CFZ A closer look at our inability to stop the run last two seasons

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at the last two seasons, it is not difficult to see what the biggest issue the Dallas Cowboys have had on defense: The inability to stop the run against the better teams we face. That’s been an issue for more than two seasons, but I chose to just look at 2022 and 2023 since they are the most recent.

In the 2022 and 2023 seasons including the playoffs, the Cowboys won 13 games in 2022 and 12 games 2023. They lost 6 games in 2022 and 6 games in 2023. I want to look at the role the inability to stop the run played in those combined 12 losses the last two seasons.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2022 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:
  • Vs TB- L 19-3. Gave up 153 yards rushing
  • @Phi L 26-17. Gave up 136 yards rushing
  • @GB L 31-28. Gave up 206 yards rushing
  • @Jax L 40-34. Gave up 192 yards rushing
  • @Wash L 26-6. Gave up 151 yards rushing (Cowboys didn’t try to win this game because playoff seeding was decided)
  • @SF in Divisional round playoff game L 19-12. Gave up 113 yards rushing
In their 6 losses in 2022, the Cowboys averaged giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2023 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:

• @Ariz L 28-16. Gave up 222 yards rushing
  • @SF L 42-10. Gave up 170 yards rushing
  • @Phil L 28-23. Gave up 109 yards rushing
  • @Buff L 31-10. Gave up 266 yards rushing
  • @Mia L 22-20. Gave up 91 yards rushing
  • Vs GB in wild card playoff game. L 48-32. Gave up 143 yards rushing.
So in our 6 losses in 2023, the Cowboys averaged giving up 167 rushing yards per game. Combining the last two seasons, we average giving up 163 yards rushing per game. You cannot beat good teams when you can’t stop the run. (Quick side note: 10 of the Cowboys 12 losses the last two seasons were on the road, and our run defense was at its worst on the road)

There are lots of things we need to fix or rebuild with the Cowboys this off-season. I know many Cowboys fans who want to change QBs. I understand that. BUT…if this team does not find a way to fix its inability to stop the run, we could have Patrick Mahomes under center and we aren’t going to win a lot of playoff games.

Fixing the run defense problem is job #1 this off-season.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Looking at the last two seasons, it is not difficult to see what the biggest issue the Dallas Cowboys have had on defense: The inability to stop the run against the better teams we face. That’s been an issue for more than two seasons, but I chose to just look at 2022 and 2023 since they are the most recent.

In the 2022 and 2023 seasons including the playoffs, the Cowboys won 13 games in 2022 and 12 games 2023. They lost 6 games in 2022 and 6 games in 2023. I want to look at the role the inability to stop the run played in those combined 12 losses the last two seasons.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2022 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:
  • @Wash L 26-6. Gave up 151 yards rushing (Cowboys didn’t try to win this game because playoff seeding was decided)
In their 6 losses in 2022, the Cowboys averaged giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2023 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:

So in our 6 losses in 2023, the Cowboys averaged giving up 167 rushing yards per game. Combining the last two seasons, we average giving up 163 yards rushing per game. You cannot beat good teams when you can’t stop the run. (Quick side note: 10 of the Cowboys 12 losses the last two seasons were on the road, and our run defense was at its worst on the road)

There are lots of things we need to fix or rebuild with the Cowboys this off-season. I know many Cowboys fans who want to change QBs. I understand that. BUT…if this team does not find a way to fix its inability to stop the run, we could have Patrick Mahomes under center and we aren’t going to win a lot of playoff games.

