A&M's Franchione has no interest in Irish job

Reaction score
Aggie fans might as well get ready to kiss Franchione's arse goodbye... This is the same thing he said just before he left TCU for Alabama, then Alabama for A&M
======================
CST on Wednesday, December 1, 2004

By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – When Dennis Franchione was at TCU, his contract included a clause saying he could leave for Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Texas or Arizona State for a reduced buyout. The Notre Dame job is open, but the much-traveled Franchione, who does not have a similar clause in his A&M contract, said he has no intention of taking an eighth college head coaching position.

"I have no interest in Notre Dame or in any other coaching job," Franchione said through a spokesman. "I am very happy here at Texas A&M and plan on completing my career here."

Roughneck

Reaction score
Well that's nice considering Notre Dame wasn't going to offer him the job to begin with.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Aggie fans might as well get ready to kiss Franchione's arse goodbye... This is the same thing he said just before he left TCU for Alabama, then Alabama for A&M
======================
CST on Wednesday, December 1, 2004

By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – When Dennis Franchione was at TCU, his contract included a clause saying he could leave for Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Texas or Arizona State for a reduced buyout. The Notre Dame job is open, but the much-traveled Franchione, who does not have a similar clause in his A&M contract, said he has no intention of taking an eighth college head coaching position.

"I have no interest in Notre Dame or in any other coaching job," Franchione said through a spokesman. "I am very happy here at Texas A&M and plan on completing my career here."

Urban Meyer has it written in his contract that if a job becomes open at ND, Michigan or Ohio State that he can leave for the job. I'm sure, just like UF, he will be #1 on the ND wish list.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Well that's nice considering Notre Dame wasn't going to offer him the job to begin with.

I doubt Notre Dame was looking for Franchione too. Everyone in the college football world seems to think it's only a matter of time before Urbay Meyer signs on the dotted line. Franchione ain't going anywhere.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Franchione = overrated and lucky

He is like the guy who keeps getting promoted on Seinfeld. Pretty soon, he will become the Cowboys head coach after just one season at Notre Dame becaue "He did a great job at TCU."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

He is like the guy who keeps getting promoted on Seinfeld. Pretty soon, he will become the Cowboys head coach after just one season at Notre Dame becaue "He did a great job at TCU."

Oh James, don't sleep on Franchione. He is one of a hand full of coaches I think could be really excellent in the NFL. This is an exceptional collegiant football coach.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

James Franchione has worked his way up from small college schools and has been succesfull at all thos stops. He also had Bama back on track. He has turned A&M around in a couple years and trust me RC left them in a world of hurt his last few years on his recuriting.

Fran is far from over rated he has more than the TCU track record behind him

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Wow, my Seinfeld job wasn't too far off. It's just a joke that Franchione would even be considered for the Notre Dame job. Amazing, how excelling at TCU can stay with you long enough to involve yourself in Notre Dame speeches.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Oh James, don't sleep on Franchione. He is one of a hand full of coaches I think could be really excellent in the NFL. This is an exceptional collegiant football coach.

I'm not going to sleep on the guy. If he proves himself to warrant the hype, I'm cool with that but you know me, I don't give credit to those who have not earned it yet. When he does, I'll give him props. He did well at TCU; that's all he has done thus far.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Coach Fran walked into a bad situation at Alabama. They are under NCAA probation. That hurts any team and takes even more time to rebuild. That is why he left for A&M instead of sticking around for that mess.

A&M is going back in the right direction. R.C. really let recruiting slip his last few years. Fran has brought in quite a bit of talent. Many of them have yet to even hit the field. They will be very competitive over the next few seasons.

Is he qualified to coach Notre Dame? I say, as much as the next guy. Certainly better than Bob Davie or George O'Leary. I wouldn't put him at the top of the list of guys that ND should go out and get, but they wouldn't be making a mistake if they chose him. It is clear the guy can coach without even looking at TCU.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
James Franchione has worked his way up from small college schools and has been succesfull at all thos stops. He also had Bama back on track. He has turned A&M around in a couple years and trust me RC left them in a world of hurt his last few years on his recuriting.

Fran is far from over rated he has more than the TCU track record behind him

I don't care what he did at the small schools. There are a lot of coaches that excel at small schools; it's how you do in the big leagues and he hasn't done anything that impressive at the Division 1A level to warant him in the Notre Dames talks. Bama is not on the right track. What are you talking about? They barely finished 6-5 this year. At Alabama, Franchione was 2-6 in games against ranked opponents.

