with the guys that belong in the HOF, but aren't in. Maybe by putting them in the ROH it will help get them into the HOF. Also, once a player reaches the HOF, they leave the ROH ring and go to the HOF ring.

so basically in the new stadium...

HOF Ring(10) : Landry, Schramm, Staubach, Dorsett, Renfro, Lilly, Aikman, Irvin, Wright, White

ROH Ring(6) : Hayes, Harris, Howley, Jordan, Meredith, Perkins

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see JJ step up and really make a push for some of the former Cowboys who deserve to go into the HOF. He should start by adding a few names to the ROH. That would be a good place to begin. After that I would assemble a committee with their only goal of doing whatever necessary to ensure our former great players are no longer overlooked. All of this is something that should have been started a long long time ago.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Great post DE. The perception of anti-Cowboys bias has nothing to do with Aikman, Irvin, and Emmitt. It is about the exclusion of guys like Howley, Hayes, and Harris.

Ask anyone who played the game in the 70's who the best Safety in the NFL was and they will tell you it was Captain Crash.

How Hayes is not in baffles and angers me. The man forced teams to change the way they played defense. Period.

Those who do not think Howley should be in need to watch the entire replay of Super Bowl V & VI. Not only was he brilliant in V to the point he was the MVP despite being on the losing end of the field, but if you listen to the commentary in VI you will find out that Miami feared him. In both games he made huge plays. It wasn't rare for him. The man was a many times All Pro and Pro Bowl player and an absolutely superior athlete.

There are other guys whose names aren't as glaring as these.

Ralph Neely
Drew Pearson
Harvey Martin
Ed Jones

If any of them played for the Steelers they'd be in. That's what bugs me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1357020 said:
Those who do not think Howley should be in need to watch the entire replay of Super Bowl V & VI. Not only was he brilliant in V to the point he was the MVP despite being on the losing end of the field, but if you listen to the commentary in VI you will find out that Miami feared him. In both games he made huge plays. It wasn't rare for him. The man was a many times All Pro and Pro Bowl player and an absolutely superior athlete.
I like comparing the mini-bios. Let's compare a guy who's in the HoF, Jack Lambert of the ( :puke: ) Steelers, with Howley.

From Lambert's HoF mini-bio: "Second-round draft pick, 1974."
Howley: Seventh overall draft pick, 1958

Lambert: "Prototype middle linebacker - intense, intelligent, fast, quick, durable. . .Noted for vicious tackling, great range, superior pass defense. . "
Howley: "I don’t know that I’ve seen anybody better at linebacker than Howley." - Hall of Fame coach & dynasty master Tom Landry

Lambert: "Two-time NFL Defensive Player of Year. . . All-Pro eight times. . .In nine straight Pro Bowls, 1976-1984"
Howley: Super Bowl V MVP. The NFL started recording tackles and quarterback sacks in 1979, but Howley's numerous yet unrecorded tackle and sack numbers still validate him as one of the great linebackers of his era. Name All-Pro six times. Selected to the Pro Bowl six times.

Lambert: "Six AFC title games, four Super Bowls" (Note: in the prime of his career)
Howley: Four NFC title games, two NFL championship title games, two Super Bowls (Note: in the later half of his career, the mark of a great athlete)

Lambert: "Had 28 interceptions, 17 fumble recoveries. . ."
Howley: 25 interceptions (two for touchdowns) and 17 fumble recoveries (one for a touchdown)

To the HoF selectors, I can only utter: :huh:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DallasEast;1356870 said:
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee (sickeningly ironic, ain’t it?) appointed 48 players to the 1970’s NFL All-Decade Team.

Why are folks so tied into the idea that all-decade = HoF? It doesn't. It is a lesser honor. It doesn't mean you've earned entry into the Hall.

That is a bit like saying that since you graduated college with a B.A. you should automatically receive an M.A. later.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc;1357178 said:
Why are folks so tied into the idea that all-decade = HoF? It doesn't. It is a lesser honor. It doesn't mean you've earned entry into the Hall.
So, in regards to the people who both compile the All-Decade list AND who also vote players into the HoF, they have been wrong 37 times by selecting 37 lesser players from the '70s ADT as enshrinees ? :huh:

abersonc;1357178 said:
That is a bit like saying that since you graduated college with a B.A. you should automatically receive an M.A. later.
If that's the case, the selectors should revoke 37 M.A.'s. Quick.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Just a note on Howley -- and on how silly it is to say "since Player X is on the all-decade team he should be in the HoF" -- Howley is not on the 60's all-decade team. Larry Morris, Tommy Nobis, and Dave Robinson are -- and none of them are in the Hall either. There are a number of defenders on that team who aren't in -- and I think that is a product of the lack of press those guys got paired with poor defensive statistical records. For example, Alex Karras was great player and he's not in. It is a travesty that he's not in. Webster was such a great show. How can the hall continue to ignore that?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DallasEast;1357193 said:
So, in regards to the people who both compile the All-Decade list AND who also vote players into the HoF, they have been wrong 37 times by selecting 37 lesser players from the '70s ADT as enshrinees ? :huh:

Is that your argument? Let me explain more clearly for the impaired.

The all-decade team is a short list. You likely have to be on that list to get in the hall. But being on that list doesn't mean you automatically get in.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc;1357200 said:
Is that your argument? Let me explain more clearly for the impaired.

The all-decade team is a short list. You likely have to be on that list to get in the hall. But being on that list doesn't mean you automatically get in.
Testy, huh?

Quick question. If, by chance in the future, the senior selection committee enshrines the final remaining 11 members on the '70s ADT, what would your argument be then?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I could have sworn Tommy Nobis was in the HOF......wow...if he isnt in that is an outrage. he was the only great player the Falcons had during those years. He was penthouse playing amongst a bunch of outhouse players.

Nobis definitely belongs in the HOF

man there are so many great players sitting there waiting to be put in....what is wrong with these voters.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BUT if you look at the All Decade lists most of them are in the HOF and if not have quite often made it to the short list of the HOF. ONE of the main arguements used for getting players into the HOF is the All Decade Lists.
Dallas did not have a good D untill 1965-1966. THAT is one of the reasons that Howley did not make the ALL 60's team. Look good and hard for any player in the 60's and 70's that had 6 ALL PRO's and is not in the HOF. BACK then, that REALLY meant something- unlike today.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DallasEast;1357207 said:
Testy, huh?

Quick question. If, by chance in the future, the senior selection committee enshrines the final remaining 11 members on the '70s ADT, what would your argument be then?

Pure fantasy. It's a form of a short list. Plain and simple

burmafrd

Reaction score
What needs to be done is have one year set aside to remedy the slights and slurs of the past. Players like Nobis and Bullet and the others from the past that for one reason or another were robbed of their rightful due. Nobis, unfortunately, was playing at the same time as Butkus, Nitchske, Lanier- all MLBs in the true golden era of that position. Huff started it, then came Nitchske, then virtually Butkus, Nobis and Lanier all at the same time. ANd Nobis was the one on a real bad team. Butkus was too, but the bears were decent just before he came in (had won a championship in 63) and being the Bears he got more ink. Nobis was on an expansion team that stank and thus got very little publicity.