A few random thoughts from Verdict

Verdict

Reaction score
1. The Cowboys organization has plenty of things that fans rightly have angst over, (and to be critical of) but they are not nearly as inept as many make them out to be.

2. Every off season season contains a myriad of crossroads and infinite possibilities. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they won’t. Sometimes a plan of action falls apart due to no fault of the Cowboys.

3. My biggest complaint of the Cowboys is the tendency to overpay their own, overestimate talent that exists on the team, and a failure to move on from players.

4. Dak is the most polarizing player on the Cowboys right now, and the Cowboys have multiple options with how to approach this issue. There are merits and detractions with each option available. Having said that it is THE most overarching crossroads that the Cowboys can have major implications on the team going forward.

5. The salary cap is a real thing. Hard decisions will have to be made with CeeDee, Dak, Parsons, Diggs, and all of the top 10 contracts on the team.

6. It’s not going to be possible to pay everyone what many will call “market value”.

7. Just because the market dictates what a player can command on the open market does not mean that it is a sound move for the Cowboys to pay that player market value to keep said player.

8. I DO NOT believe that going all in (leveraging the future cap to fit players in this year) is the way to go. I do not believe that the Cowboys will do that in spite of Jerry saying that.

9. I think that unless Dak is moved (trade, walks in free agency) you have to move on from some of the top 10 players. (Diggs, Martin, Cee Dee, Parsons, etc) or have no depth to speak of. I think this is where the Cowboys are weighing options right now. Hard decisions have to be made.

10. I think think the worst possible scenario regarding Dak is to pay him mega deal money going forward. ($60M+ per year). He’s just not worth that IMHO.

11. When a player has you over a barrel regarding market value/contract numbers, at some point you have to take the barrel instead of paying the player.

12. The margin for error is greater (more forgiving) when risk is spread over a larger area. For instance a player like Parsons (who is going to probably be the largest contract ever for a defensive player) carries inordinate risk, because all of your eggs are in one basket. That player has to continue to perform at a hall of fame level for the duration of that contract to have any chance at breaking even. Even then, the contract price might not be worth it.

If you trade Parsons for say two first round picks (and change) you should get two starters that you have control over for 5 years at less than Parson’s contract would have cost you. Even though no one player replaces Parson’s skill level, maybe two players can accomplish more than Parsons could by himself. You also spread out risk of injury derailing your team and your salary cap.

13. We need to stick with BPA drafting. When we have deviated from that approach and targeted a position (Taco, Joseph, etc) we have historically screwed the proverbial pooch.

14. There is no sure fire formula to the draft, but it would be really nice to move back a few picks and to accumulate picks in this draft. I know we need to fill holes but forcing picks to fill holes does zero for the team in the long run.

15. This team needs to be playing the longer term vision for the team. A tough assessment needs to be made for this team and an honest evaluation of what it is going to take to get this team over the hump.

16. If the team is going to keep Dak as a core piece and pay him accordingly then the team needs to look at the possibility of trading one or more of CeeDee, Parsons, Diggs and Bland for picks at the appropriate time. Each one of these players is worth at least a first round pick and more.

17. If you get two first round picks for Cee Dee, Parsons and/or Diggs you should theoretically be able to replace the said player and fill another hole and keep your cap in relative order.

18. I am not saying trade away all of our great players or any of them, but if you keep Dak you sacrifice one or more of those players and team depth. That’s just the way it is.

19. If I had my way I would move on from Dak and try to make the most of the assets on hand whether via extending them, or swapping them for draft picks and/or players and moving forward.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. The Cowboys organization has plenty of things that fans rightly have angst over, (and to be critical of) but they are not nearly as inept as many make them out to be.

2. Every off season season contains a myriad of crossroads and infinite possibilities. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they won’t. Sometimes a plan of action falls apart due to no fault of the Cowboys.

3. My biggest complaint of the Cowboys is the tendency to overpay their own, overestimate talent that exists on the team, and a failure to move on from players.

4. Dak is the most polarizing player on the Cowboys right now, and the Cowboys have multiple options with how to approach this issue. There are merits and detractions with each option available. Having said that it is THE most overarching crossroads that the Cowboys can have major implications on the team going forward.

5. The salary cap is a real thing. Hard decisions will have to be made with CeeDee, Dak, Parsons, Diggs, and all of the top 10 contracts on the team.

6. It’s not going to be possible to pay everyone what many will call “market value”.

7. Just because the market dictates what a player can command on the open market does not mean that it is a sound move for the Cowboys to pay that player market value to keep said player.

8. I DO NOT believe that going all in (leveraging the future cap to fit players in this year) is the way to go. I do not believe that the Cowboys will do that in spite of Jerry saying that.

9. I think that unless Dak is moved (trade, walks in free agency) you have to move on from some of the top 10 players. (Diggs, Martin, Cee Dee, Parsons, etc) or have no depth to speak of. I think this is where the Cowboys are weighing options right now. Hard decisions have to be made.

10. I think think the worst possible scenario regarding Dak is to pay him mega deal money going forward. ($60M+ per year). He’s just not worth that IMHO.

11. When a player has you over a barrel regarding market value/contract numbers, at some point you have to take the barrel instead of paying the player.

