A Commander Fan's Take

DLCassidy

Reaction score
The funny thing is is this was basically the same Washington including Portis that got shut down for 56 minutes last year. If Newman been given sole responsibility for Moss last year that's a 13-0 game. This game your offense generated 3 points on the strength of 2 15 yard penalties. There's really no big difference.

This is a division where home field seems to mean a lot more than the standard 3 points. Playcalling aside, Portis being out aside, Brunell sucking aside, I fully expect us to have our hands full at Fed Ex because it's a tough place to play. Just like I was sure we'd win last night (I played Dallas in the "winner's" elimination game and Washington is the "loser's") The player's on both sides feed off the crowd in these divisional matchups. And it's not just Washington. Our offense did basically nothing in the Giants and Eagles road games last year and the root of that is the lost battles along the LOS. Last night Dallas being at home won those and attempts to parcel out blame elsewhere for the skins are fine but somewhat miss the main point.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
There were 3 people that are ultimately responsible for the loss the Commanders took tonight.

Wrong. There were 46 people responsible for the loss the Commanders took last night.

The 45 dressed up for the cowboys last night.

And Bill Parcells.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
The Cowboys robbed themselves of 150 yards of offensive production due to penalties. If that didn't happen, they would have won by about 31 points instead of 17.

To be fair the skins had even more penalties than we did. As Parcells says "there's two sides to that pancake".

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
To be fair the skins had even more penalties than we did. As Parcells says "there's two sides to that pancake".

It's not just the penalties, it's the plays the penalties negated.

We had a 43 yard pass play called back due to a penalty. I don't recall any "Big" plays called back against the Skins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLCassidy said:

Any 50 yard plays called back?

I don't remember the Commanders having any major plays negated by penalties. I think their corners got penalized more than anyone.

In fact, I think a penalty or two saved them from some negative plays.....

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Overall I think the Commanders beat themselves moreso than the Cowboys did

Come again? You might want to rewatch this game. Check your third down stats on both sides of the ball and then come back and explain to us how the Commanders beat themselves? Honestly, you could not have watched this game and come away thinking the Commanders beat themselves? Did you watch your offensive line get whipped in the second half? Did you see your defense exhausted and sucking wind in the fourth quarter?

Really not trying to be a jerk here, but The Commanders were beat they didnt shoot themselves in the foot.

One more thing, Al saunders offenses in kansas city have always been a horizontal style passing attack with big running production. kansas city had Willie roaf and Brian waters, washington has good players at lt and lg, KC had outstanding players and the leagues best left side.

Now with portis playing this would have been a more competitive game for sure, but I am not sure he would have had a big game the way your offensive line played.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I haven't rewatched it, but I really don't think this is the case. If it is, that means Glenn's man released him to the deep safety. The ONLY safety deep was Taylor. Was he designed to cover the entire field? That makes no sense to me, rich. GW isn't THAT stupid. ;)

The Cowboys had two wide receivers to the left (Owens wide, Glenn in the slot) and two tight ends to the right. So, who had primary responsibility for covering Glenn on a deep post? Certainly not any of the linemen or linebackers, and certainly neither of the cornerbacks (Rogers played Owens the entire time, and the other corner was on the other side of the field.) That leaves two guys -- Taylor and Archuleta.

Archuleta was lined up on the side of the field with both tight ends, Witten and Fasano, 9 yards off the line and across from the right tackle. Fasano stays in to block, and Archuleta covers Witten running a deep out.

Taylor was lined up directly across from Glenn, 17 yards deep. There is nobody at the line of scrimmage across from Glenn, and nobody jams him at the line. Taylor has soft coverage on Glenn the entire time. He is turned toward the middle and can't even see what Owens is doing on the outside (Owens ran up the left sideline, with Rogers right behind him).

When Bledsoe threw the ball, Glenn was directly between the hashes at the 15-yard line. Taylor was on the left hash at the 10. Archuleta was at the 23 between the numbers and the right sideline, covering Witten. For Archuleta to have been responsible for covering Glenn on a deep post, he would have had to ignore the guy running deep on his side of the field and notice that Glenn was running a post from the other side of the field before Glenn even crossed onto his side of the field. On the other hand, all Taylor had to do was exactly what he did -- only better.

