A comment about players being interviewed at the combine

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I'm seeing a tone a posts about the Cowboys interviewing "this player" or "that player" at the combine, follwed by the assumption that we are interviewing these players because we are interested in drafting them. I don't buy into that assumption too tightly.

Teams interview a lot of players at the combine, eeach year, most of which they don't draft and don't sign as free-agents afterwards. I believe that the combine interviews are mostly designed for teams to gain additional information on the players they talk to, to gain as much info on them as possible. That's because unless they draft these players they won't have access to them once other teams draft them.

I remebmer reading an article once where one teams GM (not Dallas') was was asked why he talked to players he had no shot at drafting or no desire to draft. The GM went on to explain that the interviews were not so much about the upcoming draft but about future free-agency. He said this was most imprtant for players he had no desire of immediatley drafting. He didn't want to draft them because they needed development. But if he saw them developing well on another team for several years, thet he may look to them as potential free agent aquisitions if they showed to have good character and mental toughness in their combine interview.

Food for thought !