A Cowboy fan’s dream

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you and sympathize with some of your frustrations about Jerry the GM.

i too have my concerns about the job he’s done as GM. There have been many decisions that I disagree with.

But, as an owner, the man is incredible. One of the greatest to ever be part of the NFL. A true innovator when it comes to revenue generation and building franchise value. He was the prime mover of the NFL going to Fox which vaulted the league’s status to the richest in sport. His ad marketing strategies set the blueprint for other owners and the league. He, more than anyone, has shown his fellow owners how to make money and elevate the NFL to the level of media, cultural and financial domination that we see today.

What he has done as an owner is going to be legendary when the book is closed. He could likely go down a the greatest owner in NFL history

When it comes to his actions with the Cowboys as owner of the team, that’s also pretty incredible don’t you think? What do we ask of owners? Number one is spend money. Spend lots of it. Jerry has never shirked from sinking hundreds of millions into the team. The stadium, the Star, training camp. No expense is too high and quality is always excellent. Only the absolute best will do for our players, coaches and football people.

The one area where his owner responsibilities could be questioned would be head coaching decisions. That line is really blurred here as to whether that’s on the GM or Owner side of things. Typically coaching hires and fires are done by the GM but with the owners buy-in and approval.

Personally, I never had a problem with the firing of Landry. It had to happen. I also felt that the Jimmy/Jerry split had plenty of blame for both of them. Letting Garrett hang around as long as he did was a mistake so if that’s an owner failing, then I’m ok with that.

Anyway, knock him for his work as a GM. Much of that criticism is well deserved. But, if you are able to separate your feelings about the two roles, I think you might see things a bit differently about the ownership side of things
I have one question for you regarding this owner/GM connection. What is the primary job of the owner?

Is it not to hire the GM and let him run the football operation side of it? Has this owner done that? He didn't even hire a full time GM, he's doesn't do the heavy lifting the other GM's have to do. He just walks around shooting off his mouth.

You ask what do we ask of owners? Number one is spend money? No, it is not. Number one is to run the team properly.

Years back, he was asked why he didn't hire a GM and the answer was the most revealing thing he's ever said. He said another GM might be too fearful of his job to take the risks he's willing to take. Think about that thinking. It is about doing what he wants to do, wildcatting with a NFL team and playing big shot. It has nothing to do with buidling a winning team.

That stadium and the Star and all the rest of that glitzy crap exists for one reason. He made the right hire and got the hell out of the football operation and let someone far more qualified to build a team do so. That 180'd his team from the red to the black and he was able to exploit the history of a proud franchise into billions. If not for that, he sells the team and is out of the NFL.

He's a crappy owner because of who he hired as the GM. He gives new pathetic meaning to family owned and operated.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have one question for you regarding this owner/GM connection. What is the primary job of the owner?

Is it not to hire the GM and let him run the football operation side of it? Has this owner done that? He didn't even hire a full time GM, he's doesn't do the heavy lifting the other GM's have to do. He just walks around shooting off his mouth.

You ask what do we ask of owners? Number one is spend money? No, it is not. Number one is to run the team properly.

Years back, he was asked why he didn't hire a GM and the answer was the most revealing thing he's ever said. He said another GM might be too fearful of his job to take the risks he's willing to take. Think about that thinking. It is about doing what he wants to do, wildcatting with a NFL team and playing big shot. It has nothing to do with buidling a winning team.

That stadium and the Star and all the rest of that glitzy crap exists for one reason. He made the right hire and got the hell out of the football operation and let someone far more qualified to build a team do so. That 180'd his team from the red to the black and he was able to exploit the history of a proud franchise into billions. If not for that, he sells the team and is out of the NFL.

He's a crappy owner because of who he hired as the GM. He gives new pathetic meaning to family owned and operated.
Absolute truth coach.

I would add this: What most fans want from their favorite team’s owner is NOT to give them a glitzy stadium or to be “the most profitable franchise in sports”- what fans want is to win another championship...or even just get close!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolute truth coach.

I would add this: What most fans want from their favorite team’s owner is NOT to give them a glitzy stadium or to be “the most profitable franchise in sports”- what fans want is to win another championship...or even just get close!
Most of all just make every effort to do so.

The Browns have suked for a long time but they keep trying. I’d rather be in that situation than ours. At some point they have a better shot of finally hitting than we do with an owner who isn’t doing everything within his power.

Coach is right on . We still have fans though that continue to expect different results out of just false hope. Jerry loves them. Lol

75boyz

Reaction score
Jerry doesnt see it that way.

