A different kind of mock draft...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Messages
24,195
Reaction score
25
Different, in that I'm not gonna talk about what players I personally think the Cowboys should look at... instead, I'm gonna take the list of 41 players that we know the Cowboys have shown interest in to this point, and rank them according to their draft grades at this point, to see if we can come up with a kind of "value board" for each of the Cowboys' picks... there are players on this list that I really don't care all that much for...

Pick 1a-- 11th overall

Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn (would require trading up)
Mike Williams, WR, USC (would also require a trade up)
Shawne Merriman, DE/OLB, Maryland
Marcus Spears, DE/DT, LSU
Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

Pick 1b-- 20th overall

Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC
Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham
Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma

2nd round-- 42nd overall

Ernest Shazor, S/LB, Michigan
Matt Jones, WR/TE, Arkansas
Jonathan Babineaux, DT/DE, Iowa
Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma
Terrence Murphy, WR, Texas A&M
Josh Bullocks, FS, Nebraska

3rd round-- in the event of a trade

Reggie Brown, WR, Georgia
Adam Snyder, OG/OT, Oregon
Courtney Roby, WR, Indiana
Eric Shelton, RB, Louisville
Fred Gibson, WR, Georgia
Chris Kemoeatu, OG, Utah

4th round

Claude Terrell, OG, New Mexico
Ray Willis, OT, Florida State
Bill Swancutt, DE, Oregon State
Gerald Sensabaugh, FS, North Carolina
Jim Davis, DE, Virginia Tech
Dustin Colquitt, P, Tennessee

5th round

Steve Savoy, WR, Utah
Junius Coston, C, North Carolina A&T
Sione Pouha, DT, Utah
George Gause, DE, South Carolina
Leroy Hill, LB/S, Clemson

We really don't have enough input on later round draft picks to project the 6th and 7th round picks at this point... working from this list of alternatives for this pick, I'd be quite happy with a draft that looked like this through the first 5 rounds:

1a) Shawne Merriman, DE/OLB, Maryland
1b) Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham
2) Josh Bullocks, FS, Nebraska
4) Ray Willis, OT, Florida State
5) Sione Pouha, DT, Utah
 

Qwickdraw

Benched
Messages
5,451
Reaction score
0
Not bad at all.
I, however, really like the value of James Butler FS who could be acquired later than Bullocks freeing up that 2nd round pick for another position.
 

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Messages
24,195
Reaction score
25
Qwickdraw said:
Not bad at all.
I, however, really like the value of James Butler FS who could be acquired later than Bullocks freeing up that 2nd round pick for another position.

I like Butler, too... I just haven't heard that the Boys have shown any special interest in him... however, that's not saying they're NOT interested...

Like I said, I just thought it would be fun to rate the players the Boys have paid special interest to, and see how they'd work out on a draft value board...
 

JGleas

Draft Expert
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
silverbear said:
I like Butler, too... I just haven't heard that the Boys have shown any special interest in him... however, that's not saying they're NOT interested...

Like I said, I just thought it would be fun to rate the players the Boys have paid special interest to, and see how they'd work out on a draft value board...
If we manage to trade down sometime and grab a 3rd Round pick, and we hadn't addresed the FS problem and Butler is left, it would be an amazing pick. 44-Inch vertical, that is crazy.
 

cobra

Salty *******
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
0
silverbear, out of curiosity, why don't you think the Cowboys have shown interest in Clayton? Isn't he coming in here soon for a workout? I only ask because I would rather have him than Roddy White and MUCH rather than Clayton at #20 than Williamson at #11 (assuming they are both there and we go WR at that spot).
 

Hoov

Senior Member
Messages
6,026
Reaction score
1,184
cobra said:
silverbear, out of curiosity, why don't you think the Cowboys have shown interest in Clayton? Isn't he coming in here soon for a workout? I only ask because I would rather have him than Roddy White and MUCH rather than Clayton at #20 than Williamson at #11 (assuming they are both there and we go WR at that spot).

or Pollack for that matter, though most people beleived he was a "parcells" guy
 

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Messages
24,195
Reaction score
25
cobra said:
silverbear, out of curiosity, why don't you think the Cowboys have shown interest in Clayton? Isn't he coming in here soon for a workout? I only ask because I would rather have him than Roddy White and MUCH rather than Clayton at #20 than Williamson at #11 (assuming they are both there and we go WR at that spot).

Clayton should have been on my list, at pick 20... that was an oversight on my part, sorry...

