99% of dead players have CTE

waldoputty

Reaction score
wow, i was surprised by this, but according to CNN, 99% of players who donated their body have CTE.
ideally they can give it all to Goodell:cool:

canters

Reaction score
This could prematurely end the NFL. The league is doing a good job of that now, but the medical stuff is looming. If I were in union leadership, a fully funded pool of cash from all 32 teams with no sunset aspect for compensation and treatment of retired players would be at the top of any new deal.

robjay04

Reaction score
This could prematurely end the NFL. The league is doing a good job of that now, but the medical stuff is looming. If I were in union leadership, a fully funded pool of cash from all 32 teams with no sunset aspect for compensation and treatment of retired players would be at the top of any new deal.

If you said “end the NFL...as we know it” you may have a point but no way the NFL is going to end anytime soon. The reason why so many owners want Goodell back is because revenues are outstanding and it’s not like congress is going to end the sport...they would have to start with boxing, wrestling and UFC first. It’s optional to play football at any level.

canters

Reaction score
If you said “end the NFL...as we know it” you may have a point but no way the NFL is going to end anytime soon. The reason why so many owners want Goodell back is because revenues are outstanding and it’s not like congress is going to end the sport...they would have to start with boxing, wrestling and UFC first. It’s optional to play football at any level.
I can see parents forbidding their kids from playing youth ball, and then the lack of players would cycle through to colleges and then the NFL.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I can see parents forbidding their kids from playing youth ball, and then the lack of players would cycle through to colleges and then the NFL.
I doubt it happens in my lifetime but eventually it will trickle down to the NFL. Who knows what the league will look like in 40 or 50 years.

robjay04

Reaction score

The talent may not be what it once was but how many decent high school players never get to play college ball? How many good college players never make it to the NFL? There will always be players lining up to make millions of dollars playing a kids game.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

This is already happening. There's a kid on my son's travel baseball team that quit football last season because he was targeted by the other team in the championship game and got a concussion. This kid is a rare special athlete. Best QB by a mile at his age in the state and now he only plays baseball and basketball. I suspect this is repeating all other the country.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

No chance.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+1 ........Every player that played the game, did so knowing the risk and was compensated very well. Interesting you hear this mention at the collegiate level. Wonder why......

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Again, it's a faulty figure because the you're looking at a population of data where the family is giving the brains to the scientists because they suspected the player had CTE. So there's a sampling bias involved with that figure. However, it is surprising that many players have CTE out of a population that were suspected to have it.

The other issue here is that we still don't know what exactly causes CTE. For instance, female college soccer players are supposedly far more likely to suffer concussions than male NFL football players. And to my knowledge there has not been a CTE issue with former female college soccer players. There would still be some correlation between CTE and football, but it would be interesting to see exactly what in football is causing this while that is not going on with soccer.

YR

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
For every one player with ALS there are 10,000 that got nothing but joy out of the game

We can't bubble wrap life and ignore all the great times and great careers that were made possible from football

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score

Revenues are so good because Jerry is the head of the group that negotiates the TV contracts.
Revenues are so good because other owners watched the Cowboys do side deals with other sponsors and they followed.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
wow, i was surprised by this, but according to CNN, 99% of players who donated their body have CTE.
ideally they can give it all to Goodell:cool:

99%?

How many players have donated bodies? That seems an awfully hard number to get to unless they have far more donations than I would think.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I’m willing to bet CTE exists in a large portion of the population. Only football players have been analyzed for this however.

You know these are like actual scientists who understand basic stuff like control groups, right?

Stryker44

Reaction score

Never. We MUST FIGHT against this.

This are WARRIORS who are PAID BIG MONEY to FIGHT TO THE DEATH if necessary.

Code Of The Warrior means this sport should not be pussified for anyone at anytime.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
99%?

How many players have donated bodies? That seems an awfully hard number to get to unless they have far more donations than I would think.
I love how people ignore the millions that have played football and lived long, healthy and happy lives

The CTE study is way too premature and way too small a sample.......maybe everyone has latent CTE..... the 4 or 5 known cases of ALS seems like a lot but is it per capita

99% of the kids that play football won't play in the NFL.... I think the issue is a little overblown