12. The margin for error is greater (more forgiving) when risk is spread over a larger area. For instance a player like Parsons (who is going to probably be the largest contract ever for a defensive player) carries inordinate risk, because all of your eggs are in one basket. That player has to continue to perform at a hall of fame level for the duration of that contract to have any chance at breaking even. Even then, the contract price might not be worth it.

If you trade Parsons for say two first round picks (and change) you should get two starters that you have control over for 5 years at less than Parson’s contract would have cost you. Even though no one player replaces Parson’s skill level, maybe two players can accomplish more than Parsons could by himself. You also spread out risk of injury derailing your team and your salary cap.

13. We need to stick with BPA drafting. When we have deviated from that approach and targeted a position (Taco, Joseph, etc) we have historically screwed the proverbial pooch.

14. There is no sure fire formula to the draft, but it would be really nice to move back a few picks and to accumulate picks in this draft. I know we need to fill holes but forcing picks to fill holes does zero for the team in the long run.

15. This team needs to be playing the longer term vision for the team. A tough assessment needs to be made for this team and an honest evaluation of what it is going to take to get this team over the hump.

16. If the team is going to keep Dak as a core piece and pay him accordingly then the team needs to look at the possibility of trading one or more of CeeDee, Parsons, Diggs and Bland for picks at the appropriate time. Each one of these players is worth at least a first round pick and more.

17. If you get two first round picks for Cee Dee, Parsons and/or Diggs you should theoretically be able to replace the said player and fill another hole and keep your cap in relative order.

18. I am not saying trade away all of our great players or any of them, but if you keep Dak you sacrifice one or more of those players and team depth. That’s just the way it is.

19. If I had my way I would move on from Dak and try to make the most of the assets on hand whether via extending them, or swapping them for draft picks and/or players and moving forward.
That's a lot of thinking....

Chasing6

Reaction score
"3. My biggest complaint of the Cowboys is the tendency to overpay their own, overestimate talent that exists on the team, and a failure to move on from players."

I could not agree with this more.
Well then you should be happy.

1. We did not over pay any of our own
2. We have not over estimated and paid anyone from another team
3. And we let everyone walk.

Championship!!!

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
The Dolphins had less cap space than us.

They added some nice players.

Using the cap to excuse Dallas’ total ignoring of FA to this point doesn’t fly. If you want to make things happen, you can. if you are smart.

They could have restructured one contract and been able to sign Josey Jewell, for example.

We need to stop blaming the cap for what Dallas does. They sit out FA because they choose to, not because they are cap strapped.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
The Dolphins had less cap space than us.

They added some nice players.

Using the cap to excuse Dallas’ total ignoring of FA to this point doesn’t fly. If you want to make things happen, you can. if you are smart.

They could have restructured one contract and been able to sign Josey Jewell, for example.

We need to stop blaming the cap for what Dallas does. They sit out FA because they choose to, not because they are cap strapped.
You’re not thinking about the big picture….we need to save our cap room for the future so we can save more cap room for the future future

Chasing6

Reaction score
You’re not thinking about the big picture….we need to save our cap room for the future so we can save more cap room for the future future
Yes, GM Jeruh plans on saving up for when Salary Cap goes backwards then we will be in business.

kskboys

Reaction score

Agree, except 13. Taco was BPA. Joseph was just an incredibly stupid pick.

StarLord

Reaction score

So ultimately you're a.. Dak hater? I kid.

This was well thought out and well articulated. Good stuff. The. Cap. Is. Real.

Havic

Reaction score
Not restructuring other players outside of Dak, Making Dak + Coaches play it out, tells me the Jones understand we are not close and that last season was actually their "all in" year.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Yep, absolutely correct, and Jerry has 30 years worth of excellent playoff success to prove it.

Right?

Sydla

Reaction score
But bizarrely we sit out FA to save our cap room but then every offseason we seem to be up against the cap.

LOL.

Verdict

Reaction score
But bizarrely we sit out FA to save our cap room but then every offseason we seem to be up against the cap.

LOL.
It’s because we choose to overpay for average talent. Tank was one of the top paid at his position but he is only a slightly above average player. We WAY overpaid Zeke. We paid Witten long past his prime. We paid Tyron to sit out multiple games every year. Sean Lee was paid way past his prime.

It’s not so much that the Cowboys are cheap. They just fail to shop for middle tier free agents. You don’t have to sign the top end, but grab one when a deal makes sense.

Instead we paid Gallup as though he was going to be the next greatest receiver coming off of major injury. Same with Steele. Piss poor cap management.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well then you should be happy.

1. We did not over pay any of our own
2. We have not over estimated and paid anyone from another team
3. And we let everyone walk.

Championship!!!
They have overpaid for their own plenty of times recently. No doubt they will again so don't worry. The only player they have let walk they will hurt them is Gilmore you can make a case for hankins. While id love them to make some moves they don't have to be Washington dumb in making them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So you want to take a team that went to the playoffs 3 straight seasons with 12-5 records. And basically you are saying blow it up.
Especially when they could go further with the right kind of moves. I know many want one move to be made, but then we have no idea what the new QB can really do.

Surround him with better players, which they seem to be allergic to doing and rely on the draft. Which has not really been all that successful.
Still not a reason to blow up the team at this point. IMO.