You might want to take another look at Roddy White, though; he didn't exactly play for a pass-happy offense, but I sure do like the scouting reports on the guy... the way they describe his physical style of play, he sounds like the second coming of Michael Irvin (hopefully without the off-field issues)...
 

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Messages
31,439
Reaction score
3,961
silverbear said:
Clayton should have been on my list, at pick 20... that was an oversight on my part, sorry...

You might want to take another look at Roddy White, though; he didn't exactly play for a pass-happy offense, but I sure do like the scouting reports on the guy... the way they describe his physical style of play, he sounds like the second coming of Michael Irvin (hopefully without the off-field issues)...

Roddy White is one player I would love to see us end up with...
 

cobra

Salty *******
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
0
Fair enough. I will take a close look at Roddy White, silverbear. I respect your analysis, so I will take a closer look to see what he has. I still would rather have Clayton at 20 than Williams at 11 or 20. But I'll check out Roddy to see what I think.

Do you think Roddy would be too early at #20? I don't want to use my 2nd on WR, because I want to draft Bullocks in the 2nd (or Blackstock if he is, by some miracle, still there),
 

JGleas

Draft Expert
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
trickblue said:
Roddy White is one player I would love to see us end up with...
let me finish that sentence. It should end like this,"I would love to see us end up with, in the 2nd Round."
 

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Messages
31,439
Reaction score
3,961
JGleas said:
let me finish that sentence. It should end like this,"I would love to see us end up with, in the 2nd Round."

yes... there is a chance he may be there in the early second...

and I would imagine us having multiple second round picks at that point...
 

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Messages
30,782
Reaction score
1
silverbear said:
Different, in that I'm not gonna talk about what players I personally think the Cowboys should look at... instead, I'm gonna take the list of 41 players that we know the Cowboys have shown interest in to this point, and rank them according to their draft grades at this point, to see if we can come up with a kind of "value board" for each of the Cowboys' picks... there are players on this list that I really don't care all that much for...

Pick 1a-- 11th overall

Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn (would require trading up)
Mike Williams, WR, USC (would also require a trade up)
Shawne Merriman, DE/OLB, Maryland
Marcus Spears, DE/DT, LSU
Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

Pick 1b-- 20th overall

Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC
Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham
Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma

2nd round-- 42nd overall

Ernest Shazor, S/LB, Michigan
Matt Jones, WR/TE, Arkansas
Jonathan Babineaux, DT/DE, Iowa
Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma
Terrence Murphy, WR, Texas A&M
Josh Bullocks, FS, Nebraska

3rd round-- in the event of a trade

Reggie Brown, WR, Georgia
Adam Snyder, OG/OT, Oregon
Courtney Roby, WR, Indiana
Eric Shelton, RB, Louisville
Fred Gibson, WR, Georgia
Chris Kemoeatu, OG, Utah

4th round

Claude Terrell, OG, New Mexico
Ray Willis, OT, Florida State
Bill Swancutt, DE, Oregon State
Gerald Sensabaugh, FS, North Carolina
Jim Davis, DE, Virginia Tech
Dustin Colquitt, P, Tennessee

5th round

Steve Savoy, WR, Utah
Junius Coston, C, North Carolina A&T
Sione Pouha, DT, Utah
George Gause, DE, South Carolina
Leroy Hill, LB/S, Clemson

We really don't have enough input on later round draft picks to project the 6th and 7th round picks at this point... working from this list of alternatives for this pick, I'd be quite happy with a draft that looked like this through the first 5 rounds:

1a) Shawne Merriman, DE/OLB, Maryland
1b) Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham
2) Josh Bullocks, FS, Nebraska
4) Ray Willis, OT, Florida State
5) Sione Pouha, DT, Utah

Merriman scares me some...I wont go ape if we take him, but he is a boom or bust type IMO

I think White wont go in round 1, and I certainly dont want him at 20...doubt Ray Willis falls to the 4th rd either but think he would be a solid pick for us...Pouha is listed in several places as a massive underachiever but might be worth a gamble on ability alone in rd 5 or 6...not much difference between him, Albert Means and Alabama DT Anthony Bryant...

David
 

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Messages
30,782
Reaction score
1
silverbear said:
Clayton should have been on my list, at pick 20... that was an oversight on my part, sorry...

You might want to take another look at Roddy White, though; he didn't exactly play for a pass-happy offense, but I sure do like the scouting reports on the guy... the way they describe his physical style of play, he sounds like the second coming of Michael Irvin (hopefully without the off-field issues)...

he isnt...

David
 
Top