A Coaching question

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore interviewed well with McCarthy. Impressed him. And he lead the Cowboys to the #1 offense last year.

He is a very bright man and will probably be a HC himself someday.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get it. The Cowboys got a new coach. The Coach (MM) brought his other staff in to help this team, mostly on defense...some on offense also. However, what bothers is why is MM keeping Kellen? To run all the same plays we have been seeing over all the past 10 years?

That's the part I don't get. OK...they have a QB, their building a NEW team. Why did MM allow to keep his OC? Because that is what Kellen wants, or what he was told to do by MM? Is it because of Dak and Kellen's relationship? Why didn't MM hire his own OC instead off keeping Kellen. It's just looks like the same old, same old stuff.

Brad Sham said both JJ and SJ were surprised that MM wanted to keep KM a OC.

MM has said he wanted to maintain continuity because the offense was good in 2019 and because of Covid he didn't want the players to have to learn a new system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has said on several occasions he wanted to keep Moore. He believes he's a young, bright mind with a lot of potential.
Yes, he has said that. And he probably believes as such.

But I think he knew what Jerry wishes were and liking Moore made the decision easier for Jerry.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not altogether sure MM really meant it when he said he really liked what he saw from Moore, even before he got the HC job. I'll bet it sounded pretty good to Jerry, though and may have cemented his getting the job. If Stephen was surprised, it might be revealing!
(Sometimes, you can't always take what you hear too seriously!) :muttley:

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think the jones boys see kellen as a McVay prototype, and they hired MM to school him a few years, then kellen will become HC.
So again they want to build a HC, like they did with JG.
So yeah we could be looking at a Decade of kellen the boy genius!:eek:

There is no good excuse for what we saw in game 1, hopefully they realize what we already know, and make some changes to
their stale offense.
Heck just copy the rams offense, it would be perfect for dak and cowboys.
Run elliot more and all short quick passes. That also helps with our OL, get the ball out in 2.5 to 3 seconds!
It isnt rocket science lol, and if the coaches , MM and kellen cant see this then we are doomed.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't get it. The Cowboys got a new coach. The Coach (MM) brought his other staff in to help this team, mostly on defense...some on offense also. However, what bothers is why is MM keeping Kellen? To run all the same plays we have been seeing over all the past 10 years?

That's the part I don't get. OK...they have a QB, their building a NEW team. Why did MM allow to keep his OC? Because that is what Kellen wants, or what he was told to do by MM? Is it because of Dak and Kellen's relationship? Why didn't MM hire his own OC instead off keeping Kellen. It's just looks like the same old, same old stuff.

Mike doesn’t have GM power, like the HC for the SHawks does.

honestly, most of our problems are with the defense and the OL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Let me reminder you that same old playbook was used back in 2016 when the Cowboys tied their best season record ever. Also let me remind you of something Switzer said after being hired to replace Johnson. It's easier for me to learn a new playbook than it is for an entire offense to learn a new playbook.

Nobody here knows for sure as a fact why Moore was retained, nor what or when things were decided. We all have our opinions but when it come to this that is ALL; anyone here has on this and opinions are not facts. The only thing we know is McCarthy made a public statement shorty after becoming head coach that most of the old playbook would be used.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
....Dallas had #1 scoring offense last year. Hard not to keep Moore with that stat.
Where do you get your stats? ESPN & NFL network have them 6th & 7th respectively in scoring.
The only stat I see the offense #1 in is yardage.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Moore interviewed well with McCarthy. Impressed him. And he lead the Cowboys to the #1 offense last year.

He is a very bright man and will probably be a HC himself someday.

#1 offense last year? In yardage only, nothing else.
6th or 7th in scoring, depending on the source.
And it all looks great when you're running up the score on teams like the Giants, Commanders, Miami, & Detroit, averaging 37 points per game in the 8 wins.
What about the losses though? What about scoring against the tough teams like the Saints, Patriots, & Buffalo? What about averaging 17 points per game in the 8 losses?
No, this is not a #1 offense.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Until a football “expert” that knows about route concepts and blocking schemes can watch the All-22 and compare last year to this year we really don’t know what’s different.

We know there wasn’t a lot of motion but they did play with a fast tempo. They were first in the league in week 1 in time per play (20.53 seconds).

Stephen made the point that if you go play by play and look at the details you would see its different. I’m not enough of an expert to know if that’s true or not. But I’d imagine you’d want the team to be able to execute the new plays as easily as possible without adding motion and complicating it.

They only had 3 weeks to prepare (as opposed to the usual 6 months) and it was the first time they went against an opposing defense when they didn’t know what was coming.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Simple....Jerry wanted to keep Moore.

MM wanted the job, so he said the right thing.

Jerry ALWAYS has to have some of "his guys" as assistants and that's exactly what happened here.