Recap: A few more data points from Sirius NFL Radio: Cosell, Rappaport, Archer

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE this period of the season, being right on the cusp of the draft.

Right now, the rumors and smoke are at a fever pitch. It's difficult to keep one's mind on work.

I have had the NFL Channel on Sirrius XM all morning, and can't wait until tonight.

Anyway, Greg Cosell was on this morning in his usual time slot (Thursdays at 6:30 AM ET) on Ross Tucker's show (Morning Kickoff, Opening Drive). He's a pretty impressive analyst (much more informed than his father was, IMO).

Every year, Ross and Greg run a mock on the day of the draft. Ross took the odd picks, Greg the even ones. They picked based on who they thought should be picked based on talent and fit for each team.

Greg Cosell picked DeForest Buckner for the Cowboys at #4. He said that although there was a tremendous amount of talent available at that pick, he thought that Buckner has a chance to be a really special player (relentless motor), could fortify the defensive line, and finally be the push becomes the difference maker in this defense. Interesting take.

Ian Rappaport was up later. He echoed what has become the prevailing conventional wisdom. If Jalen Ramsey is there, he is the pick at #4. If not, they REALLY like Zeke Elliot.

Todd Archer was just on. He says the same thing. Jalen Ramsey if he is available. Zeke Elliot if Ramsey has been picked. Thinks Ramsey would have greater impact (since McFadden and Randle didn't do poorly last year) - they do view him as a CB, but they could move him around (Byron Jones is definitely slated at FS for this year).

Thinks Rod would not favor Buckner or Bosa because no "quick twitch." Talked to the team about Sheldon Rankins - his impression of their response was that there was no way they would pick him at #4, but might consider him in a trade-back scenario.

On QB, Archer thought they will draft a QB (may move back into 1, but only for Lynch). If they draft Zeke in the first, they won't move up to get the QB - they'll sit in the second and go defense.

GO COWBOYS!

gmoney112

Reaction score
I wish there was more insight into the 2+ round picks. The #4 has been discussed to death but I haven't seen much of anything regarding the rest of the draft. The visits seem to indicate WR and DL, and to a lesser extent RB, but hardly any chatter on guys they like besides a few they coached up at the Senior Bowl like Day and Ward.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
I wish there was more insight into the 2+ round picks. The #4 has been discussed to death but I haven't seen much of anything regarding the rest of the draft. The visits seem to indicate WR and DL, and to a lesser extent RB, but hardly any chatter on guys they like besides a few they coached up at the Senior Bowl like Day and Ward.

this right here. have no clue how the rest of the draft is going to turn out.....well its not like i know how the first part is going to go but at least we have an idea lol

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Todd Archer was just on. He says the same thing. Jalen Ramsey if he is available. Zeke Elliot if Ramsey has been picked. Thinks Ramsey would have greater impact (since McFadden and Randle didn't do poorly last year) - they do view him as a CB, but they could move him around (Byron Jones is definitely slated at FS for this year).

There is conjecture that Ramsey is asked to do what Jones did last year, which is move around.

How on earth is that "impact" for the 4th overall choice?

boysfanindc

Reaction score
You mean like Jones didn't do with regularity in this defensive scheme?

Outstanding, where do I sign up?

I love these answers, point to one guy you feel did not, so now I have to point to one CB who did, then you get to say no way and I get to say yes way.

You asked a question of how a player could be a value @ 4 who does not have one defined position (his first year) and I told you how they could.

And who says he won't have a defined position.

bb721

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE this period of the season, being right on the cusp of the draft.

Right now, the rumors and smoke are at a fever pitch. It's difficult to keep one's mind on work.

I have had the NFL Channel on Sirrius XM all morning, and can't wait until tonight.

Anyway, Greg Cosell was on this morning in his usual time slot (Thursdays at 6:30 AM ET) on Ross Tucker's show (Morning Kickoff, Opening Drive). He's a pretty impressive analyst (much more informed than his father was, IMO).

Good info. Just a side note, Greg Cosell is Howard's nephew, not his son.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is conjecture that Ramsey is asked to do what Jones did last year, which is move around.

How on earth is that "impact" for the 4th overall choice?

Exactly! You don't draft a player at #4 with the intent of moving him around. It is hard enough for a rookie to learn a pro system and catch up to NFL speed.