9/11 Anniversary

Big_D

Reaction score
OMG. Poor family, what’s sad and crazy is that baby never knew it’s dad and is now in college. I always think of the living/aware who were affected but not so much the unborn or babies who never knew their parents and are borderline adults now. That’s gotta be tough.

She turned 18 in February? and is now off to college. Back then right after 9/11 Oprah did a whole thing on all the pregnant wives. And there were a lot. But just very weird to see someone you know among them. Surreal and very sad! Lot of families torn apart all in the matter of a few hours. Still seems unreal.

quickccc

Reaction score
In memorial of the ones who lost loved ones, those who sacrificed their lives trying to protect victims on 9/11, those who managed to survive
the horrific events of 9/11. and yet who still try to struggle to survive the memory and the actual account of 9/11 day.

In memorial of the US service men in military who fought to oppose the terroristic forces that sought to destroy us on 9/11.

i actually think this should be considered a national memorial holiday especially since this memorial historical events actually occurred
on our very home American country grounds.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched "World Trade Center" last night as I have every 9/11 and that movie does a very good job of setting up how life was just going along like any other Tuesday until the unbelievable happened and what it must have been like for the first responders with that chaos and some not actually aware that the second tower had also been hit.

"United 93" tried to capture what it was like on that flight and I do wonder why no filmmaker has tried to capture what it was like for the people in the towers or maybe they have and can't figure out how to present it.

I also watched "Zero Dark Thirty" immediately after for some completion to the most emotional and horrific day that I can ever recall sharing with so many people. So many emotions at one time and then as the stories would unfold on the effect of folks that had families involved in any aspect of this, my gut would wrench all over again. The rescues of the 20 people in that rubble could only lessen the impact temporarily. I hit the << several times at the end of that movie as I can't watch that cowardly sob get killed enough.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Well said man. I lost a good friend that day. Not in the attack but because of his reaction to it. He didn't care and I've never spoken to him since. My wife was still with her ex at the time and he and his sister were asleep when the attack occurred so she went to wake them up. Neither cared and stayed in bed. She never got over that and still talks about it to this day.

Yikes.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Well said man. I lost a good friend that day. Not in the attack but because of his reaction to it. He didn't care and I've never spoken to him since. My wife was still with her ex at the time and he and his sister were asleep when the attack occurred so she went to wake them up. Neither cared and stayed in bed. She never got over that and still talks about it to this day.

I gotta ask, were they just half asleep and not realizing the magnitude of what was going on?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
She woke them up once the second plane hit and said it was obviously intentional. Maybe they were just out of it but that would have made me jump out of bed.

The whole situation was surreal. I worked for a stock trading company that operated during east coast time. When folks mentioned it at work I just presumed some Cessna crashed into one of the buildings. I remember even laughing with one of my coworkers that suggested it may have been intentional.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
The whole situation was surreal. I worked for a stock trading company that operated during east coast time. When folks mentioned it at work I just presumed some Cessna crashed into one of the buildings. I remember even laughing with one of my coworkers that suggested it may have been intentional.
When I got to work, my co-workers were saying the same thing, and then almost immediately the second plane hit. We just sat there in shock for a few seconds realizing what was happening.

yesfan

Reaction score
I was in grammar school when John Kennedy was assassinated. I do remember it clearly. our Catholic school decided to end classes early and send us home. The nuns were walking the hallways getting all the kids lined up to let us out of school. They were all crying. When I saw mean old Sister Anna crying, I knew something bad happened. Then she told us the president had been shot. When I got home, I walked into the house and my mom was in the kitchen crying. She told me Kennedy died. It was a different time back them. People had more respect for just about everything.

I also remember when Oswald was shot. My uncle and I was sitting in the recreation room watching our little black and white TV. My uncle was the calmest, laid back person I ever knew. He served on submarines in WWII. As we were watching them move Oswald through the basement there was a commotion and a bang. I had no idea what happened but I will never forget my uncle very matter-of-factly remarking, "They shot him".
I remember my 2nd grade teacher crying at her desk. Then sitting with my parents watching tv when Oswald was shot. It’s hard on a child when you see your parents in tears. The 60’s really was a wild ride when you look back at it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Planes full of civilians to crash into Buildings full of civilians. First responders perish.

I still think...
What the ?
To this day.

Big_D

Reaction score
She woke them up once the second plane hit and said it was obviously intentional. Maybe they were just out of it but that would have made me jump out of bed.

I was working 3rd shift at the time and probably didn't fall asleep until a little after 7. My wife woke me up when the first plane hit and I honestly thought it was a terrible dream. I was very out of it. Then my wife had to leave for work and I fell back to sleep. But it definitely didn't seem real. If she was home for the second plane I would've snapped out of it at some point. But exhaustion definitely took over.

rags747

Reaction score
Got engaged at Windows of the World in 89, great night of Nerves, Champaign and food! Had dinner and drinks there many times.

On 9/11 I was working the trading desk for IBM. Monitors through out the room so was seeing everything in real-time. Started calling my banks and funds immediately and was able to redeem approx $750m that am, figured we were going to be needing some working capital. Horrendous day to say the least.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Got engaged at Windows of the World in 89, great night of Nerves, Champaign and food! Had dinner and drinks there many times.

On 9/11 I was working the trading desk for IBM. Monitors through out the room so was seeing everything in real-time. Started calling my banks and funds immediately and was able to redeem approx $750m that am, figured we were going to be needing some working capital. Horrendous day to say the least.

Sorry, did you say you were able to reserve $750M, as in 3/4 of a billion dollars?

rags747

Reaction score
Sorry, did you say you were able to reserve $750M, as in 3/4 of a billion dollars?
No, Redeem as in pull $ out of various investments. Getting actual cash for the following 7-10 days was next to impossible as much of the infrastructure was damaged and banks had no way to get you the cash and yet daily operations for banks and corporates continued on. Very interesting times...