A Case Study of Bad Parenting

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Shut boy in basement while she ran errands
Sunday, June 12, 2005 Posted: 1:56 PM EDT (1756 GMT)

It's Nicky's time to go.
-- Maureen Faibish, victim's mother

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs.

She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."

Nicholas apparently found a way to open the basement door.

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: "My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack.

Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
It think it's time for Maureen Faibish to go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, this isn't an atypical event in today's society. Somewhere down the line, people have elevated the status of 'dog' to that of fellow human beings.

Where will it all end? Don't know, but in this case, a child would still be alive IF a threatening animal would have been put in its proper place: outside the home or even neighborhood. Sad story.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chief said:
It think it's time for Maureen Faibish to go.
And by a means similar to how that poor child went, would be not retribution but some measure of "justice".

To be so callous, so blase about your own child ripped to death by dogs and caused by no one but yourself.

Dear Lord, this is the ultimate depravity.

"Time to go"

An absolutely chilling statement and perspective, even horror-movie mom-monsters would be unbelieveable mouthing such a thing.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
What a flippin idiot this mother is! If I felt my Cocker Spaniel was a threat to my child I would get rid of it.

I hope she goes to jail for a long, long time!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Something smells fishy here... and it ain't Tuna...

She is WAY to "matter-of-fact" and callous about this child's death...

My suspicions are that she locked the boy in the house with this killer dog expecting/hoping this would happen...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
28bringinthewood said:
What a flippin idiot this mother is! If I felt my Cocker Spaniel was a threat to my child I would get rid of it.

I hope she goes to jail for a long, long time!

btw... older spaniels, especially Cocker and English Springers, can be VERY dangerous to young children... it is called Spaniel Rage... keep an eye on them as they age...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Pits get a bad rep from stupid owners. You can make any dog a killer if you treat it wrong.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
btw... older spaniels, especially Cocker and English Springers, can be VERY dangerous to young children... it is called Spaniel Rage... keep an eye on them as they age...

My Cocker is the sweetest dog ever. She is 11 years old and my 3 year old nephew totally abuses her, but she loves him.

I actually have a pit bull and a boxer too. My boxer is about 130 lbs. and I keep him out of the house when my nephew is here. Not that he would ever hurt him on purpose.... he is just to dang big for his own good.... he can't help knocking my nephew down.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
28bringinthewood said:
My Cocker is the sweetest dog ever. She is 11 years old and my 3 year old nephew totally abuses her, but she loves him.

I actually have a pit bull and a boxer too. My boxer is about 130 lbs. and I keep him out of the house when my nephew is here. Not that he would ever hurt him on purpose.... he is just to dang big for his own good.... he can't help knocking my nephew down.
I have a 120lb boxer/pit mix

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Pits get a bad rep from stupid owners. You can make any dog a killer if you treat it wrong.

I agree. However I will say the physical capabilities of the Pit Bull do make them a bit more of a danger when being raised by people who have no business owning the particular breed of dog. I see too many people who own these dogs teaching them aggressive behavior such as using the tire hanging from a tree. These are great dogs but in the hands of idiots these dogs can be a loaded gun

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I have a 120lb boxer/pit mix

I saw that picture of your dog on the other thread... he is so cute. He actually looks alot like my dog... except mine has more of the short boxer snout. Mine is 3/4 boxer...1/4 lab.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I'll probably get crucified for saying so but...

I would never own a pit. They are way too dangerous. I have two children that I wouldn't risk getting harmed by one of these dogs.

I'm sure that most of the really violent ones are that way because of the way they are raised, but any dog can attack you. If a dog has pups it's protecting or gets scared or something like that it might attack you. The problem is that with most dogs you might just get a bite or two, with a pit you might end up dead or so badly mauled you'll wish you were. I'm sure everyone says... my pit would never hurt anyone, but the fact is any dog can attack and if a pit attacks your in trouble.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone says... my pit would never hurt anyone, but the fact is any dog can attack and if a pit attacks your in trouble.

I never let my pit near the kids. She stays outside. She was a birthday gift to my husband from one of his friends. I have been looking for a way to get rid of her ever since.... nothing against pits..... but she keeps climbing the fence and I don't want that reliability.
She has papers and she is the dumbest dog we have ever had.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
I'll probably get crucified for saying so but...

I would never own a pit. They are way too dangerous. I have two children that I wouldn't risk getting harmed by one of these dogs.

I'm sure that most of the really violent ones are that way because of the way they are raised, but any dog can attack you. If a dog has pups it's protecting or gets scared or something like that it might attack you. The problem is that with most dogs you might just get a bite or two, with a pit you might end up dead or so badly mauled you'll wish you were. I'm sure everyone says... my pit would never hurt anyone, but the fact is any dog can attack and if a pit attacks your in trouble.

Not just pits, but any dog. You have to very careful to see how they interact with children, especially small ones. Some dogs are a kid's best friend, some just shouldn't be around children.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO the fault lies squarley on the woman and I do not see how she is not being charged in this, even if it is for criminal negligence.

She knew this one dog could not be trusted alone with the child.
She tells a CHILD to stay in the basement, she says it is just like this CHILD not to listen...so she is admitting that the child was not responsible enough for his own saftey.

Yet she still decides that it is easier to lock the CHILD in a basement instead of taking the child with her to the store.

Is it just me or does anyone think that maybe she should have taken the CHILD with her or at the very least lock the dog or dogs in the basement if there was ANY question (as it seems there is a history between the child and the dog). I doubt the dog could get out of the basement, where it is clear the child can do so on his own.

No matter if the dog is bad....it is this womans fault for keeping the dog after she knows there is a history, keeping the child at home in a dangerous enviroment, and locking the child in the basement instead of the dogs.

I still am shocked she has not been charged.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
IMO the fault lies squarley on the woman and I do not see how she is not being charged in this, even if it is for criminal negligence.

She tells a CHILD to stay in the basement, she says it is just like this CHILD not to listen...so she is admitting that the child was not responsible enough for his own saftey.

Yet she still decides that it is easier to lock the CHILD in a basement instead of taking the child with her to the store.

Is it just me or does anyone think that maybe she should have taken the CHILD with her or at the very least lock the dog or dogs in the basement if there was ANY question (as it seems there is a history between the child and the dog). I doubt the dog could get out of the basement, where it is clear the child can do so on his own.

No matter if the dog is bad....it is this womans fault for keeping the dog after she knows there is a history, keeping the child at home in a dangerous enviroment, and locking the child in the basement instead of the dogs.

I think she will be charged. I have no doubt she will. I think the case is being investigated so that the charges are rock solid and she has no room to wiggle out of it.

And if she had any good sense she'd shut the h*ll up and stop talking to the media (obviously she doesn't).

Hoov

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Something smells fishy here... and it ain't Tuna...

She is WAY to "matter-of-fact" and callous about this child's death...

My suspicions are that she locked the boy in the house with this killer dog expecting/hoping this would happen...

Yeah, i think that is likely. Also due to the fact that she said "typical Nickey" bout how the kid does not listen to anything she says, like the kid is a pain in her arse or something.

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Yeah, she locks the kid in the basement but lets the dogs roam the house ? That sounds so utterly stupid and dehumanizing. The dogs should have been locked in the basement, not the kid.

Or like you said, the kid should have been with her going to the store.