♫ " In the name of Mock.. one more in the name of Mock " ♫

Randy White

Reaction score
NFL first 24 picks Mock as of 1/14/2012

Overall:

1st: Colts = Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
any questions ?

2nd: Rams = Matt Kalil, OT, USC
J.Blackmon was a possibility, but keeping Stafford healty is a bigger priority and now that Fisher is the HC, the passing game is not going to be one.

3rd: Vikings = Justin Blackmon, WR, OKst
The Vikings are going to be in a crossroad with this pick. Morris Claiborne or Justin Blackmon ? Big need for both, but they need to get Ponder some weapons. This might be a spot to move into for RGIII if the Dolphins or Commanders are interested. Side note: with Cam Newton exploding into the scene, the Vikings have an intriguing prospect in Joe Webb, who's just as good an athlete as Newton, and almost as big. Keep an eye out on that situation

4th: Browns = Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
No brainer. Putting aside the fact that he's a terrific prospect and he fills one of their biggest needs, he's going to put butts on that stadium as soon as he takes over. They'd be stupid to pass on him.

5th: Bucs = Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
Terrific player, fills a huge need, they'd be thrilled if he's available at this spot.

6th: Commanders = Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
If they don't move up for RGIII, this is their pick. Shannahan loves CBs ( remember he traded Portis for Champ Bailey ) and DEs. Quick: who starts opposite of Hall ? No, I couldn't think of his name either. Coples could be a pick here also, but Dre's position is harder to find.

7th: Jaguars = Quinton Coples, DE, NC
Both Coples and Kirkpatrick could switch teams come draft day. Jaguars would take the one that the Commanders passes on since they have a need for both.

* 8th: Panthers = Alshon Jeffery, WR, SC
The Panthers will most likely trade out of this spot. They have an incredibly young roster, which makes it hard to target a player to them. The one thing they don't have is a guy who can take some pressure off 32 year old Steve Smith. Jeffery is a big time playmaker, in the Megatron mold, and although things change before the draft and Jeffery might move up some, I'll admit that this is probably too early. Still, he'd be a dangerous guy in this offense with Newton. Julio Jones and A.J. Green's success might also influence this selection.

* 9th: Dolphins = Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
Dolphins biggest need right now is O-line. Carey is likely gone and Murtha is coming back from a pectoral injury. Jake Long's history of injuries is also becoming a problem. Jonathan Martin from Stanford is another option here.

10th: Bills = Melvin Ingram, OLB, SC
Fills their #1 need, even though Andre Branch is probably the better player.

**11th: Chiefs = Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
Richardson is a perfect guy for them and they'd be ecstatic if he fell to that spot.

** 12: Seahawks = Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
No QB left on the board, no need for OL, DB, RB or WR help, but they don't have a top of the line DE. Branch could potentially be that guy. Michael Brockers from LSU could also go here.

* = coin flip will determine final order
** = coin flip will determine final order

rkell87

Reaction score
you only posted 12???

btw please not barron in the first, this saftey class is weak and he probably should be a late 2nd rounder at best

Randy White

Reaction score
13th: Cardinals = Jonathan Martin, OT, Standford
If the Dolphins take Martin, AZ would take Reiff. Also, if the Seahawks opt for Brockers instead of Branch, then Branch could go here too.

14th: Cowboys Mark Barron, S, Alabama.
I know the popular pick is DeCastro and he might well be the guy. However, I don't need to tell any of you guys about our defensive backfield problems. Barron will be an immediate starter at the team's current biggest weakness. He's also a highly rated player coming into this draft. I also have another dark horse that might surprise a few of you: Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU.

15th: Eagles = Luke Kuechly, MLB, Boston College
Obvious need, perfect fit.

16th: J-E-T-S = Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU.
The Jets desperately need a pass rusher. This is Montgomery's speciality. At 6'4, 250 lbs, he could be exactly what they're looking for.

17th: Bengals ( from Raidus )= Vontaze Burfict, OLB, ASU
This would probably be a BPA selection here. Michael Brockers could go here too, but Vontaze fills a slighty bigger need than Brockers or maybe Brockers overlaps Burfict because of his let down this year. The Bengals biggest need is actually CB, but the best one available is Dennard, who's stock is falling.

18th: Chargers = David DeCastro, G, Stanford
That guy you just saw running down the street naked was Philip Rivers who was drunk on happyness after this pick.

19th: Bears = Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
No brainer for the Bears, who's D-line needs the talent. Devon Still could also be a pick here if Brockers is no longer available.

20th: Titans = Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
If Jeffery is available here, he'd be the guy, but Floyd is no slouch himself. Fills an immediate need and provides a potential goto guy for Jake Locker.

21st: Bengals = Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
The Bengals get their man after all. Dennard's instincts are good, but he's going to need work, much like Prince Amukamara. However, unlike Amukamara, he's a natural CB, so the project's timeline should be shorter.

