a few things that stuck in my mind this morning

dirt

Reaction score
1 that football field looked like crap. It appeared slick outside the hash especially near the sidelines and looked like a bunch of gophers got done with it after the game. I can remember several instances of especially Barber trying to make a severe cut and slipping and TO looked like he was on roller skates during the play he hurt his ankle.

2.after reading the articles by various Cowboys writers, I am not sure if they won; if they are 3-13; if they can ever win another game or if everything is fine. Some say the defense sucked, others say we won because of the d. I think during a 16 game schedule, you get 3-4 games where everything just clicks and all phases dominate--often determined by the health of the team and favorable matchups. The rest of the season is a grind where the team has to overcome physical and mental fatigue, injuries, playing on Saturdays and Thursdays messing with your routine and win on the road.
There are no style points in the win loss column but there is a "species" of sports writer in every city who makes their living criticizing. Imagine the women who have to live with these guys! "Honey dinner was great. That was an amazing filet mignon BUT the potatoes were just a bit runny and the gravy was cold and desert wasnt quite up to par with last nights"

3. Carolina just beat Seattle last week! Seattle last time I looked was a playoff team. The difference between Seattle and Dallas was their physicallity. Seattle is a powder puff team by my impression (case in point was the 4th and very short against Cleveland earlier in which Seattle could not gain a foot and got blasted back sending Holmgren into a rage) The Cowboys beat Carolina down. That is a physical front 4 with great speed at LB. I was impressed by their effort although it was clear that the Cowboys were a better team. Their problems lie more on the offensive side of the ball.

4.Tank showed incredible explosion on his sack. That was border line call and on the whole the game was poorly officiated which is obvious to everyone.

5.Newman really looked like he was just trying to hold on. He even ran past a play instead of getting involved in the tackle. We all know that is not him. He is more than willling to come in and make a hit. To see him just get run over on the one play tells me he is hurting more than we know.

6. I was never really worried about losing that game. Maybe 2-1 in possession time leaves that impression. It seemed that after TO got hurt, they went a little conservative and just tried to ride it out and emphasize the run.

7. speaking of the run, JJ seems to have lost his mojo. You see visible signs of frustration at times. We all know he is best on the edges and ineffective between the tackles but he is continually run up the middle. His best run around left side called back by a phantom holding call on Procter illustrates that. Not sure what the thinking is here.

8. the completion to Smith on 4th and long really disappointed me. It seemed the boys were celebrating the sack just a bit much and didnt set for the 4th down play. That being said, Canty doing the flex was impressive--some great guns. Take away that play and the long run and the defense was dominant, especially against the run. The d line has really progressed and we dont hear much about our old whipping boy Spears. He has elevated his game against the run and is knocking down passes. Hatcher ran down a screen from behind! Canty, Ratliff and Tank get props as well

ologan

Reaction score
You don't post much,Dirt,but when you do,your spot on!

dirt

Reaction score
thanks gentlemen
just like to read and put in my 2 cents every now and then
the many excellent members on this site usually beat me too most observations!

Scotman

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. No NFL game should be expected to be a cakewalk. That said, I never felt like this game was in danger either. Newman definately seems hobbled. I completely disagreed with the call on Tank but we dodged a bullet with Reeves mugging of the receiver and the resulting no call.

Canty and Spears have both come on as of late. I think as fans we tend to give up on lineman too quickly. Spears looks more and more like the player we all wanted him to be right out of the box.

To parrot everyone else, great post.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dirt;1852378 said:
2.after reading the articles by various Cowboys writers, I am not sure if they won; if they are 3-13;

No kidding. Same things after the GB and Detroit game. Those guys seem to only look at the negative in Dallas and only the positives in other teams.

I did notice that the kick off coverage in this game was the worst it has been all season. The poor coverage consistently gave the Panthers good field position. That needs to be shored up.

Boysboy

Reaction score
joseephuss;1852408 said:
No kidding. Same things after the GB and Detroit game. Those guys seem to only look at the negative in Dallas and only the positives in other teams.

I did notice that the kick off coverage in this game was the worst it has been all season. The poor coverage consistently gave the Panthers good field position. That needs to be shored up.

With Watkins out, we were THIN in ST coverage. Hopefully-he'll be back next week!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good post, Dirt. I especially liked this:

I think during a 16 game schedule, you get 3-4 games where everything just clicks and all phases dominate--often determined by the health of the team and favorable matchups. The rest of the season is a grind where the team has to overcome physical and mental fatigue, injuries, playing on Saturdays and Thursdays messing with your routine and win on the road.

That's very true... And that's when you have a *good* team.

It's amazing how fast some people have gotten spoiled. Just last year we were scraping by most weeks and Parcells was talking about how close wins were good because it made your team "battle hardened". Now, if we don't win by at least two scores, it's disaster time.

dirt

Reaction score
Soomething that has always stuck in my mind was the comment by Emmitt Smith back in the day when he was asked what it was like to play running back in the NFL?
He said that each carry was like getting into a car wreck, picking your self up off the ground and doing it again and again.
We have no idea as fans of the incredible physical nature of this game. It looks so easy on tv!
Grinding out a win is exactly what it is. By the 13th game it comes down to who is most mentally tough and who wants it the most.
this separates the Pats from the Jets and the Cowboys from the Lions
Yesterday our defense decided that it was going to buckle down and 5 sacks and a goal line stand resulted.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dirt;1852378 said:
7. speaking of the run, JJ seems to have lost his mojo. You see visible signs of frustration at times. We all know he is best on the edges and ineffective between the tackles but he is continually run up the middle. His best run around left side called back by a phantom holding call on Procter illustrates that. Not sure what the thinking is here.

It looked like a hold to me. If not held Julius gets stopped.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1852538 said:
Good post, Dirt. I especially liked this:

That's very true... And that's when you have a *good* team.

It's amazing how fast some people have gotten spoiled. Just last year we were scraping by most weeks and Parcells was talking about how close wins were good because it made your team "battle hardened". Now, if we don't win by at least two scores, it's disaster time.

In romo's first statement after the game last night he said I know because we lost last week now we suck...

I was cracking up, He was talking like us and like parcells.

If the defense has another good game, I am going to be feeling really good about that opening round, with or without owens. Hopefully with.

that would have been a rout last night had owens played the whole game.