How has he turned Texas AM around? Franchione finished 4-8 in his first year which is worse than Slocum's 6-6 in his last year. They clearly underperformed this year at 7-4 which includes a loss to Baylor. Texas AM looks like it always does. They beat the cupcakes and lose to the big schools like OU, and Texas. That's exactly what Slocum was doing so no one can say Franchione has done a better job than Slocum because until now that isn't true. If you were blindfolded, you would have swore this was a Slocum year. In fact, Slocum finished with the same record in 2001 with 8-4. Ironically, Slocum's 8th victory came against TCU.

He is a good coach but he has not done anything to warrant the Notre Dame job in the least bit. That might change but until then you can't say he deserves it.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
A&M is going back in the right direction. R.C. really let recruiting slip his last few years. Fran has brought in quite a bit of talent. Many of them have yet to even hit the field. They will be very competitive over the next few seasons.

Read my post above. Franchione inherited a 6-6 team under Slocum and finished worse with a 4-8 record in his first season. This year, he finished 7-4 which includes a loss to the worst team in the Big 12 in Baylor.

They lost to Oklahoma 77-0 last year? How do you lose 77-0? You can't even blame that on Slocum's recruiting because Slocum and his players beat OU the previous season. Furthermore, how can you say a team is on the right track when they lost to Baylor this year? You think Franchione is going to outrecruit OU and Texas in their own state?

Thus far, Franchione hasn't done anything to suggest he has done better than Slocum at Texas AM. That may change but until now you have no argument to suggest he has done a better job. At Texas AM, Franchione is 4-7 against ranked opponents and 11-12 overall. How is that any evidence of improvement?

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Read my post above. Franchione inherited a 6-6 team under Slocum and finished worse with a 4-8 record in his first season. This year, he finished 7-4 which includes a loss to the worst team in the Big 12 in Baylor.

They lost to Oklahoma 77-0 last year? How do you lose 77-0? You can't even blame that on Slocum's recruiting because Slocum and his players beat OU the previous season. Furthermore, how can you say a team is on the right track when they lost to Baylor this year? You think Franchione is going to outrecruit OU and Texas in their own state?

Thus far, Franchione hasn't done anything to suggest he has done better than Slocum at Texas AM. That may change but until now you have no argument to suggest he has done a better job.

My argument for Franchione doing better than Slocum is that I watched the games. I can see the coaching is better. The adjustments are better. Last season, Franchione did not have much talent on the team left over from Slocum. Some of the more talented players on the team also got injured. He red shirted several players so they could prepare for the future. It isn't about just turning around in a season or two. It takes 3, 4 or even 5 seasons to get a team to the top in most cases.

The 7-4 record this year may not be impressive to you, but most are surprised A&M even did that well. Yes, the Baylor loss was bad, but consider that the other 3 losses came to three teams ranked in the top 6 in the country.

R.C. Slocum was a lot like Mack Brown. He could recruit well, but really could not coach. Many players failed to develop under Slocum and during his last few seasons, his recruiting fell way off. Franchione has brought in several good players and more on the way for next season. He will have trouble out recruiting UT and OU, but Slocum was starting to slip against Tech and OSU. Fran has them on the right track.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
My argument for Franchione doing better than Slocum is that I watched the games. I can see the coaching is better. The adjustments are better. Last season, Franchione did not have much talent on the team left over from Slocum. Some of the more talented players on the team also got injured. He red shirted several players so they could prepare for the future. It isn't about just turning around in a season or two. It takes 3, 4 or even 5 seasons to get a team to the top in most cases.

The 7-4 record this year may not be impressive to you, but most are surprised A&M even did that well. Yes, the Baylor loss was bad, but consider that the other 3 losses came to three teams ranked in the top 6 in the country.

R.C. Slocum was a lot like Mack Brown. He could recruit well, but really could not coach. Many players failed to develop under Slocum and during his last few seasons, his recruiting fell way off. Franchione has brought in several good players and more on the way for next season. He will have trouble out recruiting UT and OU, but Slocum was starting to slip against Tech and OSU. Fran has them on the right track.