He thinks that his hands on ways and his mouth are an asset to the team.

If a guy like MM turns things around, itll be in spite of Jerry. I don't have high hopes.

This COULD get way worse and its possible a lot of us older folks could have seen the last of any type of real success from this team.

All because of one delusional egomaniac.

A very strong possibility I feel as well. Especially the "could get worse" part.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You hate the Cowboys ownership. Got it.

Do you long for the good old days of Clint Murchison? Murchison was a weird dude and wouldn’t survive one year as an NFL owner in the Internet age. They would have ran him off. Significant mob ties, gambling on NFL games, running off with G Brandt’s wife. The list goes on.

But, nostalgia is intoxicating

All I can say is thank God for Tex

https://thelandryhat.com/2013/04/11/clint-murchison-craziest-dallas-cowboys-owner-ever/

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicati...he-cowboys-really-belong-in-the-hall-of-fame/
Now, this is quite telling. Doesn't surprise me at all.

75boyz

Reaction score

Coach,
For lack of better words or Heck, maybe not, your post here should be some kinda Required Reading.
Incredible post and fully agree with ya.

Kwyn

Reaction score

I won’t argue with much of what you said. We may differ a bit on the value and importance of the business side of things.

Art Model
Bill Bidwell
Georgia Frontierre

All three cheap and cared nothing about their fans as they moved cities just to cash checks. Can you imagine if Jerry had moved the Cowboys to LA? Think it’s impossible? Just ask fans of those other teams who saw their owner sell them out

Maybe Jerry would have done better in a sport like MLB where you can spend as much as you want. I imagine if there was no salary cap, Pat Mahomes could very well be the next Dallas Cowboy QB. We know he would spend any amount of money to win a Super Bowl. I admire that passion even if the reality and the limitations of the league don’t make room for it.

George Steinbrenner did ok. Sure he had a “GM”, just like the Cowboys have Will McClay. Al Davis did it with great results until he went off the rails.

I agree that having an owner who also wants to be GM can be a nightmare at times but what are you gonna do? It’s just part of the environment at this point.

I’ve wished many times it was different, but I think it’s got it’s good and bad, like most everything else

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It’s ok for a fan to dream...right?

So what if in the coming offseason and all through the draft, training camp, preseason and the entire 2020 regular season and playoffs, the Jones boys just stopped talking in public? They still show up for work every day and stay engaged, sign the checks, etc., but from an appropriate distance (like all the teams that have won the last 24 Super Bowls) and with no TV or radio appearances.

We would all love it if the only talking heads for the next 12 months were Mike McCarthy and maybe Will McClay. What a refreshing change that would be! Think of all the garbage we would no longer have to put up with on a regular basis:
  • No more Jerry in his pretend coaching gear at training camp literally talking absolute nonsense for a solid hour while every reporter in sight tries hard to pretend he’s not crazy.
  • No more Stephen or Jerry radio shows (yes plural) where they tell us almost nothing of real value and consistently undermine their head coach.
  • No more post game drivel from the only GM in the league who thinks it’s appropriate to hold a press conference to talk about the game before checking in with his head coach. There’s a reason the good GMs don’t do that- It’s stupid.
  • No more impromptu press conferences from Jerry at the draft or TC. In fact, how about Jerry isn’t even at training camp? What a concept.
  • No more Jerry breaking the “Guinness Book of World Records” on how many times someone can say “Uh” in a press conference! LOL! Because he follows a gag order!
Yes, I know most responses to this will be “that will never happen”, or “he’s the owner- he can do whatever he wants.” Yada, yada.

Well I’m a long suffering fan still dreaming of the day my favorite team since 1964 will once again hoist a Lombardi. If that dream isn’t crazy, then maybe dreaming of a day when the Jones boys realize they are the biggest problem this team has isn’t so crazy either.
You're a glutton for punishment.
I respect that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're a glutton for punishment.
I respect that.
Lol! I’m too old to worry about what other people think of my hot sports opinions. It’s fun to occasionally throw some shade at the Jones cartel who are accountable to no one other than the fans who call them out.

GMO415

Reaction score
Or you could just choose to ignore all the above things the Joneses do. It's a choice. They do them and you do you.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

I have no issue with JJ the GM I have problem with him as an owner .JJ sees the Cowboys as an entertainment company with a sport theme he is making money out of it and that is the ultimate goal for him.

JJ wears too many hats