22nd: Browns ( from Atlanta ) = Lamar Miller, RB, University of Miami
RGIII and Miller.. A tremendous explosive combination that could score at anytime from anywhere. The Browns offense would instantly become nuclear with those 2.

23rd: Lions = Kevin Reddick, OLB, NC
Perfect match for a defense that desperately needs LB help and fits his talents like a glove.

24th: Steelers = Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
The Steelers could go in several directions here. Devon Still is also a possibility, but Harrison is 33 years old and James Farrior is 37 years old. Jarvis would provide depth at both positions with his size ( 6'3, 240 lbs ).

Randy White

Reaction score
rkell87;4375844 said:
you only posted 12???

btw please not barron in the first, this saftey class is weak and he probably should be a late 2nd rounder at best

Patience, please..

Barron will not last past the first round. Steelers, Jets, Bengals, Bears, Packers, and Texans, would jump on him in a hearbeat.

rkell87

Reaction score
Randy White;4375853 said:
Patience, please..

Barron will not last past the first round. Steelers, Jets, Bengals, Bears, Packers, and Texans, would jump on him in a hearbeat.

good let them, let somebody else over draft a player because of need

Randy White

Reaction score
rkell87;4375856 said:
good let them, let somebody else over draft a player because of need

" overdraft " ? Where do you think Barron ranks, overall, coming into this draft ?

rkell87

Reaction score
Randy White;4375858 said:
" overdraft " ? Where do you think Barron ranks, overall, coming into this draft ?

i really don't care where he ranks, he isn't a first round talent imo but is the best in this class meaning he will be selected earlier than he should hence 'over drafted'

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
this is what wes bunting said about barron in a recent chat discussion about safeties...

CN: What do those two do for the 2013 draft class? It has to be stronger than this one.

WB: Those to offer more than the top two in this year's draft, [Mark] Barron and Markelle Martin. They go in cycles. You remember how good the safety class was two years ago? You had Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and Morgan Burnett. Burnett fell to the 3rd round, and those guys would be 2nd rounders this year, and maybe break into the late 1st. I gave Burnett the same grade I gave Barron this year, and Barron is considered a 1st rounder this year and Burnett fell to the 3rd.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Barron may end up being good but I don't like selecting him at 14.

We might pass on DeCastro but it wouldn't be for a S in this class.

DeCastro over him all day.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dboy214;4375854 said:
i'm also intrigued by mingo's freak athleticism.

Isn't Mingo a sophomore? I like Mingo too, but Montgomery is the more athletic and more productive pass rusher on that LSU team.

I'd take either, but Montgomery is the safer choice.

ologan

Reaction score
Darn,the ink's not even dry on Fisher's contract,and he's finaggled Stafford from the Lions! We coulda used this guy!!

jblaze2004

Reaction score
mark barron at 14? He better blow up the combine to make that jump. Now if we draft him in the 2nd then I would be ok with that. What round did the safety rahim moore get drafted last year? And how do ya'll think barron rates next to rahim moore and last years draft class, which was also weak.

Hailmary

Reaction score
My goodness, no! If Barron's our pick at 14, I'd flip (and not in a good way).

RS12

Reaction score
Sorry Randy and I think you are a good poster but I hate the pick. I just dont think the guy will cover well enough to warrant that high of a pick.

Eskimo

Reaction score
No way you can take a safety that high unless they have CB type coverage ability in the modern game. That's what made Eric Berry and Earl Thomas such good picks in 2010. So for Barron to go that high he better show CB hips and run in the neighbourhood of 4.42 in the 40 with a 35 inch vertical, a sub 4.0 short shuttle and a 6.7 or less 3-cone drill.

I don't like in-the-box safeties in the first round. We shouldn't consider such a player before the 3rd round. What we really need is a FS to complement Sensy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;4376131 said:
No way you can take a safety that high unless they have CB type coverage ability in the modern game. That's what made Eric Berry and Earl Thomas such good picks in 2010. So for Barron to go that high he better show CB hips and run in the neighbourhood of 4.42 in the 40 with a 35 inch vertical, a sub 4.0 short shuttle and a 6.7 or less 3-cone drill.

I don't like in-the-box safeties in the first round. We shouldn't consider such a player before the 3rd round. What we really need is a FS to complement Sensy.

Exactly.

That's all we need... Another hulking type of safety who can't cover.

Horrible pick in the first round.

tm1119

Reaction score
Everyone already did all the *****ing about Barron so I won't go there...but Jarvis Jones went back to school. And also you have Branch going way too high. Are u possibly confusing him with Mercilus? Other than that its a good early mock. Most of the picks make perfect sense.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Eskimo;4376131 said:

And no one else should. They are pieces to a defense rather than difference makers in today's game.