A few way to simplify/improve the NFL Rules

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here are a few ways to simply/improve the NFL Rules. For this, we will use the rule book to find rules that could use some adjustments: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-rulebook/

• Catches - there are still a lot of situations where what a catch is can still cause confusion. To me, it makes sense to use the college rules for what constitutes a catch. If a player gets a minimum of a foot down with possession that survives the ground, it should be a catch. Simple as that. As long as the ball doesn't move, it's a catch.
  • Roughing the Passer - this is one where there seems to be a lot of different ways that roughing the passer can be called. It can be very convoluted as to a hit that results in RTP compared to another hit in a similar spot. I think the rules should be simplified a bit to make it easier to understand what hit results in RTP. Plus, similar to how college reviews targeting calls, it would be smart to have RTP calls be reviewed. Sometimes, a flag will be thrown, and the announcers will question if a hit really warrants the call (including the TV rules analyst). If they could review RTP, then they could see if a hit really warrants a call.
  • Pass Interference (specifically, what's a catchable ball) - this isn't so much about the difficulty in what constitutes a call as to the way the penalty is applied. Part of the rule is that the throw must be catchable. The Colts got screwed twice by this because two of the throws against the Browns that were called DPI were not catchable. This is one where the League needs to make a choice. Do they want to keep the language of catchable ball, or do they want to remove the language. The way I see it, if they want to keep that language in, then it's illegal contact, which doesn't require a pass to be catchable (and a review should be conducted if PI is called). If they do not want that language, then remove it. If they go with this option, then PI should be a 15 yard penalty as opposed to a spot foul. This would simplify/improve the rule because there are many occasions where PI is called where illegal contact was the more accurate call. The language for what constitutes catchable pass needs to be simplified.
  • Intentional Grounding - similar to PI, this isn't so much about the rule as to the application of the rule. I'm particularly referring to the Bills play where Josh Allen throws a deep ball thinking that his WR was continuing on with the option route. If the rule simplified or made to account for option routes, then I think it'd make the application of the rule simpler. I'd simplify it to say, if the QB is in the pocket, then the ball must be in the vicinity of the expected route/location of a player. If a player is cutting on a post, and the QB is throwing it 6 yards behind where a post or a hitch would be run, then it'd grounding. But, if it's in the vicinity of the post or a similar route where an expected pass would be, then it's not grounding. That way, it allows for more flexibility in case the WR is running an option route.

These are a few rules that could use a bit of simplification or adjustments to allow for the complexity of a modern offense. I think PI and catches particularly need either simplification or clarification. There are other rules that could use scrutiny. These are just key rules that I chose to highlight.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The thing I keep hearing everyone complaining about is missed Holds (usually on OLine)

Just not sure you can change that....as there are probably 100 different instances up and down the line, where by letter of the law you could call a Hold...on both teams...INCLUDING US..... but it would ruin the game.

The only thing I could really suggest here, that wouldn't render the game unwatchable and turn it into a 6 hour snooze fest, is to maybe add 1 more official.....but jeez that might conjest the field. I think it is what it is.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The thing I keep hearing everyone complaining about is missed Holds (usually on OLine)

Just not sure you can change that....as there are probably 100 different instances up and down the line, where by letter of the law you could call a Hold...on both teams...INCLUDING US..... but it would ruin the game.

The only thing I could really suggest here, that wouldn't render the game unwatchable and turn it into a 6 hour snooze fest, is to maybe add 1 more official.....but jeez that might conjest the field. I think it is what it is.

I thought about including holding, but it's part of the game. Though, holding should be a rule that is clarified to make it clearer. Unfortunately, it's the most arbitrary rule.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They could literally call holding on every play - every team does it, offensively and defensively - but who wants to watch that? Just call the blatant ones, please.

I agree with your catch rule - you're either in or out. I see nothing magical about two feet, especially when they make exceptions for one knee or a butt cheek. In or out.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Catches - there are still a lot of situations where what a catch is can still cause confusion. To me, it makes sense to use the college rules for what constitutes a catch. If a player gets a minimum of a foot down with possession that survives the ground, it should be a catch. Simple as that. As long as the ball doesn't move, it's a catch.
So you're saying Dez didn't catch it. I know, right? Lol.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They could literally call holding on every play - every team does it, offensively and defensively - but who wants to watch that? Just call the blatant ones, please.

I agree with your catch rule - you're either in or out. I see nothing magical about two feet, especially when they make exceptions for one knee or a butt cheek. In or out.

Exactly, I don't see why two feet makes something more of a catch than one foot. Is it in the hands? Is a part of the body down? Catch!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So you're saying Dez didn't catch it. I know, right? Lol.

Honestly, I don't know. Plus, I'm over the whole Dez caught it thing. Who knows if it would've made a difference? Heck that wasn't even the reason I made this thread lol. I'm just talking about streamlining some of the rules.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The push out catch did it for me, bring that back
No, that's a subjective call, less of those.

I hate roughing the passer. Hit them high? Penalty. Hit them low? Penalty. Hit them too late? Penalty. Land on them during a sack? Penalty. Just go ahead and give the QB flags already so they don't get hit at all.

