A career move by Penn State C A.Q. Shipley

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
A career move by Penn State C A.Q. Shipley
10:50 AM Tue, Apr 14, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

The NFL loves teams players. The NFL loves A.Q. Shipley.

Shipley was recruited as a defensive tackle by Penn State and spent his first season there, picking up a couple of sacks. Then he was summoned to coach Joe Paterno's office that spring.

"He told me they needed a center and asked me if I'd make the move," Shipley said. "Obviously I went there to play defensive line. They have a great history of putting players in the NFL. That's one of the reasons I chose Penn State. He said you can be a good defensive tackle -- but I think you can be a 10-year guy in the NFL if you make the move to center."

So Shipley made the move -- and had to become a quick learner.

"I was in some big games and tough situations," Shipley said. "We were at Notre Dame and Ohio State in the first four games of the year and both of those schools were Top 5 teams. So I got into the fire pretty quick. Ohio State throws everything at you plus the kitchen sink. So I saw all that stuff early on."

Shipley (6-1, 304) wound up starting 39 games at center. He was a two-time All-Big Ten pick and won the Rimington Award in 2008 as the best center in the nation. He projects as a second-day draft pick.