Glenn's TD catch was very similar to Randy Moss' long catch against us last season. (Moss lined up in the slot left and ran a deep post.) Davis was in coverage on that play, just as Taylor was yesterday. Ware was partly to blame because he didn't get a good jam on Moss, but it still was Davis' coverage. The Commanders didn't even have someone jam Glenn. Holdman was closest to him, but he never even looked at Glenn.

firehawk350

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
If Newman been given sole responsibility for Moss last year that's a 13-0 game. This game your offense generated 3 points on the strength of 2 15 yard penalties. There's really no big difference.

I completely disagree, what killed Moss was Brunell or the playcalling... Newman's coverage was good, but there were a couple of times i saw Moss with enough space to make a play if brunell would just stop trying to scramble and just end up running straight into a rusher.

But as for last year, you can make a case for Newman making the play on the 70 yard catch (he might have made the tackle but i dont think he would have knocked the ball down), but as for the 39 yarder, there was no way Newman would have got that ball.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
I completely disagree, what killed Moss was Brunell or the playcalling... Newman's coverage was good, but there were a couple of times i saw Moss with enough space to make a play if brunell would just stop trying to scramble and just end up running straight into a rusher.

But as for last year, you can make a case for Newman making the play on the 70 yard catch (he might have made the tackle but i dont think he would have knocked the ball down), but as for the 39 yarder, there was no way Newman would have got that ball.

:rolleyes:

You've got to be kidding me. The pass was almost INTERCEPTED by Glenn. I think it's safe to say Newman would of provided tighter coverage. If newman is covering Moss on that play, it's an INT or incomplete pass. Period.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
firehawk350 said:

The fact is that Newman did such a good job on Moss last year that the Commanders had to intentionally scheme Moss away from Newman for him to do anything.

He just couldn't get away from Newman this year.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
The fact is that Newman did such a good job on Moss last year that the Commanders had to intentionally scheme Moss away from Newman for him to do anything.

He just couldn't get away from Newman this year.

Yes, it's amazing how much better Brunell got at throwing the ball to Moss during the few plays Newman went out during the second game last year.

With Newman in the game and shadowing Moss, Moss had zero catches. Newman gets hurt, and THE VERY NEXT PLAY, Brunell completed a 42-yard pass to Moss against Aaron Glenn.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Kevin said:
First things first, congratulations on your victory. I didn't come here to make petty excuses, or tell you how you're in for a beating next time. I just came to give a Commander's fan view of the game, which believe it or not is slightly more elaborate than, "Wow, we sucked."

Personally, I don't think either team played too well. Obviously the Commanders were far worse off, primarily on offense, but the Cowboys have some kinks to work out as well. The dropped passes and penalties are going to be a problem for you guys, but luckily you went up against a team that was so obviously unprepared it didn't even matter.

There were 3 people that are ultimately responsible for the loss the Commanders took tonight.

1. Mark Brunell - Mark, have you forgotten that you are actually capable of being a good Quarterback? This guy proved last year that he still had it in him, but I think he's proving that he's not capable of operating a new offense. What the hell is with the dropping back? When you drop back 15 freaking yards, you're going to have to throw the ball 25 yards to get a 10 yard game. Simple math, yet you continue to drop back marathons.

Brunell's doesn't have the strongest arm. He keep choosing to throw these sideline routes where it seems like the ball takes two seconds to get to his target. If this guy wants success he needs to start working the seams- the sideline crap isn't cutting it.

Find a happy medium- he's either holding onto the ball way too long, or letting go way too early. The guy will throw the ball away when he's still got a few seconds to look for something developing, yet he'll hold onto the ball when it's obvious there is nothin' doin'.

Brunell was bad out there. Real bad. I've been a Brunell supporter this entire offseason and all last year, but he proved to me tonight that the lights are dimming.

2. Al Saunders - What the hell? We've got a stellar recieving core in Moss, Lloyd and Randle El, not to mention Cooley, yet every other play was a dump off to Ladell Betts. What is with the run on first and second down philosophy? One would think that after we have like 65 bloody 3rd and longs we'd throw the ball. I'm still willing to see how this guy's playcalling developes, but he was just straight up dumb tonight.

