A Dallas Cowboys hopeful aims to be the first Mexican-born player on an NFL roster

shabazz

Reaction score
As someone with deep symbolic Mexican heritage (ie. incessant taco consumption)... I find this whole ongoing narrative insulting to all parties involved.

FAKE.STUFF.SUCKS.

Mexico kicks our arse in real football (soccer) most every year, and often out-does us in our longheld "past-time" of Baseball. They don't care squat about some guy pretending to be meaningful to the Cowboys when everyone knows he's a marketing prop.
Yup, just like the Rams were coerced into selecting Michael Sam in the draft even though most teams execs knew he wasn't NFL caliber talent.

This turned out to be true as Michael couldn't even cut it in the CFL.

Meritocracy is the fairest and most efficient way to do business

In these cases my thoughts always go to the person that really deserved a shot but was left out because of the need for optics

Praxit

Reaction score
......this guy has his work cut out for him. Hopefully, he evolved to make the difference. Good luck.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You may be right, but you'd think if they didn't really believe he had a shot, they would have let him go.
He was an NFL roster exemption for three years, that's why he remained here but that has ended and so is his time on the Cowboys.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's ridiculous to think the Cowboys have to keep him around to make their Mexican fans happy. Those fans were there long before this addition and will continue to be there long after he's gone. He has the size and athleticism combo to work with and put in the time with the coaches for 3 years. I won't be surprised if he shows some spark in preseason and at least makes the practice squad.

Motorola

Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They can put him on the practice squad, he just doesn't have the exemption anymore.
And that's his best path. It's too much to expect him to be successful enough his first year in his switch to defense to make the 53. Plus, he's got Hankins and Mazi ahead of him at NT. Maybe if he shows enough to make the PS, he might be in consideration next year when Hankins is no longer under contract.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was an NFL roster exemption for three years, that's why he remained here but that has ended and so is his time on the Cowboys.
Yeah I realize that but they didn't need to bring him back it's already expired. So what's the point bringing back just to cut him?
Quinn or somebody must have seen something worth exploring or use as a emergency OT.

csirl

Reaction score
Ex Cowboy Luis Zendejas was also born in Mexico. Have been quite a few Mexicans in the NFL over the years. Article is a product of lazy journalism.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah I realize that but they didn't need to bring him back it's already expired. So what's the point bringing back just to cut him?
Quinn or somebody must have seen something worth exploring or use as a emergency OT.
Much more likely=in play: the Owner\GM keeping Isaac Alarcon Garcia around for a Cowboys 2024 regular season game in Mexico City.
The only regular season game Dallas has not played on American soil was nine years ago (2014 in London). The ten-year nonappearance in a foreign country is second only to Pittsburgh's 11-year span.
Jones put out the dictum that Alarcon remains on the team = practice squad through the 2023 season.
Then follows it up that he remains a Cowboys player in 2024, when the NFL schedules Dallas to have a regular season game in Mexico City.
It will be a Sunday night \ Monday night game.
The NFL might even get together with FIFA to schedule a friendly between USA and Mexico the day before, or earlier that day of the NFL game (Men's Team\ Women's Team \ both?).
Just spitballing.