It hasnt been a priority in decades
The rams playoff game we got ran all over, that was in 2018, what have we done since then? Drafted a bunch of injury prone players and a DT who we tried to get even lighter?
Outside of Parsons and Dlaw our line has been abysmal, Armstrong will make a play every 4 games, and OSA has flashes early then goes MIA. And we have nothing at LB even fully healthy for stopping the run.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It hasnt been a priority in decades
The rams playoff game we got ran all over, that was in 2018, what have we done since then? Drafted a bunch of injury prone players and a DT who we tried to get even lighter?
Outside of Parsons and Dlaw our line has been abysmal, Armstrong will make a play every 4 games, and OSA has flashes early then goes MIA. And we have nothing at LB even fully healthy for stopping the run.
Agree. And this is why if we don’t fix this decades lone problem, it won’t matter if Mahomes, Superman, or any other great QB is taking snaps. If your defense can’t stop the run, you can’t win playoff games. It is really that simple.
Would also love to improve our running game on offense!!
Absolutely!

CCBoy

Reaction score
What we know from The Star as of Tuesday: CowboysSI.com is reporting that the Ron Rivera interview has been completed and, as we wrote it live, that the Mike Zimmer interview was “ongoing.’’

And what do they think on “NFL Live’’? ex-Dallas defensive end Marcus Spears spoke about former Minnesota Vikings head coach Zimmer’s candidacy.

“He’s one of [their options] and a really good possibility,” Spears said, nailing a sound reason. “He has had a tremendous amount of success against Kyle Shanahan-type offenses. That’s one of his calling cards and [modus operandi] which may be very enticing to the Dallas Cowboys.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-agents?ueid=d29e426080d34b77c2be722b7ff361fb

Quinn's defense showed a weakness against the outside run.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Agree. And this is why if we don’t fix this decades lone problem, it won’t matter if Mahomes, Superman, or any other great QB is taking snaps. If your defense can’t stop the run, you can’t win playoff games. It is really that simple.

Absolutely!
yup, cant stop the run, cant run the ball, recipe for all the success we see today.

Dont think this is an issue you can fix in a a year, which is why the Jones arent gonna do jack to fix it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Trysten Hill-2nd rd
Neville Gallimore-3
Quinton Bohanna-6
Osi Whoever-3
Chauncey Golston-3
John Ridgeway-6
Mazi Smith-1

Brent Urban-BBFA
Carlos Watkins-BBFA

Apparently they at least recognize that the middle of the defense has been rotten and needed to be addressed, they have just failed miserably in selecting personnel.

If I had to guess it’s about allowing position coaches too much input over scouts, or one or the other just being not all that good at what they do. That happens.

conner01

Reaction score
Would also love to improve our running game on offense!!
I think the run, on both sides of the ball is the real key to success. We have to get better at both and I think we can with the draft and FA if we make the right choices. Get better at LB, put Mazi at NT and fatten him back up because he’s not a pass rusher. Get better on the oline. Get a new center and add a tackle. Bring in a RB in FA because they aren’t gonna be expensive. Draft what fixes you can and buy the rest

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I think the run, on both sides of the ball is the real key to success. We have to get better at both and I think we can with the draft and FA if we make the right choices. Get better at LB, put Mazi at NT and fatten him back up because he’s not a pass rusher. Get better on the oline. Get a new center and add a tackle. Bring in a RB in FA because they aren’t gonna be expensive. Draft what fixes you can and buy the rest
Fredbeard was such a gigantic loss, Biadasz has done a bit above average in comparison, but its a wide gap.

blueblood70

Reaction score

agreed!

It also led to those teams being able to have some great play action pass opportunities and started lighting up our secondary as a result so yeah it's uh send ripples through the defense when you can't stop the run and other teams know you can't I found it interesting to interview with Josh Allen after that game he said the game plan was not to run all game but when he noticed Dan Quinn not pulling out of nickel and dime and not making any adjustments to the run game they decided to keep running it until someone stopped it and they only needed 90 yards from their quarterback passing...

It was systemic in my opinion not all Dan Quinn's fault we had injuries maybe we didn't have good enough linebackers whatever the reason but him moving on will help at least have the next guy be able to address these and it won't be status quo..

John813

Reaction score
Trysten Hill-2nd rd
Neville Gallimore-3
Quinton Bohanna-6
Osi Whoever-3
Chauncey Golston-3
John Ridgeway-6
Mazi Smith-1

Brent Urban-BBFA
Carlos Watkins-BBFA

Apparently they at least recognize that the middle of the defense has been rotten and needed to be addressed, they have just failed miserably in selecting personnel.