Of course we can attribute some of the lack of offense to a great performance by the Cowboys secondary, but I think it was primarily terrible playcalling by Saunders, which put us in horriblely obvious situations, and Brunell's straight up abysmal performance.

It's a very, very primitive concept. Get the ball in the hands of your playmaker. Santana Moss is our playmaker. Last week we ran like six wide reciever screens. This week, until that last meaningless drive, Moss touched the ball twice. He had the medium gain catch, and thirty yard or so reverse. Why wouldn't either give him a screen, or take a shot downfield at least once? It is how we beat this team last year, afterall.

3. Gregg Williams - Where are the blitz packages? For someone who's so famed for having such efficient blitz setups, he sure was entirely too conservative tonight. Especially with the lack of pressure from our front four.
Some other observations:

Of course I'm sure the Roy Williams vs Sean Taylor debate is hot as ever, as both of them made cases for 'who is the better safety.' Both played well tonight, Taylor with a few big hits and the forced fumble, and Williams with the 3rd and 1 stop and the Interception. (The TD to Glenn was not Taylor's fault. He was trying to cover for whoever blew that coverage.)

I still stand by what I said awhile ago about these two: Commanders fans will always think Taylor is better, and the same goes for Cowboys fans and Williams. No matter how they play, those ideas will always be engraved in my mind. I will say however, that anyone who said Sean Taylor can't put on a big hit (believe me, some people on here have said it) have been quieted. Then again, everyone who said the Skins would win were also quieted.

It's so hard to remember some times that it's the beginning of the season. We're 0-2, you are 1-1. Both of those starts are dissapointing considering the esteem we hold our teams in. This loss was demoralizing in every way, but even so, we're only one game out of the 3 way tie. There's a lot of football to be played.

Overall I think the Commanders beat themselves moreso than the Cowboys did. The pass interference on the 5 yardline really helped you guys out in the momentum game, and you hardly looked back after that. Even the kickoff return wasn't enough to really make an impact.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. Hopefully the refs will be a little less quick to their flags and let the players play a bit. There were entirely too many flags for both teams tonight.

Congratulations once again. You guys wrote this chapter of our rivalries book, and there's no denying you outplayed us. I can only hope the next chapter plays out a bit differently. Good luck to you all.

Kevin

Quite simply. Even though we played bad.... we STILL own the Commanders. If not for MANY dropped passes.... Skins couldnt stop us.... just like 1st game last year.... I say we start our winning streak again..... go for 20 stright this time. Thanks for your post Kevin.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
Any 50 yard plays called back?

I don't remember the Commanders having any major plays negated by penalties. I think their corners got penalized more than anyone.

In fact, I think a penalty or two saved them from some negative plays.....

That false start by Jansen took away an interception by Bradie James... could have been a TD the other way. Gibbs was happy they got the penalty there:laugh1:

DLCassidy

Reaction score
firehawk350 said:

:laugh2:

MarkBrunell

Benched
Reaction score
I had a horrible game. Im a horrible starting QB and I hope I get benched this week against the Texans for the young star Jason Campbell

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MarkBrunell said:
I had a horrible game. Im a horrible starting QB and I hope I get benched this week against the Texans for the young star Jason Campbell

Go to the free clinic, it will make you feel better about yourself.:D

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Taylor is supposed to be the backup for the slot WR (Glenn). Glenn ran a deep crossing route and Taylor just didn't pick him up. To Taylor's credit, he's put in a tough situation because they have both Glenn and Owens over there, so he has to quickly recognize the play and then figure out what receiver he's supposed to help out on.

It's a risky defensive package that Williams runs quite often and you will see teams from time to time capitalize on it like we did. The other problem is that I'm pretty sure Marshall was supposed to get a bump on Glenn, but didn't. You'd be shocked on how many big plays happen when the LB doesn't get a bump on the WR.

YAKUZA

Rich, I see your point. I remember a play against the Raiders last year where Taylor picked up Moss on the outside in a zone scheme only to leave Marshall locked up on Jerry Porter streaking down the seam for a long TD.