A 4th big contract about to happen?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I could see Jaylon accepting a deal similar to what La’el signed.

A 2 year extension paying him what he would’ve got if he was a top 5 pick+the fifth year option.

The Cowboys took on the injury risk with Jaylon through the pick and money. They shouldn't be giving back the profits from that bet now that it's paid off.

I think the Collins thing was different. Collins could go to any team. Jerry makes him an offer to pay him as if he had been a 1st round pick. We get a first rounder for no draft pick. Collins isn't hosed by the story against him. Win win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd like to see if they can sign Maliek on the cheap. Maliek hasn't set the world on fire the last couple of years because they didn't get him the right shoes. I expect a good pop in performance this year. Buy low.

They did try that with Beasley last camp. Cole had a nothing 2017. Might have worked better if we had gotten rid of Linehan last year.

In general, I'd like to see more of that in contract years of downroster guys. See if you can sign them cheap. If not, then make your plans for the season accordingly. If he's not coming back, he's not a guy to invest developmental snaps in.

robjay04

Reaction score
The Cowboys took on the injury risk with Jaylon through the pick and money. They shouldn't be giving back the profits from that bet now that it's paid off.

I think the Collins thing was different. Collins could go to any team. Jerry makes him an offer to pay him as if he had been a 1st round pick. We get a first rounder for no draft pick. Collins isn't hosed by the story against him. Win win.

I get that.

I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t tack a few years on Jaylon to make him whole versus a full fledge second contract.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Also, that analogy was just dumb.

So as the GM, you're just going to cover your severed hand and wait for someone to come help you?

Cool.
I would sign Jaylon before Dak, Cooper, and Zeke. If he goes off this year we are talking about a record breaking contract. Meet him halfway this year and the team will be alright.

Reaction score
SIGN EVERYONE!!!!!

Money-out-the-window-1.gif

Young Spanky references get an automatic "like".

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It took too long for the bet to pay off. He's an UFA after the 2020 season, and he's just getting better. Signing him now will be the cheapest option. We continue to make these bets in round 2 and punt on the advantage of cheap rookie contracts.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That’s Jr? When did the old man pass? Looks just like him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully it’s Jaylon but it’s probably Byron.
Jaylon is listed a Restricted Free Agent in 2020.

If he is indeed an RFA in 2020, then he is not eligible to negotiate a new contract in 2019.

The question about his status has been debated and I've have not seen 100% confirmation on his contract status; however, I believe that RFA in 2020 is correct.

The question is with regards to his 1st year and whether it counted as an accrued season towards free agency with him on Non-Football Injury status that year.

Spotrac has his year 1 salary in red and notes it as Non-Football Injury. The correspondingly list him as RFA for 2020.

John813

Reaction score
Jaylon is listed a Restricted Free Agent in 2020.

If he is indeed an RFA in 2020, then he is not eligible to negotiate a new contract in 2019.

The question about his status has been debated and I've have not seen 100% confirmation on his contract status; however, I believe that RFA in 2020 is correct.

The question is with regards to his 1st year and whether it counted as an accrued season towards free agency with him on Non-Football Injury status that year.

Spotrac has his year 1 salary in red and notes it as Non-Football Injury. The correspondingly list him as RFA for 2020.

Spotrac had him as an UFA earlier this year IIRC. OTC always had him as a RFA.

I want to say there was an article/tweet that referenced Stephen Jones in that he mentioned J-Smith was a RFA this upcoming offseason.

Sometime around mini-camp I believe I saw it posted.

Good point about the contract negotiation part.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took too long for the bet to pay off. He's an UFA after the 2020 season, and he's just getting better. Signing him now will be the cheapest option. We continue to make these bets in round 2 and punt on the advantage of cheap rookie contracts.
That would be 5 years before UFA status if he is not a UFA until after the 2020 season.

A 2nd round pick is normally a UFA after 4 years.

That would mean from a contract perspective, that 2017 was his rookie season.
- He played about half the defensive snaps in 2017.
- He started 6 games in 2017.

He was then a full time starter in 2018.

His contributions in 2017 are exactly what should be expected of a 2nd round pick in their rookie season.

His contract status has been debated several times with regards to whether 2016 counts as an accrued season towards free agency.
- Spotrac says RFA after 2020 which means 2016 didn't count towards free agency because he was on NFI.

erod

Reaction score
That was a less-than-glowing review of Jason Garrett.

He's trying to protect the team from injury and he's doing a great job of that so far.

Yep, that's what I look for in a head coach, a great concern for avoiding injuries.
Every coach does this now except for Belichick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spotrac had him as an UFA earlier this year IIRC. OTC always had him as a RFA.

I want to say there was an article/tweet that referenced Stephen Jones in that he mentioned J-Smith was a RFA this upcoming offseason.

Sometime around mini-camp I believe I saw it posted.

Good point about the contract negotiation part.

I thought SJones had confirmed it, but I couldn't remember for certain.

erod

Reaction score
It's probably either Maliek Collins or Anthony Brown.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's probably either Maliek Collins or Anthony Brown.

Depending on the cost, not upset about either. Collins has his injury issues, but when he's healthy and playing the 3T, he's pretty good. Other than Hill, there isn't a guy we have on the roster at DT that has the skill set Collins has.

Brown has grown on me. He was way too grabby and a risk taker but he's really developed into a solid player. If Byron Jones is going to be too pricey, and he might be, they could do a lot worse than Brown and Awuzie outside and Lewis in the slot (or even try Lewis outside and let Brown stay in the slot where he seems to play well).

erod

Reaction score
Depending on the cost, not upset about either. Collins has his injury issues, but when he's healthy and playing the 3T, he's pretty good. Other than Hill, there isn't a guy we have on the roster at DT that has the skill set Collins has.

Brown has grown on me. He was way too grabby and a risk taker but he's really developed into a solid player. If Byron Jones is going to be too pricey, and he might be, they could do a lot worse than Brown and Awuzie outside and Lewis in the slot (or even try Lewis outside and let Brown stay in the slot where he seems to play well).
When Collins is truly right health wise, he might be better than Lawrence.

Dallas could get a discount, and he'd probably take it.

Brown needs to stay here. It's best for him.