Okay then I accept that. If you are judging him based on your observation of the games then there is nothing I can really say because I have not watched that many Texas AM games so I will give you Franchione fans the benefit of the doubt. And I'm not going to condemn the coach because great things have been said about him. At the same time, talk is cheap and you have to earn those accolades before being labeled a great coaching mind or talent. I have no problem with a fan saying Franchione will one day become a great coach. But I do have problems with people implying that he is already deserving or should be mentioned for the Notre Dame head coaching job. He has not done anything to warrant that. Even his time at Alabama is nothing spectacular because of his 2-6 record against ranked opponents during his time there. He had a great second year at Alabama with a 10-3 record but he still lost 3 out of the 4 games they played against ranked opponents that year.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

You obviously didn't watch any Aggie football during those years. The team was falling apart and recruiting was getting worse. Like Joseph said, the Aggies overachieved this season. We're right on track as far as I'm concerned. One lousy season with the disaster left over by R.C. Slocum, one year to get better and next year we'll be in the top 25.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't care what he did at the small schools. There are a lot of coaches that excel at small schools; it's how you do in the big leagues and he hasn't done anything that impressive at the Division 1A level to warant him in the Notre Dames talks. Bama is not on the right track. What are you talking about? They barely finished 6-5 this year. At Alabama, Franchione was 2-6 in games against ranked opponents.

How has he turned Texas AM around? Franchione finished 4-8 in his first year which is worse than Slocum's 6-6 in his last year. They clearly underperformed this year at 7-4 which includes a loss to Baylor. Texas AM looks like it always does. They beat the cupcakes and lose to the big schools like OU, and Texas. That's exactly what Slocum was doing so no one can say Franchione has done a better job than Slocum because until now that isn't true. If you were blindfolded, you would have swore this was a Slocum year. In fact, Slocum finished with the same record in 2001 with 8-4. Ironically, Slocum's 8th victory came against TCU.

He is a good coach but he has not done anything to warrant the Notre Dame job in the least bit. That might change but until then you can't say he deserves it.

Funny everyone knocks the small school guys but it is ten times harder to recurit and it is takes a lot more coaching up to get good.

Funny how Ohio State loves there former small school guy that had winning recods (Tressel). I guess a proven record at any level is worthless to you and they never deserve to be promoted what ever.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Funny everyone knocks the small school guys but it is ten times harder to recurit and it is takes a lot more coaching up to get good.

Funny how Ohio State loves there former small school guy that had winning recods (Tressel). I guess a proven record at any level is worthless to you and they never deserve to be promoted what ever.

Funny but the small school guys also play in small school divisions against teams of their own calibre so I hardly think they need Parade All Americans to win in their division.

Franchione had 4-8 record in his first year and a 11-12 overall record and a 4-7 record against ranked opponents at Texas AM. Did I mention he was 2-6 against ranked opponents at Alabama. I suppose this is indicative of a "proven record" in your opinion. Interesting

p.s. Jim Tressell won a national championship at Ohio St. When Franchione wins a national championship let alone a conference championship, you can use those two coaches in the same sentence.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Funny but the small school guys also play in small school divisions against teams of their own calibre so I hardly think they need Parade All Americans to win in their division.

Franchione had 4-8 record in his first year and a 11-12 overall record and a 4-7 record against ranked opponents at Texas AM. Did I mention he was 2-6 against ranked opponents at Alabama. I suppose this is indicative of a "proven record" in your opinion. Interesting

p.s. Jim Tressell won a national championship at Ohio St. When Franchione wins a national championship let alone a conference championship, you can use those two coaches in the same sentence.

The difference in their two situations was that Tressell inherited a lot of talent from Cooper. I think Tressel is a very good coach. He did very well before making it to OSU and is doing a fine job now.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The difference in their two situations was that Tressell inherited a lot of talent from Cooper. I think Tressel is a very good coach. He did very well before making it to OSU and is doing a fine job now.

Regardless of the talent he inherited, Tressell has done a better job than Franchione. Who can argue otherwise? How can you excuse Franchione going 4-8 in his first season? Texas AM was not that bad under Slocum. Slocum went 6-6 the previous year and 8-4 the year before that so there was some talent there. He should have finished at least 6-6 during his first year and better than 7-4 this year if he was truly worth the hype.

Don't get me wrong. I think Dennis Franchione is a very good coach who can be exciting at times. However, he is overrated at the present time in my opinion because he has not done anything to warrant that hype. The best he has done thus far was go 10-3 at Alabama but he still lost 3 out of 4 games against ranked opponents that year. Overrated does not mean he is a bad coach; it just means he is not as good as the hype surrounding him at this point in time. Maybe that will change in the future. Franchione deserved the Alabama job and the Texas AM job. But I don't see how one can say he is deserving of the Notre Dame position. That's my two cents so I guess we will agree to disagree.