A Chicago Bears Fan's perception of the Cowboys

Common Sense

Reaction score
That's cowardly, playing not to lose football. There is no protecting a D that cannot force a punt, there is only trying to score EVERY time you touch the ball. And, regardless, trying to score there still isn't abandoning the run, it's simply trying to score with limited time. So, maybe 2 series without much in the way of running (when down by 13+) is abandoning the run now? Romo had 20 attempts, this is just nonsense.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. Have you ever heard of situational football?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Well, your name fits you.

It fits the difficulty level of countering your arguments. Your original post says your friend said they had stopped running in the middle of the 2nd quarter...when they were still running. This is worse than a thread blaming Romo for last night.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. Have you ever heard of situational football?

Yes, and in that situation, you have 2 timeouts and about a minute 45, which is plenty of time to score. Your defense isn't stopping anything, and you need to score anytime you have the chance.That was the situation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It fits the difficulty level of countering your arguments. Your original post says your friend said they had stopped running in the middle of the 2nd quarter...when they were still running. This is worse than a thread blaming Romo for last night.

Actually, it says my family, not my friend. They did stop running in the 2nd Quarter. You don't agree, that's fine but it's there for anybody to see.

Have a good day.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir. This isn't the first time this type of crap happened with JG running the offense.

Garrett is seriously the worst head coach this franchise has ever had............I would seriously take Campo over this loser. At least Campo was competent, just didnt have any talent to work with.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Yes, and in that situation, you have 2 timeouts and about a minute 45, which is plenty of time to score. Your defense isn't stopping anything, and you need to score anytime you have the chance.That was the situation.

So you call three straight incomplete passes and give them the ball back with three timeouts and almost the same amount of time? Okay, sure.

btcutter

Reaction score

A good coach in these types of situation needs to FIRST make sure you don't give the ball back to opponent and allow them to score. Yes, I understand we like to score before the half but you can't allow your opponenent to widen the lead by giving them the ball back either. Again, watch JJ in the 90's calling plays. His 2 min offense before the half is almost always either a draw or screen play. This ensures that you burn some time off the clock. If the play nets a first down adn better field position then he goes into attack mode. If the play gets stuffed then you force the other team to let the clock run down or burn their time outs.

I don't understand why Garrett doesn't get clock management?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
A good coach in these types of situation needs to FIRST make sure you don't give the ball back to opponent and allow them to score. Yes, I understand we like to score before the half but you can't allow your opponenent to widen the lead by giving them the ball back either. Again, watch JJ in the 90's calling plays. His 2 min offense before the half is almost always either a draw or screen play. This ensures that you burn some time off the clock. If the play nets a first down adn better field position then he goes into attack mode. If the play gets stuffed then you force the other team to let the clock run down or burn their time outs.

I don't understand why Garrett doesn't get clock management?

This isn't the 90's and this certainly isn't that defense. I think your FIRSt responsibility with your offense on the field is to try and score, not be afraid of what your opponent may do if they get the ball back.

btcutter

Reaction score
This isn't the 90's and this certainly isn't that defense. I think your FIRSt responsibility with your offense on the field is to try and score, not be afraid of what your opponent may do if they get the ball back.

That's exactly what Garrett probably thought and guess what....We gave the ball back with Bears still holding all their time outs and they scored. Now instead of down by 3 you are down by 10.

The strategy should always be looking at risk/reward. Yes, we want to score but you MUST not let the other team get the ball back with opportunity to widen their lead. You are exactly right about our D isn't the 90's. Then you MUST protect our D knowing they will give up yardage and likely points. As a coach you think both Offense and Defense.

I am not even thinking outside the box here. The reasoning is simple. This is basic football 101. Unfortunately, our coach doesn't get it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That's exactly what Garrett probably thought and guess what....We gave the ball back with Bears still holding all their time outs and they scored. Now instead of down by 3 you are down by 10.

The strategy should always be looking at risk/reward. Yes, we want to score but you MUST not let the other team get the ball back with opportunity to widen their lead. You are exactly right about our D isn't the 90's. Then you MUST protect our D knowing they will give up yardage and likely points. As a coach you think both Offense and Defense.

I am not even thinking outside the box here. The reasoning is simple. This is basic football 101. Unfortunately, our coach doesn't get it.

You think the top teams in the league are running there? I guarantee they are attacking going for a score.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score

JG is that you? LOL
Come on man, when you have a defense that you know can't stop anyone your forced to play a little bit of keep away. Especially at the end of the half knowing that they get the ball to open the second half.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep. And when you can't stop them from scoring, take the ball away, or make them punt, ever, it really doesn't matter that much what you do on offense, anyway.

This game was a defensive failure, categorically, and that's all there is to it. Why in the world did we stick with the zone coverage all night? I was debating someone....Catch, maybe...earlier in the week and defending our use of zone in the NOLA game. This was entirely different. We had both Ware and Hatch in the lineup. We were getting devoured. We should have taken our chances with the press and rolled the dice. It's not like it would have been worse. Maybe it was having Claiborne out, they didn't think they had the horses to matchup with their receivers? I don't get it.