A Couple Of QB Questions

Thomas82

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody would be able to answer a couple of questions that I have about NFL quarterbacks. I have a little bit of understanding about these 2 subjects, but would like more, and the little bit that I do understand I have trouble putting into words.

Here are my questions:

1.) It has been said that when you draft a franchise QB and he turns out to be a bust, it sets your franchise back at least 5 years. What is it besides the contract, bonuses, etc. that factor in that?

2.) I know that 3rd string QBs are emergency QBs and can only play if the 2 QBs in front on him get hurt. What's the 3rd string QB's primary role? What is the purpose for him carrying the clipboard and wearing a headset? It has been said that in sports that career backup, like a 3rd string QB generally turn out to be the best coaches, Why is that?

Thanks in advance

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Thomas82;2507232 said:
I was wondering if anybody would be able to answer a couple of questions that I have about NFL quarterbacks. I have a little bit of understanding about these 2 subjects, but would like more, and the little bit that I do understand I have trouble putting into words.

Here are my questions:

1.) It has been said that when you draft a franchise QB and he turns out to be a bust, it sets your franchise back at least 5 years. What is it besides the contract, bonuses, etc. that factor in that?

That's a generalization and isn't always the case. Usually when you invest a high draft pick in a QB and give him a huge contract (take JaMarcus Russell for example) it could be a couple of years before you are in position to select and pay another guy like that. It also takes a few years before you know for sure that a guy is a bust so by the time you figure that out and make cap room, get into position to select at the top of the draft it could be 5 years.

You also tend to build around a player like that.

2.) I know that 3rd string QBs are emergency QBs and can only play if the 2 QBs in front on him get hurt. What's the 3rd string QB's primary role? What is the purpose for him carrying the clipboard and wearing a headset? It has been said that in sports that career backup, like a 3rd string QB generally turn out to be the best coaches, Why is that?

They also run the scout team and on some teams that means they play the opponent for the starting defense in practice. In other words they try to emulate the upcoming team's offense. It gives them a good understanding of what other teams do on offense as well as their own. Often times they play for a couple of teams in their careers which again gives them a broader experience of different offenses.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Thomas82;2507232 said:

Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance

1. Much of that has to do with the investment in the player during his tenure. After a team has invested so much in a young QB, it's not very often you invest much more at the position until that player either succeeds or fails. It's an investment in time as much as it is money.

2. I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but IIRC, 3rd string QB's and 'emergency QB's are not the same thing. 3rd stringers can travel with the team, but don't' have to be activated. So, in a sense, they are only there in case of an emergency. :D

Emergency QB's can be guys like Crayton. Field players with QB skills.

3rd and 2nd stringers seem to end up as the best coaches because they spend the majority of their time studying. Off the field, during practice (scout team), and on the sideline. They're helping the coaches evaluate games.

...but I'm no expert with that stuff.

Reaction score
THUMPER;2507245 said:
That's a generalization and isn't always the case. Usually when you invest a high draft pick in a QB and give him a huge contract (take JaMarcus Russell for example) it could be a couple of years before you are in position to select and pay another guy like that. It also takes a few years before you know for sure that a guy is a bust so by the time you figure that out and make cap room, get into position to select at the top of the draft it could be 5 years.

You also tend to build around a player like that.

They also run the scout team and on some teams that means they play the opponent for the starting defense in practice. In other words they try to emulate the upcoming team's offense. It gives them a good understanding of what other teams do on offense as well as their own. Often times they play for a couple of teams in their careers which again gives them a broader experience of different offenses.

3rd stringers also tend to be a quarterback that a team feels they can develop. A younger player (if the team decides to go with 3 QBs) that shows some promise, but must be "polished" a bit. For example...Romo I belive started as a 3rd string QB during the Parcells days.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2507318 said:
3rd stringers also tend to be a quarterback that a team feels they can develop. A younger player (if the team decides to go with 3 QBs) that shows some promise, but must be "polished" a bit. For example...Romo I belive started as a 3rd string QB during the Parcells days.

He did, and came awfully close to being cut in 2004. Too bad for Quincy Carter.