A Cool Brees

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
A COOL BREES
Let's see what happens in the playoffs first. But it looks like the Chargers have no choice but to team together quarterbacks Drew Brees and Philip Rivers for another season.

Either Drew Brees or Philip Rivers could be the highest paid backup in the NFL in 2005.
All it will take is to franchise Brees for next season, paying him a salary of about $9 million. Easy enough, particularly with San Diego scheduled to be way under the salary cap.

There just seems to be no way to let Brees walk now, despite his preference for a multi-year contract.

"I want a long-term commitment from the Chargers -- if not the Chargers, then from someone else," Brees said. "I'm of the belief that I want to be loyal to an organization, and I want an organization to be loyal to me. I understand there's not too much of that left in the NFL because it is such a business, and with free agency and everything else, it's a crazy deal. But I want a long-term commitment, I can tell you that."

Teams such as the Bears, Dolphins or Browns would love to give him one. But San Diego would be out of its head if it let him.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8073356