PI needs to just be 15 yards with the way they call penalties on the DB's these days. It's gotten ridiculous. You can't play defense anymore. Most hits are flagged. If you touch a WR at all you risk getting a call. I get some people love games with tons of points but that's boring if it's just a TD every drive because playing defense is illegal. Makes the game much less enjoyable IMO.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. Plus, I'm over the whole Dez caught it thing. Who knows if it would've made a difference? Heck that wasn't even the reason I made this thread lol. I'm just talking about streamlining some of the rules.
Just messing. As soon as you said "survive the ground" it's the first thing I thought of.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
No, that's a subjective call, less of those.

I hate roughing the passer. Hit them high? Penalty. Hit them low? Penalty. Hit them too late? Penalty. Land on them during a sack? Penalty. Just go ahead and give the QB flags already so they don't get hit at all.

PI needs to just be 15 yards with the way they call penalties on the DB's these days. It's gotten ridiculous. You can't play defense anymore. Most hits are flagged. If you touch a WR at all you risk getting a call. I get some people love games with tons of points but that's boring if it's just a TD every drive because playing defense is illegal. Makes the game much less enjoyable IMO.
I like the PI - fixed yards policy , but it should be spot or 15 yards whichever is greater , isnt it?

That would prevent some teams ( who always get the benefit of doubt ) with Refs , not to throw the ball up for grabs and hope defensive guys breath on receiver and get a PI, to move the ball.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
well i am all for simpler rules, but particularily am in less rules. but I will work with your ideas if I may:

Catches: I actually kind of like how much they have fixed the rules of the past on this. The one foot down = catch is good for college, but I would keep it both feet as it is in the NFL. Otherwise, you will see the passing game explode giving less importance to defense and the running game. As far as what is a catch, it is their rule that the ball has to show being in control to the ground, so I am not sure what difference you are making. this one I would leave as is.

As for Roughing the Passer: this one might be unpopular to the young folks out there, but they need to reverse course a number of years worth of rules on this one. My opinion is no special treatment for QBs. none of this 'no hitting above the shoulders' and 'no hitting below the waist' crap. defenders should not be penalized for unintentional momentum hits. I mean if they are one or two steps away running full force, no way they are stopping. chlotheslining and truly late hits yeah penalize them, but otherwise refs need to back off.

PI - I do like the fact that the refs are calling less of them these days then in years past because my motto is let the guys play. as far as the rule and its implemntation, my opnion is this: for uncatchable, yeah not PI. If it is PI that doesn't truly restrict the WR from catching the ball but truly a PI by rule then 15 yard penalty (not automatic 1st down). If it is obvious PI that truly disrupts the WRs ability to catch the ball, then PI ball given at point of offense (as it is now). I originally thought 15 yard (like college) like you, but you would have defenders going all out if they have a slight sense the WR would beat them and catch the ball. under my rule, those ones would be obvious and receive a point of foul flag and deservably so.

intentional grounding: ehh I would keep it as is. dont let refs have to guess where WRs might go or have gone. Go by what is on field. if a wr and qb aren't synchronized enough, then well maybe they will work on it.

EDIT: after reading nalam's post above mine, I have to say the 15 yard PI call would have to be spot or 15 yards -> whichever is less; but again intentional and deliberate PIs getting the spot foul call wherever it occurred.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
well i am all for simpler rules, but particularily am in less rules. but I will work with your ideas if I may:

Catches: I actually kind of like how much they have fixed the rules of the past on this. The one foot down = catch is good for college, but I would keep it both feet as it is in the NFL. Otherwise, you will see the passing game explode giving less importance to defense and the running game. As far as what is a catch, it is their rule that the ball has to show being in control to the ground, so I am not sure what difference you are making. this one I would leave as is.

As for Roughing the Passer: this one might be unpopular to the young folks out there, but they need to reverse course a number of years worth of rules on this one. My opinion is no special treatment for QBs. none of this 'no hitting above the shoulders' and 'no hitting below the waist' crap. defenders should not be penalized for unintentional momentum hits. I mean if they are one or two steps away running full force, no way they are stopping. chlotheslining and truly late hits yeah penalize them, but otherwise refs need to back off.

PI - I do like the fact that the refs are calling less of them these days then in years past because my motto is let the guys play. as far as the rule and its implemntation, my opnion is this: for uncatchable, yeah not PI. If it is PI that doesn't truly restrict the WR from catching the ball but truly a PI by rule then 15 yard penalty (not automatic 1st down). If it is obvious PI that truly disrupts the WRs ability to catch the ball, then PI ball given at point of offense (as it is now). I originally thought 15 yard (like college) like you, but you would have defenders going all out if they have a slight sense the WR would beat them and catch the ball. under my rule, those ones would be obvious and receive a point of foul flag and deservably so.

intentional grounding: ehh I would keep it as is. dont let refs have to guess where WRs might go or have gone. Go by what is on field. if a wr and qb aren't synchronized enough, then well maybe they will work on it.

EDIT: after reading nalam's post above mine, I have to say the 15 yard PI call would have to be spot or 15 yards -> whichever is less; but again intentional and deliberate PIs getting the spot foul call wherever it occurred.

That's all fair. I think PI is probably the biggest area that needs revising. At the very least, it and RTP should be automatically reviewed just to ensure that the foul truly fits the bill for DPI or RTP.