If I had to guess it’s about allowing position coaches too much input over scouts, or one or the other just being not all that good at what they do. That happens.

Dallas has spent high picks over the McClay era on DL and LBs.
The results have not been kind.
So, either their scouts are Ray Charles and/or their defensive coaches in the war room are bad at analysis the remaining talent when they pick.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I had some false hope in the Green Bay playoff game. You may remember that the Packers' first two plays from scrimmage were runs that we stuffed. I was like, "Cool, we came to pay." After that, unfortunately, the floodgates broke wide open. Then we couldn't stop the run; we couldn't stop the pass. We couldn't run ourselves. We couldn't complete a pass. Our offense didn't wake up util the third quarter, and our defense never woke up. Those guys couldn't stop a tennis ball from rolling down a hill. Our players looked like they were playing together for the first time. It's the worst game I can remember.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

I'm sure everyone understands exactly what you are saying, but the offense HAS to take some blame here. Take the GB disaster for example. Sure, the defense was terrible, but what did the offense do to help? They put up a goose egg until the final drive of the first half. Is that the defenses fault? Nope...

Like others have mentioned in this thread already, I can't remember the last time this front office has taken the defensive side of the ball seriously. It might even go all the way back to the Jimmy Johnson days. But we have to stop giving the offense a pass when the defense has a bad day. The offense didn't get rolling against GB until they pulled their starters and played most of the 2nd half in prevent. That's just unacceptable.

blueblood70

Reaction score
yup and this is what it looked like in Seattle and this last playoff loss when teams see you cant stop the run and use extra resources to do so..

https://albums.memento.com/thebill/p/65c4f7f5219f2c86a867f224

e4d821fc-d78b-40a1-8f7d-7841b3d1e111.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trysten Hill-2nd rd
Neville Gallimore-3
Quinton Bohanna-6
Osi Whoever-3
Chauncey Golston-3
John Ridgeway-6
Mazi Smith-1

Brent Urban-BBFA
Carlos Watkins-BBFA

I’m obviously not an expert on how to build a better run defense. But it doesn’t take an NFL roster genius to see that our front 7 are woefully undersized and physically outgunned in the running game.

I saw a quote from one of the Buffalo OL who was quoted they couldn't wait to play us because when they saw those 210 pound LBs on film they knew they could absolutely bully them. And they went out and rushed for 266 yards. A bad Ariz team just manhandled our front 7 while rushing for 222 this year.

The only time our D was imposing its will on teams was when we were ahead two scores and opponents had to pass.

kskboys

Reaction score
Trysten Hill-2nd rd
Neville Gallimore-3
Quinton Bohanna-6
Osi Whoever-3
Chauncey Golston-3
John Ridgeway-6
Mazi Smith-1

Brent Urban-BBFA
Carlos Watkins-BBFA

All JAGs. Or projects.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure everyone understands exactly what you are saying, but the offense HAS to take some blame here. Take the GB disaster for example. Sure, the defense was terrible, but what did the offense do to help? They put up a goose egg until the final drive of the first half. Is that the defenses fault? Nope...

Like others have mentioned in this thread already, I can't remember the last time this front office has taken the defensive side of the ball seriously. It might even go all the way back to the Jimmy Johnson days. But we have to stop giving the offense a pass when the defense has a bad day. The offense didn't get rolling against GB until they pulled their starters and played most of the 2nd half in prevent. That's just unacceptable.
You’re right, the offense was also awful, especially in the first half when we needed to stay in the game. If we had been able to run the ball in that first half we could have kept GB offense off the field and given our D a blow.

We sucked vs the pack in all phases of the game.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Remember it's all Jerry's fault and he does appreciate your dedication to fix his problem.
Jerry wants to know who you are looking at in the draft, so he can skip that player.

:p